The Fiio X3 Thread.
Aug 6, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #3,526 of 17,484
Hello everyone!! I've been following various threads on Head-Fi for a while and I finally received my X3 today from MP4 Nation, so I decided it was time to join. I love it so far, but I have one issue . After formatting  a 64 gig micro sd in the proper format I transferred about 22 gigs worth of music to it. This is all done with the card inserted in the X3 and the X3 plugged into my MacBook. While plugged in, I can browse the internal storage of the X3 and the sd card and clearly all of the files I transferred are there. But when I unplug the X3 and browse, the albums only go up to letter J and thats it, the rest of my albums are just missing. I've already tried reformatting and transferring twice. Suggestions anyone?? Sorry in advance if this was covered earlier....

Aug 6, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #3,527 of 17,484
Quote:
Hello everyone!! I've been following various threads on Head-Fi for a while and I finally received my X3 today from MP4 Nation, so I decided it was time to join. I love it so far, but I have one issue . After formatting  a 64 gig micro sd in the proper format I transferred about 22 gigs worth of music to it. This is all done with the card inserted in the X3 and the X3 plugged into my MacBook. While plugged in, I can browse the internal storage of the X3 and the sd card and clearly all of the files I transferred are there. But when I unplug the X3 and browse, the albums only go up to letter J and thats it, the rest of my albums are just missing. I've already tried reformatting and transferring twice. Suggestions anyone?? Sorry in advance if this was covered earlier....

"Welcome to Head-Fi! Sorry about your wallet"

Please go to System Settings(root menu) and click 'Update Lib'.

Aug 6, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #3,530 of 17,484
Just got mine. Quick impressions, from a usability standpoint:

1) case is ludicrously weak. not sure why they even bothered including it.

2) love that they included 3 screen protectors and already left one applied. Not so happy with the pull tab on the protector, but managed to get the "outer casing" off with a nail and leave the protector on.

3) The class 2 16 gig microSD card i put in there didnt get recognized initially. Dont know why. I reformatted in a card reader as fat32 and now it works fine.

4) I'm getting 5 megabyte/second transfer rates. Really? I mean i understand keeping costs down and leaving this thing at a paltry 8 gigs of space when it ships. But if i'm transfering 64 gigs of music at 5 megabytes/second, thats an all night task. That is something that needs fixing. Inexcusable.

5) No headphones included. I do understand the target market, and this decision makes sense, but this also seems like a weird decision at the same time. I got a pair of brainwavz R4 with mine free with purchase though, so maybe that is some deal they worked out.

6) The menu options need to be worded differently. I'd like to see some american devs take a crack at this firmware. Perhaps give rockbox a chance with this. This firmware's current state is pretty poor. "Category" is the option we are looking for, there is no way to reorganize or add/subtract menu items. I'd like to see artist/album/songs/genre on the main menu.

7) This is a "problem" with all players like this, but they treat the internal and external storage as 2 seperate units. Luckily, they have a media library that manages to keep everythign as one contiguous unit. So thats nice.

8) I absolutely hate the sorting algorithm on this. Queen has 3 albums: platinum collection disks 1, 2, 3. Going to Artist>queen, only shows up a list of SONGS, not a list of albums. there NEEDS to be another menu here that says "all songs" or lists the albums by that artist instead of simply enumerating all songs.

9) On the same note, listing all songs should be done either by directory order (recursive) or by album. It should not be done by alphnumeric. Right now, if I have 6 albums by 1 artist and I go to that artist's folder, I get 01 track.mp3 01 track.mp3 01 track.mp3 etc. 6 times. then 02 track.mp3 02 track.mp3. This is unacceptable. The only way around this is to scroll to the name of the actual album.

10) There needs to be an option to set how fast to scroll names. I have all 4 "pirates of the caribean" albums. That name will not fit on the screen. But to listen to it, i have to sit there and wait to see which album i'm currently on while it sloooowwwwlllyyyy scrolls across the screen. Its NOT a quick enough scroll to tell by the first few letters or I wouldnt have mentioned it.

Fiio: If you could, please open source this firmware or something. Community development on this sort of project could yield some massive and ridiculous gains and skyrocket sales of this device. Especially if it could be rockboxed.

Aug 6, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #3,531 of 17,484
Quote:

2) love that they included 3 screen protectors and already left one applied. Not so happy with the pull tab on the protector, but managed to get the "outer casing" off with a nail and leave the protector on.

3) The class 2 16 gig microSD card i put in there didnt get recognized initially. Dont know why. I reformatted in a card reader as fat32 and now it works fine.

4) I'm getting 5 megabyte/second transfer rates. Really? I mean i understand keeping costs down and leaving this thing at a paltry 8 gigs of space when it ships. But if i'm transfering 64 gigs of music at 5 megabytes/second, thats an all night task. That is something that needs fixing. Inexcusable.

5) No headphones included. I do understand the target market, and this decision makes sense, but this also seems like a weird decision at the same time. I got a pair of brainwavz R4 with mine free with purchase though, so maybe that is some deal they worked out.

6) The menu options need to be worded differently. I'd like to see some american devs take a crack at this firmware. Perhaps give rockbox a chance with this. This firmware's current state is pretty poor. "Category" is the option we are looking for, there is no way to reorganize or add/subtract menu items. I'd like to see artist/album/songs/genre on the main menu.

7) This is a "problem" with all players like this, but they treat the internal and external storage as 2 seperate units. Luckily, they have a media library that manages to keep everythign as one contiguous unit. So thats nice.

8) I absolutely hate the sorting algorithm on this. Queen has 3 albums: platinum collection disks 1, 2, 3. Going to Artist>queen, only shows up a list of SONGS, not a list of albums. there NEEDS to be another menu here that says "all songs" or lists the albums by that artist instead of simply enumerating all songs.

9) On the same note, listing all songs should be done either by directory order (recursive) or by album. It should not be done by alphnumeric. Right now, if I have 6 albums by 1 artist and I go to that artist's folder, I get 01 track.mp3 01 track.mp3 01 track.mp3 etc. 6 times. then 02 track.mp3 02 track.mp3. This is unacceptable. The only way around this is to scroll to the name of the actual album.

10) There needs to be an option to set how fast to scroll names. I have all 4 "pirates of the caribean" albums. That name will not fit on the screen. But to listen to it, i have to sit there and wait to see which album i'm currently on while it sloooowwwwlllyyyy scrolls across the screen. Its NOT a quick enough scroll to tell by the first few letters or I wouldnt have mentioned it.

Fiio: If you could, please open source this firmware or something. Community development on this sort of project could yield some massive and ridiculous gains and skyrocket sales of this device. Especially if it could be rockboxed.

How does it sound?

Aug 6, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #3,532 of 17,484
Shrimants with regards to #9 I agree. I got around this by just using the browse files option (instead of by category). That way on my device I have artist > album year - album name. That way I can essentially browse by album. Sure it's not idea but its effective at least.

Aug 6, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #3,534 of 17,484
Quote:
I'd like to hear from some of the people who have just received their X3s on the sound quality. How does it compare SQ wise with some of the other DAPs you've used?

I mentioned this before but will repeat since you asked :)

I have owned a cowon for 3 years and am very familiar with its sound - the X3 is a significant step up in quality - more detail, clarity and seems to lift a veil or fog which when i listen to the cowon again is apparent
Bass is tighter and more controlled too - 

some may say the cowon and x3 are not  a fair comparison but they did cost me about the same 

Aug 6, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #3,535 of 17,484

I have owned a cowon for 3 years and am very familiar with its sound - the X3 is a significant step up in quality - more detail, clarity and seems to lift a veil or fog which when i listen to the cowon again is apparent

some may say the cowon and x3 are not  a fair comparison but they did cost me about the same 

I'm a huge Cowon fan and I've had quite a few of their devices (s9, j3, d3 and the 9+ most recently) and I completely agree. The clarity of the X3 is just that much better. Sure it doesn't have the BBE enhancements but most of those are artificial sounding. The X3 just has a sound signature I prefer at this point.

Aug 6, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #3,536 of 17,484
Quote:
Hey Bowei, thanks for the swift reply. I tried that a number of times...and when I do it says "updating" for a few seconds and nothing changes. Maybe my sd card is faulty?

Do you let it keep updating or do you close it?
Quote:

• Additional Accessory. Asians LOVE accessories and covers. Also helps in terms of making the X3 less slideable and protect the metal from scrapes(metal casing scratches easy if it hits other metal).
  • They are getting this stuff custom made so yeah, not exactly $20 Screen Guard quality for 3 screen protector strips
  • It has already been mentioned by FiiO to format to FAT32 if the card doesn't work at first.
  • I'm getting 7MB/s. I am using Class 10, 16GB Micro SDHC. The USB 2.0 format and other implementations causes this. Most USB 2.0 flash drives write at about 7MB/s as well. There is nothing that needs fixing. Test out a USB 2.0 flash drive you have sititng around(I just did). They write at around the same speed. It only seems longer because now, you aren't dropping word documents onto a USB 2.0 device, but tens of GB's of songs. 
  • No headphones included..yes and?
  • The language is a bit off yes. FiiO isn't Apple. the mass majority of Chinese audiophile companies(big portion of the market) have the same language problems. 
  • This makes it easier to know what goes where for you personally.
  • Yes, this is a UI thing that annoys many people including me.
  • You can try the trick mentioned before in terms of using windows to re-arrange how a song shows up.
  • Yeah, their scroll is really slow. Solution? Put the album number in front of the album 

Last they said, they could not make it open source due to lisencing issues with the original creator/s of the base UI or something. Rockbox and all these other UI alternatives have already been mentioned and shot down 

Aug 6, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #3,537 of 17,484
Quote:
So what is the problem? When you plug the X3 into pc with the card plugged into X3, you can see both X3 internal memory and SD card right? What is the problem? 

I can play music off the SD card using the X3, I can browse the files and all that.

But when I plug the player into my pc, I only see the X3's main folder, and not the SD card

Aug 6, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #3,538 of 17,484
Quote:
I can play music off the SD card using the X3, I can browse the files and all that.

But when I plug the player into my pc, I only see the X3's main folder, and not the SD card

So you don't see the 'removable Disk' that pops up along with it?

How did you get songs onto the SD in the first place?

Did you format the mSD card beforehand to FAT32? (formating destroys inside contents(no it doesn't actually, but we don't need to go into this right now)) 

Aug 6, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #3,539 of 17,484
Quote:

Thanks! I'm a J3 owner so this is convincing. How is the soundstage and imaging?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back