The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Mar 26, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #1,307 of 9,972
Am sure then, you dislike the AK240ss or Colorfly C4 !!!

biggrin.gif

Yeah, I'm sure they sound good but not a fan of those. I don't like the Pono either but I still like Neil
smile_phones.gif

Mar 26, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #1,311 of 9,972
  I'm holding it on my hand mate, no need to look at them pictures lol 

Does it feel as solid as something like the ipod classic? Maybe not since that was stainless steel. I'm sure it's well made though. I'm glad its not particularly thin like apple products...I like a DAP to be smallish but not so thin or small that it's hard to hold.

Mar 26, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #1,312 of 9,972
Does it feel as solid as something like the ipod classic? Maybe not since that was stainless steel. I'm sure it's well made though. I'm glad its not particularly thin like apple products...I like a DAP to be smallish but not so thin or small that it's hard to hold.
+1

Mar 26, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #1,313 of 9,972
Had the opportunity to try the X3II today, and I must say I was rather impressed with the experience. Clean, detailed sound in a relatively small, but sturdy body. They certainly sound better to my ears than my own DX50. Think I might just grab one. 
smile.gif

Mar 26, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #1,314 of 9,972
  Had the opportunity to try the X3II today, and I must say I was rather impressed with the experience. Clean, detailed sound in a relatively small, but sturdy body. They certainly sound better to my ears than my own DX50. Think I might just grab one. 
smile.gif

Relatively small and sturdy with clean detailed sound...sounds good to me too. I wish they were available now... I never got a chance to actually listen to it so I go by peoples opinions and the reviews on here and of course Fiio's reputation. I know I won't be disappointed
smile.gif
I actually preordered mine from Treoo in Singapore.

Mar 26, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #1,315 of 9,972
Relatively small and sturdy with clean detailed sound...sounds good to me too. I wish they were available now... I never got a chance to actually listen to it so I go by peoples opinions and the reviews on here and of course Fiio's reputation. I know I won't be disappointed
smile.gif
I actually preordered mine from Treoo in Singapore.

Don't think you'll be disappointed with the X3II. FiiO is known for introducing good products that punch above their respective price tags. I was impressed with the X1 myself, but I ultimately wanted something a little better. The X3II fits that bill, with a sound that's cleaner and a bit more detailed than my DX50. And for a lower cost, too.

Mar 26, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #1,316 of 9,972

Don't think you'll be disappointed with the X3II. FiiO is known for introducing good products that punch above their respective price tags. I was impressed with the X1 myself, but I ultimately wanted something a little better. The X3II fits that bill, with a sound that's cleaner and a bit more detailed than my DX50. And for a lower cost, too.

Thanks for that. I feel good about the purchase and I'll feel even better when I actually get the X3
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 26, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #1,317 of 9,972
So I spent some time with the X3K, so here are some of my impression on it.

Setup: X3K (FW 0.18beta) + Rendition 1 + Final Audio Heaven V
. DX50 Rockbox
Note 1: this is a preproduction unit, changes might be applied for commercial release product.
Note 2: English isn't my 1st language so sorry for any mistake :)

Twister6 and Brooko review has cover almost everything regarding the unit so I'll give my personal sound impression only. I'll be using the DX50 Rockbox for comparison since I haven't heard much DAP before so I don't really have a reference point.

Bass:
- Bass is pretty similar to the DX50: tight with good texture, though to me still lack in impact and a little in speed. Doesn't bleed into the mid, which is a plus. Result: Both are equal.
Testing albums: Keith Richard - Main Offender
. Art Blakely, Dr. John, David "Fathead" Newman: Bluesiana Triangle

Mid:
- This is where the difference lies: While the DX50 have Lush and smooth mid with great body and fluidity, the X3K's mid is rather cool, dry, thin and somewhat grainy in comparison. Both have centre mid though, not too recessed or forward.. Result: DX50 wins.
Testing albums: Rebecca Pidgeon: The Raven
. Eva Cassidy: Live At Blues Alley

Treble:
- Another difference: The DX50 suffer from Treble Roll-off, resulted in a dark and mellow sound. In contrast, the X3K has well-extended treble without sounding harsh, but to me it lacks a little bit sparkle to truly be called crisp. Result: X3K wins, though this will most likely depends on preference.
Testing albums: Jerome Harris Quintet: Rendezvous: The Jerome Harris Quintet Plays Jazz

Detail: Both have good detail. I can pick up Low level detail on both of them with good resolution, though the X3K is a little bit better since it's treble wasn't roll-off like the DX50. Result: X3K win by a spitting hair :)
Soundstage and imaging: This might be the biggest factor for my DX50 preference (oops spoiler :) ). The X3K Soundstage have good width and height, but lacks the depth to be called spacious like the DX50. As a result the imaging of the X3K sounds less articulate than the DX50. Result: DX50 wins, and not just by a split of hair :p
Testing album: Jordi Savall: La Folia, 1490-1701

Conclusion:
Sound-wise I still prefer my DX50 overall. The X3K is not for me. That being said, the X3 functionality is pretty hard to beat, with a WORKING DAC function (unlike the ibasso one which is absolutely frustating to use), native DSD (though personally I don't see the point in it, if I want DSD I would spend much more than 200$ for better gear, but a plus nevertheless), good build quality and fast-boot feature, (I miss it when I went back to the DX50). In short, you can't go wrong with the X3 II and Fiio have offered another great p/p product for those on budget out there. And since this is a preproduction unit I will definitely try the final version out with better optimized in both Soft and Hardware :)

Note 1 : I use Line Out with external amp for the above result. When you use Headphone out, while most of what I said above is still applied, the clarity of DX50 suffer while the X3K retain it's good detail. If you don't want having external amp then I suggest getting the X3K since the HO of the DX50 doesn't sound very good.
Note 2: Just try it out with the Aune T1 DAC/Amp with stock Tube, I have to return the X3K soon so I can't give detailed comparison, but what I can say is that while the technicality of the X3K seems better (Detail, Soundstage, texture) the X3K as DAC lack the refinement of the T1. In fact I think the same comparison above apply here also (aside from the Treble roll-off, the T1 does fairly well on this one considering that it is a tube amp), but on different scale (the T1 sounds better than DX50 to my ear). Nevertheless I'm comparing a 200$ Desktop DAC/Amp to a 200$ DAP here, so I can say that the X3K holds up pretty well considering that it does a lot more with a lot less.

Mar 26, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #1,318 of 9,972
ph0n6 good comparison. However, by comparing with line out only you have been just comparing the DAC section of the amp. While it's still good to know how the DAC implementation and line out compare It would be more helpful I think if the headphone out, using both internal DAC and amp components, were used in the comparison. Otherwise it's only telling half the story.

Regardless, thanks for your impressions.

Mar 26, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #1,319 of 9,972
@ph0n6 good comparison. However, by comparing with line out only you have been just comparing the DAC section of the amp. While it's still good to know how the DAC implementation and line out compare It would be more helpful I think if the headphone out, using both internal DAC and amp components, were used in the comparison. Otherwise it's only telling half the story.

Regardless, thanks for your impressions.

I did mention them in the last note.

Mar 26, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #1,320 of 9,972
Good comparison. Line-out actually output signal comes from DAC+LPF and contribute the huge part of FiiO's house sound. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back