The Fiio X3 Thread.
May 5, 2014 at 5:34 AM Post #9,781 of 17,484
Fiio X3 on order, but I'm still a little confused on which 64GB Micro SD card to buy.
I've established that it needs to be this type '64GB Mobile Ultra Micro SD (SDXC) Card - Class 10 UHS-1'
There's lots of branded cards on the market that fit this exact description, but read speeds range from 30MB/s to 95 MB/s.

Here's the website I was looking at to buy: http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Micro-SDXC?filters=size:65536

My question is, would the read speed affect performance of my Fiio X3 or would a 30MB/s card suffice?
No point in paying for extra read speed if it is not needed
blink.gif

May 5, 2014 at 9:36 AM Post #9,785 of 17,484
Ok. I won't make any further comments regarding 2.16.

However, with the introduction of fw 2.14b it is evident that it's possible to change the sound profile of the x3. I don't know how fiio achieved this, some dac settings?, but this opens a very interesting opportunity. Until now only dacs in the thousand of dollars range allowed to modify the sq trough user settings. If this kind of feature is added to a DAP, well this would be really important for all.

Maybe it is too complicated to include these settings or presets in the GUI. An easy possibility is to release multiple FWs with different tunings. Some people even prefer the sound of the original 2.1, this would be a way to please all, and a very neat feature.

May 5, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #9,786 of 17,484

Well, if that is the case, I will skip with the 2.14b for as long as I own my X3. Bad move. Really frustrating. Are they doing this because X5 users are already selling their X5's since X3 and X5 were sounding almost the same and this would compromise X5 sales? That would be miserable... Well, faithfully I got the 2.14b

You shouldn't be making any decisions based on a couple of BETA fw. This is the kind of conclusions that wont be responsible to make and that fiio is trying to avoid.

Let's take a slower pace when talking about beta fws. I believe that we must express our concerns, but without giving in to hasty conclusions.

May 5, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #9,787 of 17,484

Well, if that is the case, I will skip with the 2.14b for as long as I own my X3. Bad move. Really frustrating. Are they doing this because X5 users are already selling their X5's since X3 and X5 were sounding almost the same and this would compromise X5 sales? That would be miserable... Well, faithfully I got the 2.14b

Conspiracy theory?
rolleyes.gif

sorry, can't check out the logic, are we craying to spend money and time in the new firmware for X3 ? too sad to hear this because we just want to make our customer happy and can have a new UI and some new features with

some bugs fixing.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
May 5, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #9,788 of 17,484
We have seen that fiio is really committed to bringing the best out of the x3. I think that we shouldn't question that.

I just mentioned the UNCONFIRMED sq change with the hope that this could be explored as a means to further improve the x3, not to question fiio commitment.

I think they have already gained our trust in this regard simply by releasing 2.14 ahead, showing us what the x3 is capable of and the hard work they have invested in it.

May 5, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #9,789 of 17,484
Please, let's stop discussing about the FW 2.16b sound quality or any other point related to it.

Who wants to do so, you can enroll in the FiiO X3 beta testing program (with Non Disclosure Agreement) and share comments directly with FiiO and other beta testers.
Otherwise let's wait for the new official release in a couple of weeks and enjoy it 
basshead.gif

I'm personally amazed on what FiiO has achieved with FW 2.14b: almost all existing bugs fixed and an amazing sound improvement. It was well worth the wait. Big credit to Fiio and all their tech team.
And best customer relationship ever: they basically designed and supported the X3 on a daily base with their users in most of the Hi-Fi forums in China and around the world. So let's all appreciate what they are doing and faithful wait for the the new FW.

Peace 
smily_headphones1.gif

May 5, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #9,790 of 17,484
Hi James, I did post earlier reference this, but I fear that due to the speed of the thread, the post got overlooked.

Reference a suitable 64GB Micro SD (SDXC) Card for this player. Does it matter what read speed the card has?
Some cards read at 30MB/s and go up to 95MB/s.
Is a 30MB/s card perfectly ok to use?

Thanks,
Dave

May 5, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #9,791 of 17,484
  Please, let's stop discussing about the FW 2.16b sound quality or any other point related to it.

Who wants to do so, you can enroll in the FiiO X3 beta testing program (with Non Disclosure Agreement) and share comments directly with FiiO and other beta testers.
Otherwise let's wait for the new official release in a couple of weeks and enjoy it 
basshead.gif

I'm personally amazed on what FiiO has achieved with FW 2.14b: almost all existing bugs fixed and an amazing sound improvement. It was well worth the wait. Big credit to Fiio and all their tech team.
And best customer relationship ever: they basically designed and supported the X3 on a daily base with their users in most of the Hi-Fi forums in China and around the world. So let's all appreciate what they are doing and faithful wait for the the new FW.

Peace 
smily_headphones1.gif

+1 .... thanks @JamesFiiO 

May 5, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #9,792 of 17,484
  Hi James, I did post earlier reference this, but I fear that due to the speed of the thread, the post got overlooked.

Reference a suitable 64GB Micro SD (SDXC) Card for this player. Does it matter what read speed the card has?
Some cards read at 30MB/s and go up to 95MB/s.
Is a 30MB/s card perfectly ok to use?

Thanks,
Dave

A 30MB/s card will work just fine.

May 5, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #9,793 of 17,484
  modding;

in the "now playing" window, would it be possible to display "artist - title" instead of "filename" by changing (which) ini-file ?

(don´t think so, but who knows)

From what I've seen, it looks like that is hard coded in. Others have asked Fiio if this could be changed, I don't know if it will (I suppose you could put a bugzilla report in if it hasn't been done yet).

May 5, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #9,794 of 17,484
Hi!
I get my X3 not so long ago and i have a question. It was said, that Fiio was working on OTG function for X3. Is it already available (I use FW2.1)? I don't have such cable to try and this thread is TOO big to read throughout. 

May 5, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #9,795 of 17,484
I apologize if this has been answered before, but I am curious if a different firmware version can change the sound of the line out, or if the sound of the line out is fixed via the hardware (regardless of the firmware version).

Users who are viewing this thread

• JayF
Back