The Fiio X5 Thread
Apr 6, 2014 at 2:27 AM Post #6,166 of 19,652
Yeah, honestly I think it just feels different from what people are used too, kind of looser feeling whereas the iPod was a bit tighter, certainly doesn't feel wobbly or flimsy to me though, but only time will tell on that.

Apr 6, 2014 at 3:31 AM Post #6,168 of 19,652
During one of my constant X5 listening sessions (I'm addicted) I was thinking about what I called a 'quirk' while in Lockscreen2, the one where the side volume buttons act as a Prev/Next function when held for a moment instead of just being pressed.

Then it hit me.... This is actually perfect for Lockscreen1. With a few people saying the buttons are too easy to accidentally press in Lockscreen2 this is the solution to skip forward and back with Lockscreen1. Now if Fiio could also implement the Play/Pause button in Lockscreen1 I'm sure a lot of users would use that option exclusively as it would bypass the accidental 'X' button presses. I'm sure I'm not the first to realize this, but I thought I'd share for those that didn't know.

Apr 6, 2014 at 3:33 AM Post #6,169 of 19,652
By the way the volume buttons seem reversed to me when used to skip songs in the lock screen. Volume up is Prev and volume down is Next. Should be the other way around IMO.

Apr 6, 2014 at 4:51 AM Post #6,171 of 19,652
I'll do it

Apr 6, 2014 at 4:55 AM Post #6,172 of 19,652
400 pages, wow.

Does X5 support mp3gain or replaygain tags, and is there an equivalent for FLACs so that different tracks have the same volume - I'm new to HD audio? Note I'm not talking about normalizing music, which is bad.

edit: searching this thread seems like there's no such support. James from FiiO mentioned in October that they might be able to add ReplaGain feature in the future, but since there hasn't been a mention since, I assume this has not been and will not be included in the foreseeable future. This is pretty much a dealbreaker, as my listening is 99% on shuffle, and I'm too lazy to reach to my pocket to change the volume every track
frown.gif

Can I select a playlist or genre and have it play in random order on the X5?

Quote:
Yeah I think it's around 9 ohms, doesn't seem too loud for me, it's only a little over halfway, in fact I think the default was 60, so it's not much more than that.

Kef M200 is 12 ohms, so if 9 ohms is halfway for listening, I think the X5 should have enough volume for even those like me who prefer their music loud
basshead.gif

Apr 6, 2014 at 5:53 AM Post #6,173 of 19,652
Here are my impressions of the X5 after several days.  Keep in mind that I have little experience with portable audio or headphones, but I have a long history with stereo eqiupment, speaker buliding, computer music servers, High res audio files and stand alone dacs.  Just recently, before the X5 purchase, I used a rockboxed Sansa Clip Zip with an exclusive diet of FLAC, including some 96/24 and 192/24 files, which could not be played at native resolution on the Sansa.  .I thought the Sansa sounded OK until I tried the X5,  Now the Sansa sounds like I'm listening to my music inside a tin can by comparison.

The X5 user interface is growing on me as I get used to it.  As long as I can find and play my music by album I am happy and the X5 does this just fine.  I will wait for firmware updates in hopes that issues with album art and gapless playback will be solved.  I listen to all genres of music, but lean more to vocals, guitar rock and jazz.  The neutrality and detail of the X5 on normal EQ is very satisfying and I have never moved from a flat EQ.  I have been going back through my music library finding nuances I have missed in the past. Just now I'm listening to an 88Khz 24 bit Mahler symphony and it is very detailed, warm and pleasing.  What I find is that the best quality music is all about the mastering and not really about the bit rate. Many well produced and mastered 44.1 khz 16 bit CDs sound every bit as good (and sometimes better) than a 192 KHZ 24 bit file.  Caveat Emptor when it comes to paying inflated prices for High res albums.

I don't have great headphones and I'm looking for some detailed spacious and neutral headphones for the X5 that won't break the bank.  My powered noise cancelling Audio Technicas while fine for air plane travel just don't cut it for quiet listening and capturing detail from the X5.  While I'm looking for suitable headphone to drive with the X5 without using an accessory amplifier;(recommendations anyone? - I'm thinking of the ATH M50x), I bought some el-cheapo phones to tide me over while I look.  I picked up a set of Koss UR-40s for 29 bucks; they're cheaply made and seem a little fragile, but I'm astonished at how good they sound.  Instead of beating myself up for throwing away money on a useless interim headphone, I'm feeling clever for finding such a bargain that sounds so surprisingly good, anyone else have this experience with these headphones?

Apr 6, 2014 at 6:43 AM Post #6,174 of 19,652
So I was at the NY meet yesterday, and had a chance to listen to X3, X5, and AK100, 120, and 240.  This was with UE reference monitors(very neutral, clear and transparent that reveal how well the source is).

Best to not best:

1. AK240 or 120 pretty close
2. AK100
3. X5
4. X3

I was surprised how great sounding AK were.  X5 is no slouch as it sounded more musical than X3.  Didn't like the X3, X3 has the usual electrical sound that I've experienced with their amps(haven't been a huge fan of Fiio product sounds, always been disappointed, so I started to lose faith.  I guess specs is not everything).  I say I like the direction Fiio is going with X5, the sound is very musical.

Apr 6, 2014 at 7:25 AM Post #6,176 of 19,652
  So I was at the NY meet yesterday, and had a chance to listen to X3, X5, and AK100, 120, and 240.  This was with UE reference monitors(very neutral, clear and transparent that reveal how well the source is).

Best to not best:

2. AK100
3. X5
4. X3

I was surprised how great sounding AK were.  X5 is no slouch as it sounded more musical than X3.  Didn't like the X3, X3 has the usual electrical sound that I've experienced with their amps(haven't been a huge fan of Fiio product sounds, always been disappointed, so I started to lose faith.  I guess specs is not everything).  I say I like the direction Fiio is going with X5, the sound is very musical.

I don't think Ak100 can be better than X5 . X5 have bigger sound stage, better sepperation and more detail :v

Apr 6, 2014 at 7:28 AM Post #6,177 of 19,652

Best to not best:

2. AK100
3. X5
4. X3

i will be visiting a headphone store early next week and will be putting those same daps to the test as they sell both. well except the x3 as i already own it. 
to be honest i was hoping that the x5 would rank higher than the ak100 and even the 120.

Apr 6, 2014 at 8:36 AM Post #6,179 of 19,652
i guess time and general consensus will let us know where the x5 fits in the dap ranking

going to great when the calyx and the dx90 are added to the list

Apr 6, 2014 at 9:33 AM Post #6,180 of 19,652

Thing is... that's sort of a standard. Kind of a glaring omission imho.

I am really confused about why Fiio never implemented Genre>Artist>Album and Genre>Album structure for both X3 and X5.
All other players I can think of does it this way. iTunes, iPod, Walkman, all the Android apps I use, like Poweramp, Neutron, etc... This is the way people navigate in every other programs.

I have a feeling that the guys at Fiio testing these units don't actually have hundreds of songs in the memory card, like us users do.
If you have more than a few hundred songs, it becomes really tedious to navigate with Fiio's primitive method. I mean, would anybody actually choose "Genre" and listen to all the songs in that genre from A-Z?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back