The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Jun 12, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #4,336 of 9,972
  I knew that it couldn't output music signals through USB, but I wondered if it could output data so you could connect it to another DAC like the iFi Micro iDSD.

A DAC is no computer, so it can just handle (digital) music signals, no other data.

Jun 13, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #4,341 of 9,972
I'm not sure whether people will agree with me or not but somehow I'm not happy with the equalizer of Fiio X3ii. The default settings are really good but ideally equalizer should fine tune the sound but in this case it's just reducing the other frequencies and overall volume. I've never used high end equipments, may be that's how it should behave. But I'm very much used to Cowon settings where every slider makes difference in the sound. I personally feel X3ii lacks sub bass. It suits for warmer sounding headphones or bassy headphones but if you have neutral sounding headphones then it doesn't add that subbaas you need.
In my case Fiio E6 helps in adding that warmth in the sound. But I feel Fiio could have easily add some bass tuning feature worth $27.

Jun 13, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #4,342 of 9,972
I should have no trouble charging the X3ii with my Samsung Galaxy cable, yes? I know this comes with its own cord, but I tend to have microUSB cords already in place throughout my life. 
biggrin.gif

Jun 13, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #4,343 of 9,972
I'm not sure whether people will agree with me or not but somehow I'm not happy with the equalizer of Fiio X3ii. The default settings are really good but ideally equalizer should fine tune the sound but in this case it's just reducing the other frequencies and overall volume. I've never used high end equipments, may be that's how it should behave. But I'm very much used to Cowon settings where every slider makes difference in the sound. I personally feel X3ii lacks sub bass. It suits for warmer sounding headphones or bassy headphones but if you have neutral sounding headphones then it doesn't add that subbaas you need.
In my case Fiio E6 helps in adding that warmth in the sound. But I feel Fiio could have easily add some bass tuning feature worth $27.

I thought it lowered overall volume to prevent sound clipping. That is they way it's designed.
Personally I think the source should be neutral and you should color your sound through the headphones you use with, if needed, help from a bit EQing.

Jun 13, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #4,344 of 9,972
  I thought it lowered overall volume to prevent sound clipping. That is they way it's designed.
Personally I think the source should be neutral and you should color your sound through the headphones you use with, if needed, help from a bit EQing.

Or, alternatively: equalize the sound of the headphones you use.
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 13, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #4,346 of 9,972
I agree now. Didn't think of sound clipping earlier. Anyway I've E6 for the kind of bass I prefer but I absolutely adore forward mids and clearer/ detailed highs on X3ii.

Jun 13, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #4,347 of 9,972

From what I understand, most devices lower the volume a few notches when EQ is enabled. This gives the user room to adjust any frequency they desire, up or down, without exceeding the upper limit of clear, undistorted sound.

Just turn the volume a little higher after you've EQ'ed your music.

It's been suggested FiiO simply take those volume notches off the top, so the user won't notice... unless they were already listening at the upper reaches of the Pot.

Jun 13, 2015 at 7:11 PM Post #4,348 of 9,972
I'm sorry but these kind of statements are just absolute rubbish. Better sounding in one direction. Come on mate, you can't be serious.

I could use a coat hanger and you would not be able to discern the difference.

It's no wonder I'm going off this hobby - big time.

I was hoping someone else would mention this, as I am not as eloquent as you. the whole sounding better in a certain direction is total bunk. it's a conductive cable, and its not polarized.for the record, I have a degree in electronic engineering, this is bunk IMPO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back