The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Jun 13, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #4,354 of 9,972
I was hoping someone else would mention this, as I am not as eloquent as you. the whole sounding better in a certain direction is total bunk. it's a conductive cable, and its not polarized.for the record, I have a degree in electronic engineering, this is bunk IMPO.

Yeah, I have way with words don't I, not.
biggrin.gif

I started a thread in the sound science section with regard to this;

http://www.head-fi.org/t/771267/cable-burn-in-with-regard-to-audio-directionality

Be sure to check out my quote from the Cardas website re cable burn in. It's an eye opener.

Back on topic.

Jun 14, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #4,356 of 9,972
What is the correct/best method to delete songs/albums?

I thought I could just plug it into USB and delete songs via the computer/mac finder etc. the same way you put music on (drag and drop). I deleted an album of mp3's and replaced it with  the same songs but in FLAC, when I went back to X3 and updated media library both the mp3's and the FLAC's showed up?

However,  they (mp3's) only showed up in category->artist not in folder view...

Jun 14, 2015 at 12:58 AM Post #4,357 of 9,972

I thought I could just plug it into USB and delete songs via the computer/mac finder etc. the same way you put music on (drag and drop). I deleted an album of mp3's and replaced it with  the same songs but in FLAC, when I went back to X3 and updated media library both the mp3's and the FLAC's showed up?

First, I'd make sure all remnants of the files are deleted. No folders, no images, nothing. Next, reboot the device. If they still appear in the system, I don't have the foggiest.

My X3 hasn't arrived yet, so I'm just shooting blind.

Jun 14, 2015 at 1:22 AM Post #4,359 of 9,972

Same thing happened to me on my first gen X3, it must be a mac thing. For some odd reason it doesn't actually delete things when you delete them, it puts them into a hidden folder (mine was called .trashes). I don't know if you have a windows machine, but I plugged it into windows computer, showed hidden folders, and went in and deleted all of my music that was hiding in there. I'm sure there's a way to show hidden folders on mac, but I'm not entirely sure. In any case, that's likely what's happening: your music is quite literally hiding in a hidden folder. 

Hey thanks a lot cv - I'll check that out soon, just having a bit of a Jamey Johnson youtube concert at the moment....

Much appreciated! :)

Jun 14, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #4,360 of 9,972
I use the E12A Amp and I love it. The X3 is fine on its own and great for portability but when I want the most from my Grados and my Px100II's I am breaking in for a Senngrado build, I go to the E12A on High gain mode. Both units are Titanium color and they complement each other nicely. While maybe not as pocket portable as the x3 on its own, the extra power makes my Grados sing.

Jun 14, 2015 at 7:40 AM Post #4,362 of 9,972
This has happened to me with other external devices plugged into the Mac.  You have to remember to empty the "waste basket" on the Mac before you remove the device, otherwise the files remain "hidden" in the .trashes folder and the space is not freed up on the device.

Jun 14, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #4,363 of 9,972

Can't say it'll work for the 2nd gen, but works on the 1st.

Try doing an update without the sd card installed. This will help flush the missing files from the library. Not sure if it'll help with the 2nd gen though, not having internal memory.
On the first gen you can also delete the library completely, but it involves unhiding system files, and I don't know where the lib is stored on the 2nd.

Another fw feature request: initialise/reset library function?

Jun 15, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #4,365 of 9,972
I thought it lowered overall volume to prevent sound clipping. That is they way it's designed.
Personally I think the source should be neutral and you should color your sound through the headphones you use with, if needed, help from a bit EQing.

I agree that the player should be neutral in default settings but there should be options to modify sound as user prefers to. Most of us use amps to enhance musical experience on the source and I'm sure no one likes to carry bulky setups while traveling. X3ii is meant to be used as portable player. Giving high gain switch and not giving bass tuning option is surprising. Or may be its because they want user to buy their amps. People cannot switch different headphones for different sounds every time, it's not a practical solution for everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back