The Fiio X3 Thread.
Aug 6, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #3,511 of 17,484
Quote:
A popping comming from your IEM's or from the X3?

The only time a pop will come THROUGH the heapdhone is when you have your IEM's plugged into the X3 and you turn it off.

The physical clicking/pop is the relay. This is a muting relay that makes it so that the transient power on or amplifier on state doesn't create the influx in power and thus a pop that would otherwise happen.

I'm hearing pops when I plug the iem in and out into the X3. I hear it through the iem.

The device has restarted after 10 minutes of playback.

I'm tinkering with the X3 with the line out into my C&C bh and I don't hear any hissing noise anymore. I hear hissing from the headphone out jack of the X3.

My initial impression of this is pretty on the low side and I'm only judging it based on the performance side of things (headphone out, lineout, etc). 

Aug 6, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #3,512 of 17,484
Quote:
I'm hearing pops when I plug the iem in and out into the X3. I hear it through the iem.

The device has restarted after 10 minutes of playback.

I'm tinkering with the X3 with the line out into my C&C bh and I don't hear any hissing noise anymore. I hear hissing from the headphone out jack of the X3.

My initial impression of this is pretty on the low side and I'm only judging it based on the performance side of things (headphone out, lineout, etc). 

There is a little bit of static in alternating steps very quielty as I slowly plug my portable headphones in and out of it. Your IEM's are probably more sensitive which relates to this. 

How loud is it? Is it an alternating(between two channels) many poppy low sounds or one big pop on both channels?

I have not had any hiss from headphone out of X3

Aug 6, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #3,513 of 17,484
Quote:
There is a little bit of static in alternating steps very quielty as I slowly plug my portable headphones in and out of it. Your IEM's are probably more sensitive which relates to this. 

How loud is it? Is it an alternating(between two channels) many poppy low sounds or one big pop on both channels?

I have not had any hiss from headphone out of X3

Before I answer, I gotta say thank you for spearheading this thread and helping everyone out including myself.

I'm using Heir Audio 4.A's.

Big pops on both channels. Not loud but it has scared me. 

The sound is AMAZING coming out of the lineout to my C&C BH. no hiss, no pops.

Is there a way to lower the lineout volume so I have greater step size volume control on my C&C BH?

Edit: Man oh man. People have said these are dark. Having owned HD 650 for years, I thought it wouldn't be a problem for me. The X3 is REALLY dark coming out of the headphone out of the device ... 

Aug 6, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #3,514 of 17,484
Quote:
Before I answer, I gotta say thank you for spearheading this thread and helping everyone out including myself.

I'm using Heir Audio 4.A's.

Big pops on both channels. Not loud but it has scared me. 

The sound is AMAZING coming out of the lineout to my C&C BH. no hiss, no pops.

Is there a way to lower the lineout volume so I have greater step size volume control on my C&C BH?

I don't do this on purpose. I'm a HUGE multi tasker.

I'm playing games and destroying tanks while reading articles on Reddit, answering emails and refreshing HF to see what new updates are comming. 

I have used Heir Audio 4Ai's before with FiiO devices.

The big pops should only happen on power off if your IEM is connected

I just connected my headphone to all 3 3.5mm jacks on the X3. The only ones giving me a loud pop are if I connect my headphone to line out directly. ARe you doing that?

Once the X3 is turned on, the only time a big pop will come from what I have is when you turn it off with headphones attached.

Aug 6, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #3,515 of 17,484
Loving the sound and appreciating the added power so far, but got couple of issues:

1) Cannot change playback mode, it's stuck on continuous (and looping I think, from the logo on screen)
2) My new cd that I just ripped appears nicely under artists but only has 2 tracks under album (most of my library looks to be fine, except that newly-ripped cd)
3) Cannot detect SD card when I connect to comp

Bought from Mp4nation.

Would a firmware update fix these?

Aug 6, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #3,516 of 17,484
Quote:
I don't do this on purpose. I'm a HUGE multi tasker.

I'm playing games and destroying tanks while reading articles on Reddit, answering emails and refreshing HF to see what new updates are comming. 

I have used Heir Audio 4Ai's before with FiiO devices.

The big pops should only happen on power off if your IEM is connected

I just connected my headphone to all 3 3.5mm jacks on the X3. The only ones giving me a loud pop are if I connect my headphone to line out directly. ARe you doing that?

Once the X3 is turned on, the only time a big pop will come from what I have is when you turn it off with headphones attached.

I'm plugging it to the top right of the device. Should be headphone out I presume?

Is it dangerous to use headphone out if I'm hearing slight hissing? 

Aug 6, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #3,517 of 17,484
Quote:
Loving the sound and appreciating the added power so far, but got couple of issues:

1) Cannot change playback mode, it's stuck on continuous (and looping I think, from the logo on screen)
2) My new cd that I just ripped appears nicely under artists but only has 2 tracks under album (most of my library looks to be fine, except that newly-ripped cd)
3) Cannot detect SD card when I connect to comp

Bought from Mp4nation.

Would a firmware update fix these?

• When a song is playing, press and hold the top left most button(the back and library book button) until the song 'menu' pops up. Go down to play mode. And use the +/- keys to change play mode
  • Check on computer to see that all the songs are in the folder you dropped them into and check to make sure they have id3 tags. Are they mp3 or AAC or what format are they in?
  • Please format SD card to FAT32. The SD card should show up as one of two things that pop up once the X3 is connected to the computer. Formating the SD card while songs are on it will delete those songs.

Disco colors!
Quote:
I'm plugging it to the top right of the device. Should be headphone out I presume?

Is it dangerous to use headphone out if I'm hearing slight hissing? 

Not dangerous, just means the 4A is a bit sensitive to the X3

yep, that's the spot. Anyway, you shouldn't be hearing too many pops after its on if any besides on shut down

Aug 6, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #3,519 of 17,484
Quote:
  • When a song is playing, press and hold the top left most button(the back and library book button) until the song 'menu' pops up. Go down to play mode. And use the +/- keys to change play mode
  • Check on computer to see that all the songs are in the folder you dropped them into and check to make sure they have id3 tags. Are they mp3 or AAC or what format are they in?
  • Please format SD card to FAT32. The SD card should show up as one of two things that pop up once the X3 is connected to the computer. Formating the SD card while songs are on it will delete those songs.

1. Thanks, I'll try that.
2. FLAC, I'll go home to check but the metadata should be fine as I always use the same settings for ripping, so all the songs should turn up under the same album
3. I must do this even if the player itself detects my card just fine? It's a 32GB Sandisk btw.

Aug 6, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #3,520 of 17,484
Quote:
Dear All,

Is it possible to create a playlist ..tried doing it from favourite but not able to create a folder for certain favs in a folder ?

Thanks all

In my review or how to use video, I mentioned the ability for this

Basically Browse Files function on the X3 functions like how you would see folders on a computer. So with that in mind, you can just create folders and name it whatever on the computer and drop songs in and use that as a playlist.

Yeah, I'm bored
Quote:

1. Thanks, I'll try that.
2. FLAC, I'll go home to check but the metadata should be fine as I always use the same settings for ripping, so all the songs should turn up under the same album
3. I must do this even if the player itself detects my card just fine? It's a 32GB Sandisk btw.

Check the id3 tags and if the songs are there. Updating id3 tags while the songs are on the X3 last I checked does not work. I may be wrong as I didn't do many tests.

So what is the problem? When you plug the X3 into pc with the card plugged into X3, you can see both X3 internal memory and SD card right? What is the problem? 

Aug 6, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #3,521 of 17,484
My X3 arrived today and just wanted to say thanks to James and Fiio for a really nice player.  I'm loving it so far.  Another thanks to all on this forum for teaching me how to operate it.
L3000.gif

Aug 6, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #3,522 of 17,484
I wish there was a way to lower the volume of line out. The amp I am using needs to have the volume pot turned quite a bit before its settled otherwise I have channel imbalance issues. The X3's lineout is so loud that I can't set my amp to the appropriate volume level which leaves me stuck with channel imbalance problems... Anyone have a smart solution to this?

Aug 6, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #3,523 of 17,484
Posting this just in case it might help out a few folks here.... 

Got the X3 early this morning... 
after work went out and bought a Sandisk ULTRA microSDXC UHS-1 64GB card...
its rated at class 10 (30MB/s)  got it at Frys $79
and yes this package does come with the Micro to SD adaptor making it pretty easy for inserting into the computer.

Got the card home and tried to format the card to FAT32...   No go with Windows 7/64... 
so went on the web and found this...  http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1773735
I used the "Second Method".... went with the default settings and it worked like a charm... formatted the card in like 5 seconds...

then I put a single folder of Santana (Flac) on the card... copy/paste....

then put the card into the X3...   and yes the card does go in the X3 upside down... 

Turned on the X3 and it played the folder perfect....  so far its great..

Aug 6, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #3,524 of 17,484
Quote:
I wish there was a way to lower the volume of line out. The amp I am using needs to have the volume pot turned quite a bit before its settled otherwise I have channel imbalance issues. The X3's lineout is so loud that I can't set my amp to the appropriate volume level which leaves me stuck with channel imbalance problems... Anyone have a smart solution to this?

The point of line out is to get an un-amped, constant line level signal, so in general volume control isn't involved here.  True line out is all loud.

Maybe try a different amp...

Aug 6, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #3,525 of 17,484
Quote:

There is no volume, it is already a very low power signal. 

And this is just a problem with pairing one device with another .

Quote:

The point of line out is to get an un-amped, constant line level signal, so in general volume control isn't involved here.  True line out is all loud.

Maybe try a different amp...

Most FiiO devices give you an option of engaging a pre amp in the line out or not before the signal is passed to the line out port. X3 does not have this. But on ANDES, and E17, you can set it so that the pre amp is enabled while lining out so that EQ and volume control are allowed (variable line out).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back