The Fiio X3 Thread.
Aug 20, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #4,366 of 17,484
Quote:
DOA means Dead on Arrival. 

Please wait for a response from the correct channels. MP4Nation AND FiiO before trying little science experiments or asking questions for alternative fixes. Because why go for alternative ones when the primary channel is easiest. 

If you want to, you can. It's hard as hell to close back up though. I do not know if it will void warranty. But I would only recommend you attempt to open, diagnose, and close it up if you are dilligent and patient. Right now, you do not seem to have patience (no offense) so I would not recommend it. I personally am a pretty patient person already, and was on the border of raging getting the X3 back together.

Overall message: We(I) are not device support staff of FiiO's. For problems that don't involve general questions about the unit. Waiting for FiiO support to offer you a solution is the best solution. So please just sit down for the next two days and wait for a responce from market or support @ FiiO. 

I haven't heard a reply from FiiO. I have however been in talks with MP4Nation and they want me to send the unit back. They also told me I can't open the unit as it would void warranty. I have a question about that. FiiO designed this device so that the battery is user replaceable. Aren't we allowed to open it up then to replace the batteries when necessary? If James can confirm this then that would be really helpful. 

Aug 20, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #4,367 of 17,484
Quote:
arggg!! there are quite a number of dust specks which have now gone inside my screen!!
I hope the X5 really does a better job with the build quality and fix this issue as well...

Dust or failed pixels? Do they move? Either way, an issue. Have you reported it to Fiio support?

Aug 20, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #4,368 of 17,484
Quote:
Dust or failed pixels? Do they move? Either way, an issue. Have you reported it to Fiio support?

dusts, nope they don't move. Once they are in they are stuck there probably for life...
i didn't report to FiiO for support, i don't think they would care about this issue although it erks me to no end... ;(

Aug 20, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #4,370 of 17,484
Quote:

dusts, nope they don't move. Once they are in they are stuck there probably for life...
i didn't report to FiiO for support, i don't think they would care about this issue although it erks me to no end... ;(

Report it

Aug 20, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #4,372 of 17,484
As a repairer of iPod's and iPhones without composite screens. If dust can get in. Dust can get out. 

Well in my history of owning electronics so far that (dusts going out) has never happened to me. Does using a blow dryer aimed at the port openings help?

Aug 20, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #4,373 of 17,484
Quote:
Well in my history of owning electronics so far that (dusts going out) has never happened to me. Does using a blow dryer aimed at the port openings help?

No. That will make it worse in the X3's case.

The loose build structure of the X3 allows lots of dust to get into the case AND into the screen. 

The only way to 'securely' clean it is to first take the entire unit apart leaving you the front of the case, the PCB w/ screen attached. Unattached battery and finally back cover. You would then carefully go through it with compressed air CANS (not the blowers, you should only use the compressed air units if you are a pro. Most computer shops use compressed air machines as its cheaper in the end. But in the hands of newbies at repairing/cleaning electronics, they can break the device easilly.) 

It's then of course a bit tricky with the dust and the LCD(TFT LCD) screen but you should be able to clear it out. Although if you do it wrong, you will leave streaks of frozen freezing fluid on the apparatus itself leaving undesireable results.

Like I told to Mr.Serious, don't do this stuff if you dont' know what you are doing, don't have the patience to put the device back together, or don't have experience in terms of knowing what you can 'safely' do. 

Aug 20, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #4,374 of 17,484
Quote:
No. That will make it worse in the X3's case.

The loose build structure of the X3 allows lots of dust to get into the case AND into the screen. 

The only way to 'securely' clean it is to first take the entire unit apart leaving you the front of the case, the PCB w/ screen attached. Unattached battery and finally back cover. You would then carefully go through it with compressed air CANS (not the blowers, you should only use the compressed air units if you are a pro. Most computer shops use compressed air machines as its cheaper in the end. But in the hands of newbies at repairing/cleaning electronics, they can break the device easilly.) 

It's then of course a bit tricky with the dust and the LCD(TFT LCD) screen but you should be able to clear it out. Although if you do it wrong, you will leave streaks of frozen freezing fluid on the apparatus itself leaving undesireable results.

Like I told to Mr.Serious, don't do this stuff if you dont' know what you are doing, don't have the patience to put the device back together, or don't have experience in terms of knowing what you can 'safely' do. 

so batteries fall apart and dust. What's next. -___-  Panda screens of death? 

Aug 20, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #4,375 of 17,484
sorry for the delay, I am in Beijing now and it is AM 2:43 so it is quite late so there are some quick replies.

1, for the battery fall apart, we found there are very very few X3 will have problem. it is not necessary to worry about that. we sold out 2K X3 before we sold to over sea market. so almost all the design/manufacture problem

were fixed before mass production. 

2, about the dust, it is the same as above, BTW, we improve the build quality from 3st batch, it is not a common situation.

We have sold out 10,000 pcs x3 and I think there should have more than 8,000 user are using X3 right now. even we can control the defective rate down to 1% , there will have quite some users reported some quality issues

about X3, that is the situation.

Also, for anyone have battery issue, for example, our user can fix the problem by our user  if he has enough skill and don't need to worry about the warranty. but of course, the best way is send back the RMA and get a replacement. and is what we suggest our customer buy from a local dealer.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Aug 20, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #4,376 of 17,484
Quote:
sorry for the delay, I am in Beijing now and it is AM 2:43 so it is quite late so there are some quick replies.

1, for the battery fall apart, we found there are very very few X3 will have problem. it is not necessary to worry about that. we sold out 2K X3 before we sold to over sea market. so almost all the design/manufacture problem

were fixed before mass production. 

2, about the dust, it is the same as above, BTW, we improve the build quality from 3st batch, it is not a common situation.

We have sold out 10,000 pcs x3 and I think there should have more than 8,000 user are using X3 right now. even we can control the defective rate down to 1% , there will have quite some users reported some quality issues

about X3, that is the situation.

Also, for anyone have battery issue, for example, our user can fix the problem by our user  if he has enough skill and don't need to worry about the warranty. but of course, the best way is send back the RMA and get a replacement. and is what we suggest our customer buy from a local dealer.

That was the clarification I was looking for. Thanks. I will do the RMA and wait patiently. 

Aug 20, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #4,377 of 17,484
A while back, someone mentioned that the X3 doesnt support hangul characters. Has that been fixed yet? I want to get one but a good chunk of my library is K-pop tagged in hangul.

Aug 20, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #4,378 of 17,484
My X3 has just arrived and I am delighted with it.  Up to now I have been using an iPod Touch with an E12 but this combination is limited to Apple lossless and I have many Flac files and this little machine really does them justice.  I am sorry if this has come up before but this is an extremely long thread and I cant trace it has been raised before.  One question - what on earth is the secret to get cover files to show up on the screen?  In one instance it works but not others and I cannot see why.  One other small point - would you recommend using the X3 with the E12?

Thanks from a newbie,

David

Aug 20, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #4,379 of 17,484
Quote:
Oh, you're trying your Thunderpants with the X3? Looking forward to your impressions.

OK, courtesy of Amazon the amp arrived a day early. Charged it and tried out my favorite tracks. Before I go further keep in mind that the Thunderpants are an extremely tough headphone to drive. Their efficiency is only 89dB/1mW. I had to set the gain switch to +16dB.

As much as I like the X3 as an all in one, the combo is a major step upwards. The sound character tilts more towards the midrange (alone, the X3 is slightly "spitty" at the high frequencies). This results in a more neutral presentation and is more relaxing and less fatiguing. Imaging is a bit better. Bass is fuller also, right up to the limit of what I like, will see what it does as the filter caps get some time on them. I hate to use terms like this, but the combo is more "tube-like"

I never run out of power, my ears reach their limits before the amp does.

My desktop rig, while not high end, is pretty decent, and this mobile rig is close to it in quality. Need to do a direct A-B when I get back from vacation.

While I was reluctant to go back to a stack, I am glad folks here pushed me to that direction, it's worth it to me.

P.S. I ran into the dreaded "lock up after sleep" issue, trying to decide whether to upgrade firmware before leaving on vacation. If I decide to upgrade can you use any size microSD so long as it is <= 32GB?

Aug 20, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #4,380 of 17,484
Quote:
One question - what on earth is the secret to get cover files to show up on the screen? In one instance it works but not others and I cannot see why.

You should attach the album art to the ID3 Tag of every single track.

Or you can duplicate the *.jpg album art with the same name of every single track (track A.flac + track A.jpg, track B.flac + track B.jpg and so on)...

Quote:
One other small point - would you recommend using the X3 with the E12?

Only if you need the extra power (i.e., you'd like to use hard to drive HPs with the X3) and/or if you like a more balanced and neutral sound and some extra detail in the upper notes. Since you already have the E12, you can try it and see if it suits you more.
wink.gif

EDIT:

Quote:

P.S. I ran into the dreaded "lock up after sleep" issue, trying to decide whether to upgrade firmware before leaving on vacation. If I decide to upgrade can you use any size microSD so long as it is <= 32GB?

I've updated the firmware on my X3 from 1.23EN to 1.25EN with a 64GB microSD filled with music. Yeah, I'm mad. 
biggrin.gif

I'm sure you can use a smaller card as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back