The Fiio X5 Thread
Apr 5, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #6,137 of 19,652
Greetings to everyone. 

Just received my Fiio x5 and  have a few problems loading music on it. Hopefully I can get some help here.
 I bought a SCANDISK 64 gb  ( Pixtor) card from best buy.
 Formatted the disc and then loaded some flac files to the card.
 Inserted card into X5 and went to settings.
 Clicked on manual " Upload media lib " 
 got this message media lib update complete  0 song updated.

Firmware version1.2

Anybody have any ideas?

Apr 5, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #6,138 of 19,652
  Greetings to everyone. 

Just received my Fiio x5 and  have a few problems loading music on it. Hopefully I can get some help here.
 I bought a SCANDISK 64 gb  ( Pixtor) card from best buy.
 Formatted the disc and then loaded some flac files to the card.
 Inserted card into X5 and went to settings.
 Clicked on manual " Upload media lib " 
 got this message media lib update complete  0 song updated.

Firmware version1.2

Anybody have any ideas?

Can you browse the files?

If not, check your card, make sure it's formatted in FAT32.

if you are too lazy to download format software, just format the card in X5. That's what I did. :p

Apr 5, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #6,140 of 19,652
Question about preparing files for use on the X5: I plan on loading only FLAC files onto the X5 when I get one and I can either 1) re-rip my CDs with XLD or 2) use Auditri (see link) to convert my AIFF rips to FLAC -- is there any reason NOT to use Auditri to simply convert from AIFF to FLAC? It takes only five seconds to convert an album, but can take ten minutes to scan and rip using XLD. Ideas?

Thanks.

Apr 5, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #6,141 of 19,652
So I've been using the X5 with mp3s for a while now and noticed something. While in gapless playback and shuffle, letting the player skip to the next track on its own features almost no lag. However when I manually choose a song, it takes around 2-3 seconds to load and sometimes the beginning of the song is clipped and I have to restart the song to let it run properly. Problem? Or is it just cos of the processor not being able to cope with loading?

Apr 5, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #6,142 of 19,652
Just heard about this on the Pono Kickstarter campaign page. Hard to say how they compare since Pono isn't released and they are not releasing specs or even proper listening tests, but price for X5 is lower and reviews are very good. Sony's ZX1 appears to have low volume output, and it's quite a bit more expensive.

Is the battery user-replaceable? By that I mean no soldering needed, just basic tools, and a standard battery which can be found on eBay or elsewhere.

How high is the volume? My Kef m200 are a bit too low on volume with an iPod compared to Sennheiser CX-300, and I don't want to carry a separate amp with a portable device.

edit: sent a query to eaemporium regarding warranty, which is the official FiiO distributor according to their eBay page. EU law requires two years of warranty, but their eBay page says only one. I asked them whether they will honor the EU requirement. Will report back when I hear from them.

Apr 5, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #6,143 of 19,652
Volume is plenty high enough for me, I am at 75 out of 120 on my SE846's, and I leave it at 75 and control the volume with the E12 for my LCD-2s. what volume are other people listening to their X5's at?

Apr 5, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #6,144 of 19,652
I just got my X5 in Australia, and doing some initial comparisons with my good old X3.

Sound wise, I found X3 and X5 is very different. X3 is a bit more lively and exciting, whereas X5 sounds cleaner but has far better 3D sound stage and imaging. It's almost like X3 makes any recordings sound energetic and in-your-face, whereas X5 makes bad recordings sound bad. An analogy may be X3 is like Grado and X5 is like Beyerdynamic, if you know what I mean.

One thing I found a bit disappointing is that X5 has a nice amp section but it still struggles with high impedance headphones like 3~600 ohm. Power output is only as good as USB bus powered headphone amps, not desktop amps with a huge power supply. It does make the headphones loud enough, but it becomes sloppy and thin when using high impedance headphones.

The interface is also not as good as I hoped. It's a glorified high-res version of X3. I wish it was better. I am annoyed that, as far as I know, I still can't choose Genre>Artist>Album, etc. If I choose a Genre, it simply plays every song in that Genre in alphabetical order, which is ridiculous and useless.

Not sure if it was reported earlier, but I once had one weird experience where the LCD screen was flipped like a mirror image. I restarted the X5 and it went back to normal again.

Apr 5, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #6,145 of 19,652

Not sure if it was reported earlier, but I once had one weird experience where the LCD screen was flipped like a mirror image. I restarted the X5 and it went back to normal again.

Odd, I haven't seen that one, come to think of it I haven't noticed any bugs yet.

Apr 5, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #6,146 of 19,652
Volume is plenty high enough for me, I am at 75 out of 120 on my SE846's, and I leave it at 75 and control the volume with the E12 for my LCD-2s. what volume are other people listening to their X5's at?

Whoa. I think I'd go deaf if I approached anywhere near that. I stay at around 50 usually. Isn't the SE846 only 8ohms?

Apr 5, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #6,147 of 19,652
Yeah I think it's around 9 ohms, doesn't seem too loud for me, it's only a little over halfway, in fact I think the default was 60, so it's not much more than that.

Apr 5, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #6,148 of 19,652
I have a few question for X5's users.
Is the navigation in menu and between different albums fast ? Does it compare with the navigation speed of a android phone or iPhone player ? Is that faster than the fiio X3 because I had to wait a lot of time to go through all my albums to find the good one. Is the scrolling speed progressively faster like it is in the iPod ? Thank you for all your informations.

Apr 5, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #6,150 of 19,652
I have a few question for X5's users.

Is the navigation in menu and between different albums fast ? Does it compare with the navigation speed of a android phone or iPhone player ? Is that faster than the fiio X3 because I had to wait a lot of time to go through all my albums to find the good one. Is the scrolling speed progressively faster like it is in the iPod ? Thank you for all your informations.

Yes it is progressively faster like the iPod, if you scroll slow it will go slower and if you spin the wheel fast it goes faster, I think it's actually a pretty nice wheel though there are quite a few complaints about it. So far no UI problems for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back