The Fiio X3 Thread.
May 6, 2014 at 8:38 AM Post #9,828 of 17,483
Since using fw2.14beta volume modded ...any headfier have any issue with battery ? Have fully charged twice and each time used it about 10-15 minutes and the next day power on ..it says low battery and can only play for less than 5 minutes only. Charge it full again and the same scenario.

Any other head fier have this problem?

Any suggestion ?

May 6, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #9,830 of 17,483
DKHand;

The reason I would like the unit to work with an iphone is the iphone provides the ability to stream from my NAS server.  So storage goes from 64gb to 12TB.

I have no idea if the OTG capability is what enables the low power mode.  On the E07 there is an option to stop the E07 from charging from the connected device.  That is the key feature that I would want on the X3.  Is that OTG?  I have no idea.  I do know from previous posts that iphones work with powered hubs, but that would defeat my goal of walking around the house with portable access to the NAS.

Why am I debating you anyway? The Fiio people are who I need to convince.

That is exactly what USB OTG does. That is why I have been saying it is not possible on the X3 and has already been established it is not possible elsewhere on here.

May 6, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #9,831 of 17,483
Since using fw2.14beta volume modded ...any headfier have any issue with battery ? Have fully charged twice and each time used it about 10-15 minutes and the next day power on ..it says low battery and can only play for less than 5 minutes only. Charge it full again and the same scenario.

Any other head fier have this problem?

Any suggestion ?

No. Not I. Been pretty good and normal.

May 6, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #9,832 of 17,483
Measurements here http://personalaudio.ru/raa/otchety/usiliteli/fiio-x3/ show, that the frequency response of X3 is flat and output impedance is quite flat as well, so the bass on X3 is flat.

You've got graphs, I've got both X3 and X5 and my ears...

Is anyone missing with the beta firmware the option to change treble and bass from the quick menu?

I use it often and it is annoying to have to go at root menu to access those settings.

Yes! I'll check if this is in the bugzilla.

May 6, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #9,833 of 17,483
That is exactly what USB OTG does. That is why I have been saying it is not possible on the X3 and has already been established it is not possible elsewhere on here.

Regardless of OTG functionality on the X3, apple won't work with it anyways. Doesn't work with the X5 (which has OTG)

Apple iOS devices are very closed hardware/software.

May 6, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #9,834 of 17,483
  DKHand;

The reason I would like the unit to work with an iphone is the iphone provides the ability to stream from my NAS server.  So storage goes from 64gb to 12TB.

I have no idea if the OTG capability is what enables the low power mode.  On the E07 there is an option to stop the E07 from charging from the connected device.  That is the key feature that I would want on the X3.  Is that OTG?  I have no idea.  I do know from previous posts that iphones work with powered hubs, but that would defeat my goal of walking around the house with portable access to the NAS.

Why am I debating you anyway? The Fiio people are who I need to convince.

Regardless of OTG functionality on the X3, apple won't work with it anyways. Doesn't work with the X5 (which has OTG)

Apple iOS devices are very closed hardware/software.

I think there is some confusion about what USB OTG function means on X3/X5.

On X3 / X5, it means the ability to "host" (*read) USB storage drives and play the music stored on them. It doesn't mean you can use it as an "Slave" mode, which let it acts like an USB DAC for other devices that has USB OTG Host function (i.e. iPhone with iOS7, etc). Having to host devices connect to each other will no work of course, since neither want to be the slave device for the other.

May 6, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #9,836 of 17,483
You've got graphs, I've got both X3 and X5 and my ears...

So?..
Measurements give us the objective information and that is X3 is very flat and has no major output impedance fluctuations to affect a headphone FR. And a possible "better than X3" extension is something within less than 0.2db range, so I kinda envy your hearing.

B.t.w., I don't hear any midbass emphasis on X3 myself.

May 6, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #9,837 of 17,483
So?..
Measurements give us the objective information and that is X3 is very flat and has no major output impedance fluctuations to affect a headphone FR. And a possible "better than X3" extension is something within less than 0.2db range, so I kinda envy your hearing.

B.t.w., I don't hear any midbass emphasis on X3 myself.

I'm a scientist, so you're preaching to the choir about objective measurements. However I do have both X3 and X5 and can tell a difference, as have many others. Have you heard both side by side?

May 6, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #9,838 of 17,483
I'm a scientist, so you're preaching to the choir about objective measurements. However I do have both X3 and X5 and can tell a difference, as have many others. Have you heard both side by side?

No, I haven't heard X5 at all. But even if it has less bass, than X3, it doesn't mean X3 has emphasized bass. For example, some people say X3 has more bass than DX50. But measurements show DX50 output impedance rises in bass area, which cause bass roll off on lower impedance headphones.

May 6, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #9,839 of 17,483

On X3 / X5, it means the ability to "host" (*read) USB storage drives and play the music stored on them. 

Does X3 have this ability (or will get it with 2.16) ?
That would be pretty wasome, although I guess X3 hardware/cpu couldn´t handle an usb-hd smooth or even acceptable. 
Plus the fact X3 reads fat32 only ?

May 6, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #9,840 of 17,483

Does X3 have this ability (or will get it with 2.16) ?
That would be pretty wasome, although I guess X3 hardware/cpu couldn´t handle an usb-hd smooth or even acceptable. 
Plus the fact X3 reads fat32 only ?

It is too early to draw any conclusion at this point, simply based on an uncompleted beta firmware. There is however no reason why it can't do it, as X5 runs on similar hardware. USB harddrive will be a long shot though, as they often draw too much power. USB thumb drive on the other hand is more likely. Well, just have to wait for the official word from FiiO when the next firmware is released.

p/s: thumb drive is usually FAT / FAT16 / FAT32 based.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back