The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Jun 10, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #4,291 of 9,972
  The 990's have plenty treble. If anything I would like more mid range or sub bass. Do the other cables have any enhancements to the best of your knowledge?

Sounds like Fiio L2 or L8 should do the trick (and 50-100 hours burn in time will do no harm to the sound or your pocket)

Jun 11, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #4,293 of 9,972
Three words: One Hand Operation.

You value speed of access, that's fine. Either way I hope that FiiO does implement a shortcut to the EQ.

My suggestion actually works better with one hand when the player is in the pocket. You can still open the EQ with one hand. Good luck doing that with anything that requires selecting options with the wheel.

Jun 11, 2015 at 8:11 AM Post #4,294 of 9,972

I have had Fiio L2 (straight), L8 (angled) and L16 (straight) and I prefer the L2 + L8.  Initially the L16 is impressive with more top end sparkle but closer comparisons after run in time shows the L2 + L8 have better/stronger bass and mids and equal top end detail compared to the L16. All are OCC copper.

IMO,  it is important to mark the source end of the cable with marker or tape (or note direction of the writing on the cable) on the cable as the run in time/process makes the cable directional ( i.e. better sounding in one direction only)

However the L16 + L17 (angled) could be used to fine tune a darker sounding rig if required for example.

I'm sorry but these kind of statements are just absolute rubbish. Better sounding in one direction. Come on mate, you can't be serious.

I could use a coat hanger and you would not be able to discern the difference.

It's no wonder I'm going off this hobby - big time.

Jun 11, 2015 at 8:31 AM Post #4,295 of 9,972
Finally received my Fiio X3 along with the Dignis case.
biggrin.gif

But sadly, I don't have my SD card with me in the office.
Can't wait to get back home and give her a listen! 

Jun 11, 2015 at 8:37 AM Post #4,296 of 9,972
  The 990's have plenty treble. If anything I would like more mid range or sub bass. Do the other cables have any enhancements to the best of your knowledge?

I was just showing some high quality Canare cables for a very reasonable price.  I think anyone trying to claim specific frequency responses based on the metallic used is probably pulling your leg. 

Schiit Audio does sell some PYST cables that use Unobtanium™ though, perhaps try those? 
wink.gif

Jun 11, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #4,298 of 9,972
Perhaps we are getting a tad off topic again?  This is just going to cause days/pages of arguments that will get us nowhere and prove nothing.

I will say that the resistance of cable DOES make a difference.  Beyond that it is hard to quantify and just because it's on the internet doesn't make it true.

Jun 11, 2015 at 9:17 AM Post #4,299 of 9,972
  I'm sorry but these kind of statements are just absolute rubbish. Better sounding in one direction. Come on mate, you can't be serious.

Audio restoration expert Steve Hoffman once said he knew a person who could tell in a blind test which end of the cable is plugged where 10 times in a row without a mistake.

Jun 11, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #4,300 of 9,972

Audio restoration expert Steve Hoffman once said he knew a person who could tell in a blind test which end of the cable is plugged where 10 times in a row without a mistake.

Unfortunately anecdotal "evidence" is not real evidence.  Show me him actually doing it, then I'd be convinced.  I'd also be amazed as it should be impossible.

But how about we leave the cable comments - they only lead to thread locks.  And they have nothing really to do with this current thread 
wink.gif

Jun 11, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #4,301 of 9,972

I heard the same reference once before and this time I decided to look it up, here you go:

https://www.facebook.com/latourhighendaudio/posts/882428061774010

Kevin LaTour at Acoustic Image in Studio City, California.

Jun 11, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #4,302 of 9,972
  Perhaps we are getting a tad off topic again?  This is just going to cause days/pages of arguments that will get us nowhere and prove nothing.

I will say that the resistance of cable DOES make a difference.  Beyond that it is hard to quantify and just because it's on the internet doesn't make it true.

My apologies. I just could not let that post stand on it's merits without some sort of retort. I've been lurking and posting around here a long time and I just get a little pissed at some of the claims made by some members of this community. With regard to Hoffman's "Stories" they are just that. Stories. Perhaps the guy was an idiot savant.

Back on topic. I still cannot justify replacing my original X3 with anything ATM.

Jun 11, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #4,303 of 9,972
Quote:
  Back on topic. I still cannot justify replacing my original X3 with anything ATM.

What really drew me to the X3II was the native DSD decoding abilities along with the general reputation of the X3.  I was using a Cowon iAudio 9+ before and I could never go back now.  However if I already had the original X3, I'm not sure I could justify it either (on my budget).

One of the really cool things about the X3II is being able to go over to my friend's house and plug up to his Marantz SR7007 through coax and introduce him to DSD  
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 11, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #4,304 of 9,972
You Well the otg is also a big benefit. Add a four dollar otg adapter and a $90 (or less) PNY usb stick and you have 256gb additional storage

Re: :dsd. I think that unless the maranta has native dsd processing the benefit of native dsd on the x3 would be erased. Better to take the line output into an aux input

Jun 11, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #4,305 of 9,972

Don't be sorry for your opinion, I suppose using the same logic - all DAP's sound the same and all cars are the same beacuase they all have four wheels.

My post was in response to a specific question regarding connecting an X3ii to an amp and I answered it from my experience. For instance is there no such thing as static electricity or am I mixing that up with brain burn in. LOL

We could discuss the science behind it (on a different thread) but if people dont have an open mind - then there is no point in dicussing it any further.

Lets just listen to some music and relax, is it not what this hobby is all about. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back