The Fiio X3 Thread.
May 6, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #9,811 of 17,484
Far out, nmatheis, you must be loaded to be able to afford all 3:blink: .  That said, I cannot believe how many headphones I have now.  I believe in light of the thread that these are great responses for those torn between the two.  I guess in terms of bass, would you say that the x3 has emphasised low bass, mid bass or bass overall?  I know that a lot of manufacturers have overpowering midbass in their cans as they perceive that is what the public generally want (i.e. beats cans).  Does the x3 have good bass extension or just an overemphasised bass?

LOL!!! I'm just a middle class guy with a few kids. Definitely not loaded. I just know how and where I want to spend my money :)

As far as X3 vs X5, the X3 definitely has a more 'mass market appeal' approach to bass - more of it and less controlled. The X5 takes a more 'hi-fi approach' - better extension, more control, and more neutral. If you want more bass with the X5, just get bassier HP.

May 6, 2014 at 1:09 AM Post #9,813 of 17,484
With regard to the question of why I would want the X3 to work as a DAC without a powered hub with my iphone, and not use the E07, the answer is simple.  It is better to have one device than two.

That is why smart phones have email, internet access, phones, texting and  cameras.  One device is better than multiple devices.

May 6, 2014 at 2:38 AM Post #9,815 of 17,484
With regard to the question of why I would want the X3 to work as a DAC without a powered hub with my iphone, and not use the E07, the answer is simple.  It is better to have one device than two.

That is why smart phones have email, internet access, phones, texting and  cameras.  One device is better than multiple devices.

The X3 did not have any DAC capability when it was released, ability to decode from a PC and Mac were added in firmware version 2.05 via some clever hacks. I don't think any further hacks can be made to allow the X3 to decode from a smartphone OTG, though you are certainly welcome to try if it works with current firmware.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 6, 2014 at 2:42 AM Post #9,816 of 17,484
Not sure if I'm imagining this....

Had my x3 on fw2.1 and gapless seemed perfect across all formats (flac & 320), I tried the 2.14b and listened to a couple of tracks and it now seems gapless only works on flac. More or less all my music are DJ mix albums so gapless is paramount. Flac is perfect yet anything ripped at 320 inserts a millisecond gap between tracks. I've reverted back to 2.1fw and the problem persists. Now the easy answer would be rip to flac but a lot of the albums I sold ages ago. Is gapless likely to be'properly' fixed? However I am 99% certain it was fine before I dabbled with fw changes

Can you think of any other changes that were made to the system besides the firmware?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 6, 2014 at 2:52 AM Post #9,817 of 17,484

But from what you have described, either with a X3 or a E07, it would of been a 2 device setup anyways.  Just saying that the E07 route might be a more straight forward solution then trying to "hack" the X3 to do it.  Since you have the E07 anyways.

A little side note: I'm sorry but one device is not always better then multiple.  "Jack of all trades, master of none". (Just saying, not trying to stir up anything. Please don't take it in a negative way one bit.)

The X3 did not have any DAC capability when it was released, ability to decode from a PC and Mac were added in firmware version 2.05 via some clever hacks. I don't think any further hacks can be made to allow the X3 to decode from a smartphone OTG, though you are certainly welcome to try if it works with current firmware.

Anyways, like the man said, OTG is not going to be supported on the X3.  Maybe consider the X5 instead if you insisting on the OTG route.

May 6, 2014 at 2:54 AM Post #9,818 of 17,484
@DkHand...

Hi, yes, I have d one a few re-flash cycles to no avail
frown.gif

Bit gutted really as the x3 worked perfectly and now I get the annoying gap
frown.gif

Oh man, that sucks.  Sorry that happened to you.  May I suggest one more thing to try?  Try to download an even older version and flash it to that and go back to FW 2.1.   It's might be a shot in the cold dark night, but might worth a try.

May 6, 2014 at 3:17 AM Post #9,820 of 17,484
thanks all,

this is the sequence of what I have done.....

flashed to 2.14b - had a little tinker
flashed to 2.14b - with list options instead of graphical tile based option

it was then I noticed the gapless issue - which after further investigation seemed to be mp3 format and not flac - the mp3 are all 320kbps

I then flashed back to 2.14b - the issue was still there

I then flashed back to 2.1fw - the issue is still there

I have tinkered around with gapless on / off - on is certainly better as off creates or inserts an even bigger gap

playing is done by category, album, then browse through the list, select and play - this option remains and I have not changed or altered this including any bass, treble, playback options etc

It's a complete mystery, especially as the cd's are native gapless (being continuous mix albums), work fine on my home system yet the fiio seems to now single out the mp3 ones - really bizzare

May 6, 2014 at 3:23 AM Post #9,822 of 17,484
many thanks, I'll also try going back a few versions tonight then back up to 2.1 this evening

failing that, I can re-buy a lot of my older albums relatively cheap from amazon if required :)

May 6, 2014 at 6:26 AM Post #9,824 of 17,484
DKHand;

The reason I would like the unit to work with an iphone is the iphone provides the ability to stream from my NAS server.  So storage goes from 64gb to 12TB.

I have no idea if the OTG capability is what enables the low power mode.  On the E07 there is an option to stop the E07 from charging from the connected device.  That is the key feature that I would want on the X3.  Is that OTG?  I have no idea.  I do know from previous posts that iphones work with powered hubs, but that would defeat my goal of walking around the house with portable access to the NAS.

Why am I debating you anyway? The Fiio people are who I need to convince.

Users who are viewing this thread

• JayF
Back