The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Jun 15, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #4,366 of 9,972
I agree that the player should be neutral in default settings but there should be options to modify sound as user prefers to. Most of us use amps to enhance musical experience on the source and I'm sure no one likes to carry bulky setups while traveling. X3ii is meant to be used as portable player. Giving high gain switch and not giving bass tuning option is surprising. Or may be its because they want user to buy their amps. People cannot switch different headphones for different sounds every time, it's not a practical solution for everyone.

Bass tuning is possible with the built-in equalizer, as well as midrange and treble tuning. I'd think that sliders for 31, 62, 125 and 250 Hz offer enough options for tuning the bass to your liking, much more so than the sonic signature of an amp or its bass boost function. It won't create exactly the sound you're used to from your E6, but you should get close.

From what I get, the curve looks like this:

So I would try       +5.6   +5.6   +5.4     +4    +2.8   +1.2   +0.4     ––     ––     ––        to emulate bass boost 2

and                        +6      +6     +5.4   +4.2   +1.8    ––     –1.6     –2      –2     –2        to emulate bass boost 1

Jun 15, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #4,369 of 9,972
I really respect fiio and what they are doing, but I can't bring myself to buy anything. I have owned only one of their amps (e17) and didn't like it. Particularly what seemed like dishonest bass. I know the head fi hobby is geared toward trying and buying, but none of the current daps come through with all the variables for me. Especially ui

Jun 15, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #4,372 of 9,972
It means the X3 II has very low noise, very low harmonic distortion, very low intermodulation distortion, excellent channel separation and fairly good frequency response.

(«Spoiler: this thing is pretty good.»)

Jun 15, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #4,373 of 9,972
Bass tuning is possible with the built-in equalizer, as well as midrange and treble tuning. I'd think that sliders for 31, 62, 125 and 250 Hz offer enough options for tuning the bass to your liking, much more so than the sonic signature of an amp or its bass boost function. It won't create exactly the sound you're used to from your E6, but you should get close.

From what I get, the curve looks like this:

So I would try       +5.6   +5.6   +5.4     +4    +2.8   +1.2   +0.4     ––     ––     ––        to emulate bass boost 2

and                        +6      +6     +5.4   +4.2   +1.8    ––     –1.6     –2      –2     –2        to emulate bass boost 1
thanks a ton JaZZ, you have always come as help. I tried the frequencies you mentioned and yess sound is very close to E6. I think what is missing is the added lushness to the overall sound. It sounds bit dry compared to E6. Listening to Christina Aguilera's we again.... The bass difference is evident. Quantity is same but not as lush. May be it lacks the 3d depth or reverb by a small margin.
Once again thanks for you input.Head-fi world is still alive because of genuine people.

Jun 15, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #4,374 of 9,972
You could still play around with the EQ on the basis of my recommendations trying to get even closer – preferably with fine steps.

Jun 15, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #4,376 of 9,972
I recently acquired a new X3ll and although I am happy with it, I am not sure if there is anything wrong with it as it is not as loud as my X3l.  I have the most up to date firmware on both devices (1.11 and 3.34b).  I use different headphones so that is not the issue as I have to put the new x3ll up to 120 to just get the same volume as 70 on the X3l.  Is this a problem with my new device?

Jun 15, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #4,377 of 9,972
  I recently acquired a new X3ll and although I am happy with it, I am not sure if there is anything wrong with it as it is not as loud as my X3l.  I have the most up to date firmware on both devices (1.11 and 3.34b).  I use different headphones so that is not the issue as I have to put the new x3ll up to 120 to just get the same volume as 70 on the X3l.  Is this a problem with my new device?

Was the X3i on high gain the x3ii on low gain? 

Jun 15, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #4,378 of 9,972

Two possible causes: low gain / high gain, EQ on / EQ off. – Just speculation, though.

Jun 15, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #4,380 of 9,972
I really respect fiio and what they are doing, but I can't bring myself to buy anything. I have owned only one of their amps (e17) and didn't like it. Particularly what seemed like dishonest bass. I know the head fi hobby is geared toward trying and buying, but none of the current daps come through with all the variables for me. Especially ui

I can definitely tell you, after having directly compared the E17 to this new X3, that the X3 is significantly ahead in terms of sound quality. I go into more specifics in my review: http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-x3-2nd-gen-ultraportable-hi-res-dap/reviews/13271

As for UI, I think the FiiO UI is pretty good and well-refined for the most part, but as always this is subjective I won't just tell you that it will definitely be to your taste.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back