The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Jun 11, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #4,306 of 9,972
You Well the otg is also a big benefit. Add a four dollar otg adapter and a $90 (or less) PNY usb stick and you have 256gb additional storage

Re: :dsd. I think that unless the maranta has native dsd processing the benefit of native dsd on the x3 would be erased. Better to take the line output into an aux input

Even my Yamaha RX-V863 from 2008 supports DSD.  If it didn't support the format you wouldn't get any sound, there is no in between with digital audio.

Jun 11, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #4,308 of 9,972

But didn't somebody discover that the X3ii was sending 24/88 PCM when playing DSD through the SPDIF out?

Yep you are right, I just checked it on my receiver.  I think from what I just read the only way to get bit perfect DSD playback is over HDMI, which is how my receiver's manual lists the DSD support.

Jun 11, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #4,309 of 9,972

Even my Yamaha RX-V863 from 2008 supports DSD.  If it didn't support the format you wouldn't get any sound, there is no in between with digital audio.

DSD is a funny beast.  Does that receiver in question convert DSD to PCM or does it have native processing? 

Only mid and high range receivers can handle DSD files in any capacity.  DSD processing of any kind, let alone direct processing is not a universal feature by any means.

Most likely the receiver being discussed converts DSD to PCM if it handles DSD at all. Most receivers do that.  The original X3 did that.  I think my high faluting newer Denon converts DSD to PCM.  My older Onkyo actually does native DSD processing in direct mode but that is unusual. 

AVS Forum looked at the Yamaha V863 that you have and could not determine whether it had native DSD processing or not, in the pure direct mode.   So you may in fact have a unit that has that feature; kudos to you.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/1230824-list-av-receivers-pre-pros-pure-dsd-analog-processing.html

In any case my point remains.  If you really want to demonstrate DSD at its best is must be processed in a native fashion; DSD right to analog.  Otherwise you might as well convert the DSD file to PCM using foobar.

Jun 11, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #4,310 of 9,972

DSD is a funny beast.  Does that Yamaha convert DSD to PCM or does it have native processing? 

By the way, only mid and high range receivers can handle DSD files in any capacity.  That is not a universal feature by any means.

Bet it converts to PCM. Most receivers do that.  The original X3 did that.  I think my high faluting Denon converts DSD to PCM.

In which case my point remains.  If you really want to demonstrate DSD at its best is must be processed in a native fashion; DSD right to analog.  Otherwise you might as well convert the DSD file to PCM using foobar.

It is native (over HDMI), here is a screen from the manual:

Also I never said it was universal, but we are talking about a Marantz SR7007.  I was saying if my older Yamaha supports it, I am pretty sure the high end Marantz does.

Jun 11, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #4,311 of 9,972

It is native (over HDMI), here is a screen from the manual:

Also I never said it was universal, but we are talking about a Marantz SR7007. 
I was saying if my older Yamaha supports it, I am pretty sure the high end Marantz does.

It lists compatible signal types and formats, but doesn't tell if it leaves them untouched.

Jun 11, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #4,312 of 9,972
When I play a SA-CD through my Oppo it shows 2.8224 MHz on the signal info over HDMI. 

Why does it matter so much?  All I was trying to do was list something cool the X3II could do, although now I see it is PCM from the coax instead of being bit perfect.

Jun 11, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #4,313 of 9,972
I had edited my original post without refreshing my screen.  So both of you are really on the ball.

Yes, looks to me like the Yamaha has "the right stuff".

FWIW, I suspect you need to keep the Yamaha in one of the direct modes to maintain the analog like signal chain.

But....my post was in reference to the Marantz SR7007.  And here I have disappointing news.

The SR7007 can accept a Direct Stream Digital (DSD) feed but it converts this to PCM before converting to analogue.  (Very typical nowadays).

Found that in a review:

https://www.avforums.com/review/marantz-sr7007-7-2-channel-av-receiver-review.450#sectionAnchor25437

So I definitely rest my case.  Don't feel bad.  My spiffy recent upper mid Denon also converts DSD to PCM.  I just do not think many people care much about direct SACD/DSD processing anymore.

If you want that feature then you might consider the  purchase of an Oppo and feed the analog outputs to the receiver.   Or feed the X3 Gen II or X5 Gen II via analog.

Say, did you know that James of FIIO is ex-Oppo.  News you can use.

Jun 11, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #4,314 of 9,972
Huh, that is surprising. Wonder if my brother's Denon AVR-4311CI is converting it after his Oppo.  Also yea I run it in "Pure Direct" mode and when playing a SA-CD it will actually light up "Pure DSD".  The only downside is you get no bass management features when doing this which is most apparent with 5.0 DSD playback.

I believe once again we are off-topic though, haha.

Edit: lawls, he wishes he had the X7200W, wrong model
biggrin.gif

Jun 11, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #4,315 of 9,972
  Huh, that is surprising. Wonder if my brother's Denon AVR-4311CI is converting it after his Oppo.  Also yea I run it in "Pure Direct" mode and when playing a SA-CD it will actually light up "Pure DSD".  The only downside is you get no bass management features when doing this which is most apparent with 5.0 DSD playback.

Yeah, no EQ, no tone controls with DSD. But do you really think DSD recordings have never been processed? Which would have been done in PCM mode. I don't think unprocessed recordings is something worthwile – in view of microphone nonlinearities and over-all sonic balance equalization. So any PCM conversion during playback is nothing to care about in my book.

Jun 11, 2015 at 6:34 PM Post #4,316 of 9,972

Yeah, no EQ, no tone controls with DSD. But do you really think DSD recordings have never been processed? Which would have been done in PCM mode. I don't think unprocessed recordings is something worthwile – in view of microphone nonlinearities and over-all sonic balance equalization. So any PCM conversion during playback is nothing to care about in my book.

That is a good point about DSD being processed after recording, I had never thought about that before.  However do we know for sure that DSD is being post processed like that.  I like to read as much as possible on the subject and I'd like find out about DSD mastering and if there is any difference with mastering SA-CDs vs. CDs.  Really the whole premise is supposed to be as little altering as possible from mic to speaker.

I do agree it is virtually impossible to tell the difference between the same recording purchased on HDTracks vs. SA-CD.  However that DSD light on my AVR makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside, lol.

If you have a minute take a listen to the end of this video.  These guys make some interesting points, but I am not sure I follow the comparison about DSD to how a speaker physically works.  If you follow the 0's and 1's analogy then all digital music works like a speaker, haha.

BTW we are on topic since we are discussing DSD and not my receiver
redface.gif

Last edit, if anyone is looking for an affordable way to play DSD to an AVR, check out the Sony BDP-S370/470/570 ($30-$90 on Ebay).  It supports .dff/.dsf files over USB and obviously SA-CD.

Jun 11, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #4,317 of 9,972
  Don't be sorry for your opinion, I suppose using the same logic - all DAP's sound the same and all cars are the same beacuase they all have four wheels.

My post was in response to a specific question regarding connecting an X3ii to an amp and I answered it from my experience. For instance is there no such thing as static electricity or am I mixing that up with brain burn in. LOL

We could discuss the science behind it (on a different thread) but if people dont have an open mind - then there is no point in dicussing it any further.

Lets just listen to some music and relax, is it not what this hobby is all about. 

It is precisely my open mind that allows to me to question or comment on the claims or statements made by you. Instead of replying intelligently with evidenced based proof to substantiate your claims you reply with a thinly veiled insult.

You have posted those claims in two different threads none of which are in the sound science section. Yes you could discuss it in that section but according to you anybody that questions those claims has a closed mind and there is no point in discussing it further. Who has the closed mind??

And I do listen to the music pal. I'm certainly not wondering whether my interconnects are back to front or how many hours burn in my copper cable has whilst doing so.
etysmile.gif

If you want to insult me further please do it via PM.

Jun 11, 2015 at 11:44 PM Post #4,318 of 9,972
  Quote:

What really drew me to the X3II was the native DSD decoding abilities along with the general reputation of the X3.  I was using a Cowon iAudio 9+ before and I could never go back now.  However if I already had the original X3, I'm not sure I could justify it either (on my budget).

One of the really cool things about the X3II is being able to go over to my friend's house and plug up to his Marantz SR7007 through coax and introduce him to DSD  
very_evil_smiley.gif

I can appreciate the extra features the X3II has like DSD decoding. However I have trouble distinguishing the difference between a well mastered red book album vs hi-res vs same album ripped to 320 mp3. I did play around with some dsd files when I had my X5 but the idea of 180mb files vs 10mb just did not sit well. Of course YMMV.

The X3 has a more powerful amp, hardware based bass and treble controls, tactile controls and a DAC that has a sound signature I like. If it ain't broke.

Everyday I'm tempted to buy another DAP but common sense usually gets the better of me just before I hit the buy button!!

Jun 12, 2015 at 2:23 AM Post #4,319 of 9,972
I've been playing with the X3 for a few hours now and I am impressed.
It a robust player, very well built and the hardware feels great when engaged.
The software is surprisingly good, everything looks neat and works tidy.
I'm still discovering the sound to be honest, so I can't comment much on that. But it's a very clean sound, I like.

But, I feel some things could have been better

1. The lock button is painfully hard to get to with a case on, things would be great if we could turn the screen back on by pressing the middle button. (Or, maybe a double press like a double click.)
2. In the Now Playing screen, it would be nice if we had the option to display just the album art, hiding all other info.
3. I'm also getting a "Output Error - Please reconnect earphones" message when I disconnect the headphones. This goes away only with a restart (Using FW 1.11Beta).
EDIT:4. Another feature I forgot to suggest, adding songs to a "now playing" list (kind of like the Golist on the sansas). It is a very handy feature and I would love to see that implemented.

All in all, a great little player.
Good job Fiio!

Jun 12, 2015 at 2:32 AM Post #4,320 of 9,972
Just purchased a Cayin C5 amp, to go with my X3ii. The amp comes with your standard 3.5-3.5mm cable. Would I gain anything by stepping up to the "nicer" FiiO L16 cable? I know this is kind of a subjective subject, but any insight would be appreciated.

As far as sound quality goes no, absolutely not. At least not that you or anybody else here would be able to accurately measure. Aesthetically, well that's another story. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back