The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Mar 26, 2015 at 9:05 AM Post #1,291 of 9,972
I always have a reference point, in this case DX50 Rockbox when I try to make comment on sound since it is pretty subjective. But I can say that the X3K is certainly not warmer than the DX50. From Head-fi glossary: Warm - Good bass, adequate low frequencies, adequate fundamentals relative to harmonics.

Mar 26, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #1,294 of 9,972
In terms of feel in the hand I do like the DX50 more, the X3K feels like a toy to me, but I do found the X3K more durable, the DX50 cover can be chipped away pretty easily while the X3K have a glass in the back, not the best aesthetically wise but certainly more durable. But tbh since I use both with silicon cover I don't see much point in evaluating this.

Mar 26, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #1,295 of 9,972
In terms of feel in the hand I do like the DX50 more, the X3K feels like a toy to me, but I do found the X3K more durable, the DX50 cover can be chipped away pretty easily while the X3K have a glass in the back, not the best aesthetically wise but certainly more durable. But tbh since I use both with silicon cover I don't see much point in evaluating this.

When they say a better build I think in terms of durability so I think as far as build goes I'd prefer the X3K. I always use the silicone cover too anyway. I find the size of the X1 to be good...not too big and not too small so I think I'll like the size of the X3 II also. The DX50 felt too large and awkward in my hand.

Mar 26, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #1,296 of 9,972
Review from Headfonia

They mention the pre-production hiss FiiO is working on and they also mention its a warmer DAP than the original X3, interesting.

From the review:

"The Second Generation X3 is warmer and more musical sounding where I find the old X3 to be more analytical with a somewhat more dry presentation. The SG also portrays more detail, timbre and better depth. To me the new X3 is quite a big step up from the first X3, not only form and usability wise, but especially sound wise."

I'm sorry to say this, but you really need to be deaf to tell that first gen X3 is thin sounding and newer X3 II is fuller, warmer sounding.

It is exactly the opposite! First gen X3 sounds very warm (bass and mids are bumped quite much), full bodied, and slightly veiled and muddy because of this. Newer X3 II is completely the opposite, it's Far from super warm, full bodied sound. X3 II it is quite neutral and linear and very slightly on the warm side, but not much, it doesn't have mids and bass raised/bumped compared to high-end of the spectrum.
I stopped reading from there. First X3 thin sounding? What a joke....

Mar 26, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #1,297 of 9,972

Uh?!?  Where did you see a glass on the back of X3 2nd gen?!?  It's a solid brushed aluminum back cover (unlike plastic one used in X1), and it has a shiny transparent plastic scratch protection film which you can peel off (like from a screen protector).  there is NO glass back on X3 2nd gen
wink.gif

Mar 26, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #1,298 of 9,972
Ah yes

Uh?!?  Where did you see a glass on the back of X3 2nd gen?!?  It's a solid brushed aluminum back cover (unlike plastic one used in X1), and it has a shiny transparent plastic scratch protection film which you can peel off (like from a screen protector).  there is NO glass back on X3 2nd gen
wink.gif

Oh yes, just peeled it off :) Feels better now lol. Nevertheless Silicon case anw :D

Mar 26, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #1,299 of 9,972

wink.gif

I thought he was referring to the plastic film...maybe he thinks it is glass.

Mar 26, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #1,300 of 9,972
About "sound signature" and "warmth" and "airy sound" - can't this be changed/added/removed simply by an equalizer? In other words changing the frequency response curve. I can't imagine anything else that would contribute to the "signature".
About "space", and "sound localization", and "stage width" - it looks for me that this is where a jitter comes in, and other phase distortions. Like sound waves with different frequencies and very sharp fronts all converted from digital to analog, and then amplified without phase distortions, properly - no phase "smeared", all waves come together at the proper moment - then you get good localization and separation.
What do you think?

Hello bajraque,

From my experience, in the context of "conventional" headphone listening, good localization comes from improvements in the frequency response, e.g. tuning of the headphone's frequency response to more closely follow the "ideal" frequency response dictated by comparisons of HRTF measurements from speakers and headphones. Meanwhile, DAPs can slightly affect the frequency response of headphones, mostly via the headphone output's impedance and coupling capacitance (if any). Although phase response can theoretically affect localization, you'll be hard pressed to find enough phase distortion in headphones to affect this, let alone in source components.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 26, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #1,301 of 9,972
? How can you say it's more durable ? Final prod not comming out yet. After a year or so, then you can states if it realy durable or not. The glass on the back you mention, I was read that someone here said, it's only a plastic protection backing! Glass are not brakeproof anyways yet! :wink: A&K do yet ? Colorfly C4 more build ?

Someone can like more real push buttons, others can dislike it and prefer more wheels technology... all is question of feeeling, in hands & ears!!

Mar 26, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #1,302 of 9,972
  Ah yes

wink.gif

Oh yes, just peeled it off :) Feels better now lol. Nevertheless Silicon case anw :D

beerchug.gif

Mar 26, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #1,303 of 9,972
:)
When they say a better build I think in terms of durability so I think as far as build goes I'd prefer the X3K. I always use the silicone cover too anyway. I find the size of the X1 to be good...not too big and not too small so I think I'll like the size of the X3 II also. The DX50 felt too large and awkward in my hand.
Am sure then, you dislike the AK240ss or Colorfly C4 !!!

:D

Mar 26, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #1,305 of 9,972
Uh?!?  Where did you see a glass on the back of X3 2nd gen?!?  It's a solid brushed aluminum back cover (unlike plastic one used in X1), and it has a shiny transparent plastic scratch protection film which you can peel off (like from a screen protector).  there is NO glass back on X3 2nd gen :wink:

I thought he was referring to the plastic film...maybe he thinks it is glass.
Maybe he's seeyng to many picts... with flash reflections !! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back