The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Jun 10, 2015 at 7:04 AM Post #4,276 of 9,972
If the X5 II FW is anything like the X5 Classic I'm afraid the answer would be no.

Jun 10, 2015 at 7:05 AM Post #4,277 of 9,972
The Now Playing shortcut menu is far from great, because choosing options other than the first requires to use of the wheel which is annoying for accurate selection (it ignores clicks). Holding a button and clicking another is way way faster and easier to do.

Jun 10, 2015 at 7:11 AM Post #4,278 of 9,972
The Now Playing shortcut menu is far from great, because choosing options other than the first requires to use of the wheel which is annoying for accurate selection (it ignores clicks). Holding a button and clicking another is way way faster and easier to do.

Not sure about the X5 II, but on the original X5 you don't need to use the wheel in the Now Playing shortcut. You can use the FF/RW buttons to go through the shortcut menu selections (just tested it).

Personally I don't put any emphasis on the clicks in the wheel and could care less if one click moves one selection. If it were harder to move then yeah, but the wheel is pretty free flowing and the clicks don't affect movement.

Jun 10, 2015 at 7:55 AM Post #4,279 of 9,972
Try this: Use the Now Playing menu to get to the option that's one before last (the one before Delete Song), think how long it took you. Now try holding Play and Clicking Back. Now tell me which option is faster and easier. 

Jun 10, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #4,280 of 9,972
Just purchased a Cayin C5 amp, to go with my X3ii. The amp comes with your standard 3.5-3.5mm cable. Would I gain anything by stepping up to the "nicer" FiiO L16 cable? I know this is kind of a subjective subject, but any insight would be appreciated.

From my experience I believe cables make a difference as well as burn/run in time (some people don't of course).

I have had Fiio L2 (straight), L8 (angled) and L16 (straight) and I prefer the L2 + L8.  Initially the L16 is impressive with more top end sparkle but closer comparisons after run in time shows the L2 + L8 have better/stronger bass and mids and equal top end detail compared to the L16. All are OCC copper.

IMO,  it is important to mark the source end of the cable with marker or tape (or note direction of the writing on the cable) on the cable as the run in time/process makes the cable directional ( i.e. better sounding in one direction only)

However the L16 + L17 (angled) could be used to fine tune a darker sounding rig if required for example.

I am not a fan of silver plated analogue cables however solid silver is a different story but expensive and I also prefer silver plated digital/USB cables.

Of course we all have different preferences and hearing abilities but anyway experimenting for yourself may make the difference you are looking for!

Jun 10, 2015 at 9:13 AM Post #4,281 of 9,972
  To anyone with the Dignis case that hasn't figured this out yet.  The easiest way to get the X3II out of the case is to use the plugged in USB cable to push it through the top of the case and remove it.  I haven't figured out another way that is any better than this.  Good luck!!

I just push it out with a pencil using the eraser end so I don't scratch it but I guess that way would work too.

Jun 10, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #4,282 of 9,972
just got to be careful you don't apply any twisting torque to the plug as you could damage the connector. I use the pencil eraser as well as it is a soft touch.

Jun 10, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #4,284 of 9,972
  From my experience I believe cables make a difference as well as burn/run in time (some people don't of course).

I have had Fiio L2 (straight), L8 (angled) and L16 (straight) and I prefer the L2 + L8.  Initially the L16 is impressive with more top end sparkle but closer comparisons after run in time shows the L2 + L8 have better/stronger bass and mids and equal top end detail compared to the L16. All are OCC copper.

IMO,  it is important to mark the source end of the cable with marker or tape (or note direction of the writing on the cable) on the cable as the run in time/process makes the cable directional ( i.e. better sounding in one direction only)

However the L16 + L17 (angled) could be used to fine tune a darker sounding rig if required for example.

I am not a fan of silver plated analogue cables however solid silver is a different story but expensive and I also prefer silver plated digital/USB cables.

Of course we all have different preferences and hearing abilities but anyway experimenting for yourself may make the difference you are looking for!

Thank you for the informative answer.  I guess it all comes down to what "I" hear.  So, I'm going to have to do some experimenting with different interconnects.  Appreciated.

Jun 10, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #4,285 of 9,972
  Thank you for the informative answer.  I guess it all comes down to what "I" hear.  So, I'm going to have to do some experimenting with different interconnects.  Appreciated.

The problem being that it's often very easy to trick yourself into thinking you heard something, especially if the "nicer" cable looks a lot more fancy!

Jun 10, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #4,286 of 9,972
  To anyone with the Dignis case that hasn't figured this out yet.  The easiest way to get the X3II out of the case is to use the plugged in USB cable to push it through the top of the case and remove it.  I haven't figured out another way that is any better than this.  Good luck!!

Quote:

Take a look at this one: http://ghentaudio.com/part/d01.html (Canare L-2B2AT) 1ft = $10

or this one: http://ghentaudio.com/part/d11.html (Canare L-4E6S) - 1ft = $12

Extremely high quality and both are very affordable.  The only downside is the wait on the shipping.  High quality cable gains are always up for debate, but these are worth the small cost IMO (if you are looking at aftermarket cables that is).

I apologize if many think this is a silly question but I am a little new to this. Will the above cables produce better quality sound than this cable:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111184516268?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&var=410221734350&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I have been looking to get decent cables but want the biggest bang for my buck. Thanks!

Jun 10, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #4,287 of 9,972
  I apologize if many think this is a silly question but I am a little new to this. Will the above cables produce better quality sound than this cable:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111184516268?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&var=410221734350&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I have been looking to get decent cables but want the biggest bang for my buck. Thanks!

Looks like a nice cable for a reasonable price but do you want enhanced treble because that's what Silver plated Cooper will give you?

Jun 10, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #4,290 of 9,972
Try this: Use the Now Playing menu to get to the option that's one before last (the one before Delete Song), think hold long it took you. Now try holding Play and Clicking Back. Now tell me which option is faster and easier. 

Three words: One Hand Operation.

You value speed of access, that's fine. Either way I hope that FiiO does implement a shortcut to the EQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back