The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Mar 25, 2015 at 7:45 AM Post #1,261 of 9,972
I don't have the E12A - but for all of the IEMs I own, I don't need an amp anyway - so I'm unlikely to get one.

(Y)

Mar 25, 2015 at 7:57 AM Post #1,262 of 9,972
I don't have the E12A - but for all of the IEMs I own, I don't need an amp anyway - so I'm unlikely to get one.

That's about the opposite from me. For 95% of my monitors, I need an external amp with the new X3
biggrin.gif

Mar 25, 2015 at 8:02 AM Post #1,263 of 9,972
  That's about the opposite from me. For 95% of my monitors, I need an external amp with the new X3
biggrin.gif

Yeah - Joe mentioned an issue with the review units - hissing with sensitive IEMs.  They're fixing it for final release.  Explains why you heard it and many of us didn't - either my IEMs (or my ears 
tongue.gif
 ) simply not sensitive enough.

I'm pleased they managed to identify the issue though.

Mar 25, 2015 at 8:25 AM Post #1,264 of 9,972
I'm pleased they managed to identify the issue though.

Agreed, but now I had to write a review of a unit with hiss and mention it will probably be different in the production version and take their word for it.
That's not ideal isn't it? It should hav been fixed before sending them out.

Mar 25, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #1,265 of 9,972

Agreed, but now I had to write a review of a unit with hiss and mention it will probably be different in the production version and take their word for it.
That's not ideal isn't it? It should hav been fixed before sending them out.

The issue must have been "hit-and-hiss" as I don't notice anything amiss with my review unit. Any word as to whether the new firmware update fixed things?

Mar 25, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #1,267 of 9,972
Not hearing hiss on mine, either.

The issue must have been "hit-and-hiss" as I don't notice anything amiss with my review unit. Any word as to whether the new firmware update fixed things?
Is it possible that some peoples get ear disease, hyper acoustic sensitivity, like tinnitus, Hyperacusis ? This hisss a possibility!!

lol

:D

Mar 25, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #1,268 of 9,972
No hiss here either.

E12A rules!!!  MUSES02 dual opamp (implemented in E12A) is designed specifically for high-end pro-audio application.  IMHO, the effect of external amp with X3 2nd gen is noticeable with more revealing/brighter IEMs/headphones.  When you are dealing with warmer natural tone headphones, the difference will be subtle.  In my review test I used MSR7 which is quite revealing at top end.

Got confirmation, X5 II will be released first (possibly toward the beginning of the summer) and X7 will be released next (possibly toward the end of the summer).

Also, since I'm still getting a number of inquiries about X3 II availability, as I mentioned before - in US it should be available by mid April.

Mar 25, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #1,269 of 9,972
I also don't hear any hiss at all. No crackling noises when turning the pot too.

Got confirmation, X5 II will be released first (possibly toward the beginning of the summer) and X7 will be released next (possibly toward the end of the summer).

Great news! Time to get that piggybank heavy for the 2nd gen X5.
biggrin.gif

Mar 25, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #1,270 of 9,972

Also, since I'm still getting a number of inquiries about X3 II availability, as I mentioned before - in US it should be available by mid April.

Any idea if there will be World Tours for the summer releases?  
L3000.gif

Mar 25, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #1,272 of 9,972
I had a case of hiss with my modified ipod video 5.5g and certain headphones. I presume it is some kind of impedance issue.

My guess is that something similar went on here. The fact that fiio indicates that production models will not have the issue indicates a fixable and identified issue for certain scenarios.

Mar 25, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #1,273 of 9,972
Just had a thought about syncing with iTunes.

There's an PC/Mac app called iSyncr that I used to use for syncing my Nexus 5 with my iTunes library; creates folders and playlists, reverse-syncs play counts, all that stuff. 

My guess is that if the X3II is detected as a mass storage device by the PC, then iSyncr should detect it and work. Pretty sure the desktop sync app was free also.

Anyone with a review unit want to try?

Mar 25, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #1,274 of 9,972
  IMHO, the effect of external amp with X3 2nd gen is noticeable with more revealing/brighter IEMs/headphones.  When you are dealing with warmer natural tone headphones, the difference will be subtle.  In my review test I used MSR7 which is quite revealing at top end.

I agree. I used what is probably the most neutral budget cans for my review..M40X

Mar 25, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #1,275 of 9,972
Ask TheoS53. After reading here, and on E12A amp, many mention all the advantage using an amp with X3. It anhence sound sig, separation! E12A is for IEM
.... just read some thread!!! First, I will wait to get the DAP, and next I will see if it need a second amp or not!

To be fair, an amp *shouldn't* alter the sound in any way. So, my best guess is that the sound improvement is not because of the amp, but because the line-out is being used

Users who are viewing this thread

Back