The Fiio X3 Thread.
Aug 10, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #3,827 of 17,481

My X3 arrived today. I put some of my favorite FLACs on a card and compared the X3 to my current player, a Colorfly C4. I only used my primary headphones, orthodynamic Smeggy Thunderpants (50 ohm). These are low sensitivity headphones, though not as low as some others.

Bass: Same quantity. The X3 is better controlled which is important as the Thunderpants can get a bit flabby with some amplification.

Mids: More difference here. The Colorfly is more prominent (I think this is why some people have called the X3 "thin"). I prefer the X3. If you have compared electrostatic phones to dynamic ones you will know what I am talking about. The X3 is an electrostatic, the Colorfly a dynamic. To me this results in a less fatiguing sound.

Highs: Similar in tonal balance. The X3 is less edgy (and the Colorfly is itself one of the smoother DAPs).

Imaging: The X3 is more precisely focused, the Colorfly more diffuse. Not enough of a difference to be very significant.

Power: X3 wins hands down. Set to high gain, has much more headroom and shows little signs of strain except at high levels.

Looks: While the X3 is a very nice looking unit and substantially made, the Colorfly wins hands down. Can't win everything :)

UI: Haven't really had much time to play with the X3 but the Colorfly has an extremely basic UI and it's hard to believe the X3 won't be better.

Storage: Colorfly has 32GB internal and can take a 32GB SD. X3 has 8GB internal and can cake a 64GB microSD.

Convenience: X3 is much smaller so better on planes which is where I use a DAP. Only downside is the X3 only has a 1/8" jack (Colorfly has a 1/4" also). Anyone know of a well made but not over-priced flexible 14" to 1/8" adapter? I could make my own but 1/4" inline jacks are not too common.

Conclusion: Except for looks except for looks and the lack of a 1/4" jack (which wouldn't have fit in the case)  the X3 wins in every instance. So a $200 DAP beats (at least with my 'phones' and my tastes) a $750 one. I will be selling my Colorfly. I will start with using a 32GB card and will go to a 64GB with the next firmware release,

Aug 10, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #3,829 of 17,481
Double post deleted

Aug 10, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #3,831 of 17,481
I promised i would look into the 64GB card issue/bug, as soon as i would get the X3.

I still haven't received it, and i'm really hoping i'll get it tuesday (growing rather impatient, with all of you already playing with them)

-CH23

Aug 10, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #3,832 of 17,481
Aug 10, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #3,833 of 17,481
Quote:

My X3 arrived today. I put some of my favorite FLACs on a card and compared the X3 to my current player, a Colorfly C4. I only used my primary headphones, orthodynamic Smeggy Thunderpants (50 ohm). These are low sensitivity headphones, though not as low as some others.

Bass: Same quantity. The X3 is better controlled which is important as the Thunderpants can get a bit flabby with some amplification.

Mids: More difference here. The Colorfly is more prominent (I think this is why some people have called the X3 "thin"). I prefer the X3. If you have compared electrostatic phones to dynamic ones you will know what I am talking about. The X3 is an electrostatic, the Colorfly a dynamic. To me this results in a less fatiguing sound.

Highs: Similar in tonal balance. The X3 is less edgy (and the Colorfly is itself one of the smoother DAPs).

Imaging: The X3 is more precisely focused, the Colorfly more diffuse. Not enough of a difference to be very significant.

Power: X3 wins hands down. Set to high gain, has much more headroom and shows no signs of strain at very high levels.

Looks: While the X3 is a very nice looking unit and substantially made, the Colorfly wins hands down. Can't win everything :)

UI: Haven't really had much time to play with the X3 but the Colorfly has an extremely basic UI and it's hard to believe the X3 won't be better.

Storage: Colorfly has 32GB internal and can take a 32GB SD. X3 has 8GB internal and can cake a 64GB microSD.

Convenience: X3 is much smaller so better on planes which is where I use a DAP. Only downside is the X3 only has a 1/8" jack (Colorfly has a 1/4" also). Anyone know of a well made but not over-priced flexible 14" to 1/8" adapter? I could make my own but 1/4" inline jacks are not too common.

Conclusion: Except for looks except for looks and the lack of a 1/4" jack (which wouldn't have fit in the case)  the X3 wins in every instance. So a $200 DAP beats (at least with my 'phones' and my tastes) a $750 one. I will be selling my Colorfly. I will start with using a 32GB card and will go to a 64GB with the next firmware release,

In my experience, it gets better clarity if you use a line out to a JDS labs c5 (setting the c5 to low gain), stronger bass too.

Aug 10, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #3,834 of 17,481
Im sure its already posted somewhere in the 3500 pages here, but i cannot figure out how to random play all of my music. It wil  random pkay a album but not all albums, otherwise this paired with my vsonic gr07BE or my hifiman re 262s are simply bliss, I will never leave home with out them. Also had problems with my 64 gb card but pulled the 32 gb from my note 2 plugged it in and worked perfectly.

Aug 10, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #3,836 of 17,481
Quote:
Im sure its already posted somewhere in the 3500 pages here, but i cannot figure out how to random play all of my music. It wil  random pkay a album but not all albums, otherwise this paired with my vsonic gr07BE or my hifiman re 262s are simply bliss, I will never leave home with out them. Also had problems with my 64 gb card but pulled the 32 gb from my note 2 plugged it in and worked perfectly.

Go all the way back to the root menu. Go to Play All, and set play mode to Random. 

Aug 10, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #3,837 of 17,481

Power: X3 wins hands down. Set to high gain, has much more headroom and shows no signs of strain at very high levels.

Does Colorfly allow Line Out or CoAxial output like X3?

Aug 10, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #3,839 of 17,481

Users who are viewing this thread

Back