The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Jun 15, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #4,381 of 9,972
I'm new to Fiio products so maybe I am missing something or maybe there is a legitimate problem with my DAP. When paired with my Ostry KC06A iems, the sound is balanced and crystal clear. I just tried my go-to desktop cans (which sounds amazing on my desktop system) and the same test track sounded like I was at the bottom of some deep swamp plugged into the X3 II.
I just updated the firmware so could this be a problem with powering the cans which are considered "portable" on ears? 

Jun 15, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #4,382 of 9,972
It might help if you listed what your "desktop cans" are.

Did you have the jack inserted all the way?

Jun 15, 2015 at 11:23 PM Post #4,384 of 9,972
I received my X3II from xsk3l3t0rx today. So far, I didn't get a chance to listen much. Tomorrow at work, however, I'll be doing little else. :)

The unit is very nice in-hand and function. I was not immediately impressed by the sound, though. I'm not sure if this is just me being accustomed to the signature of my Galaxy S4//USB Audio Player Pro//DragonFly1.2, or if the X3 is honestly not as good.

I'll have a better idea by the end of work tomorrow, after quite a few hours of listening.

PS. I'm listening via ATH-IM03 IEMs

Jun 16, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #4,386 of 9,972
  I recently acquired a new X3ll and although I am happy with it, I am not sure if there is anything wrong with it as it is not as loud as my X3l. 

FWIW at least on paper the X3 actually has more powerful amplification and better ability to handle certain impedance loads.  In the real world that may not matter but "its in the specs".  So it may not be you but you might have the right combination of cans and tastes in music where that particular difference actually is audible. 

If you turn up the volume or the gain, can your X3II get the job done? Or does it run out of steam.  If it gets the job done, who really cares if the volume is set at 70, 80 or 110?

Jun 16, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #4,387 of 9,972
  FWIW at least on paper the X3 actually has more powerful amplification and better ability to handle certain impedance loads.  In the real world that may not matter but "its in the specs".  So it may not be you but you might have the right combination of cans and tastes in music where that particular difference actually is audible. 

If you turn up the volume or the gain, can your X3II get the job done? Or does it run out of steam.  If it gets the job done, who really cares if the volume is set at 70, 80 or 110?

I don't find my X3II is all that much different that the original X3. Not as warm but I always kept the bass and treble set to zero on my old X3. The volume levels are pretty much the same for me.

Jun 16, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #4,388 of 9,972
Thank you for you quick and thoughtful answers/replies.  I was mostly concerned that I may have a faulty device because as the specs show the X3II should have the better amp.  I have created both devices on lo and lo gain, high and high gain, and no eq.  The original X3 is simply louder.  I use dacs and amplifiers but with my reading into the new X3II people were saying it had the same amp abilities as the E12.

Jun 16, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #4,389 of 9,972
I recently acquired a new X3ll and although I am happy with it, I am not sure if there is anything wrong with it as it is not as loud as my X3l.  I have the most up to date firmware on both devices (1.11 and 3.34b).  I use different headphones so that is not the issue as I have to put the new x3ll up to 120 to just get the same volume as 70 on the X3l.  Is this a problem with my new device?

When listening with with my hd650 or dt990 my x3 has quite abit more power than my x3II ,With both set to high gain. Even so i find that the x3II does fine with these cans, just have to up the dial a bit.

Jun 16, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #4,390 of 9,972
Greetings all.

So a while back I made a thread and posted some comments regarding a new music player and headphones to replace my PsP 1000 + AKG* K330 setup.

I can now proudly say I have made a major upgrade to a FiiO X3K (II) + Dunu DH-1000 IEMs.

I can say for sure that the 2 are a great match. No need to use the X3's software equalizer at all.

I will however mention that's its super important to chose the correct tips for the DH-1000's, thankfully they come with a vast variety of choices. I thought I would go for the foam tips but they didn't work out, but I did find a pair I liked and fit well, along with the red (largest) extension loop + rubber over ear clip. I know many people say these IEM's are heavy, and they are ...when ur holding them, but once u have them in ur ears u don't really notice, I don't at least.

The X3K has plenty of power to drive these IEM's, very loud at 120 volume + high gain with 0 distortion (Linkin Park 'In the End' FLAC). Ill likely only ever use 80-85 volume with low gain as I cant have them up to loud whilst im working in a busy vehicle plant....even with just 1 earphone in use (not allowed to have both earphones in).

The one and only thing I 'currently' can pick fault with is the screen, even at max brightness it just cant handle bright environments, but that's a TN panel for you I guess.

X3K £160, DH-1000 £130, Sandisk 128gb SD card £58 .... £348 well spent.

Now I just need to 'acquire' more lossless music.

*EDIT: AKG ..not AFK ..:p

Jun 16, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #4,391 of 9,972
  Greetings all.

So a while back I made a thread and posted some comments regarding a new music player and headphones to replace my PsP 1000 + AFK K330 setup.

I can now proudly say I have made a major upgrade to a FiiO X3K (II) + Dunu DH-1000 IEMs.

I can say for sure that the 2 are a great match. No need to use the X3's software equalizer at all.

I will however mention that's its super important to chose the correct tips for the DH-1000's, thankfully they come with a vast variety of choices. I thought I would go for the foam tips but they didn't work out, but I did find a pair I liked and fit well, along with the red (largest) extension loop + rubber over ear clip. I know many people say these IEM's are heavy, and they are ...when ur holding them, but once u have them in ur ears u don't really notice, I don't at least.

The X3K has plenty of power to drive these IEM's, very loud at 120 volume + high gain with 0 distortion (Linkin Park 'In the End' FLAC). Ill likely only ever use 80-85 volume with low gain as I cant have them up to loud whilst im working in a busy vehicle plant....even with just 1 earphone in use (not allowed to have both earphones in).

The one and only thing I 'currently' can pick fault with is the screen, even at max brightness it just cant handle bright environments, but that's a TN panel for you I guess.

I think I remember your post awhile back. I have the X3II and the DH-1000s and I find them to be a great combination. I don't use the EQ either. They sound great with the Eq off. I'm glad you like them and your X3II!

Jun 16, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #4,392 of 9,972
but with my reading into the new X3II people were saying it had the same amp abilities as the E12.

WHAT? Nobody has said that. What utter nonsense. No wonder you are disappointed; you're five steps removed from reality. :)

Jun 16, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #4,393 of 9,972
Greetings all.

So a while back I made a thread and posted some comments regarding a new music player and headphones to replace my PsP 1000 + AFK K330 setup.

That's one beauty of Dunu DN-1000, it's very versatile too basically any source, and I've tried a few with that hybrid. With a normal source they sound good. With a good source they sound great. Always impresses me how well they scale.

Jun 16, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #4,394 of 9,972

The original X3 is simply louder.  I use dacs and amplifiers but with my reading into the new X3II people were saying it had the same amp abilities as the E12.

Yes, the original X3 is more powerful and the hardware bass/treble are implemented in the amplification circuit so there is no volume reduction when used. The comparisons to the e12 were probably actually the e12A, which is the IEM version of the original e12 and it's much less powerful than the original e12. The X3 II and the e12A are closer in power ratings, but the e12A is still more powerful than the X3 II.

Jun 16, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #4,395 of 9,972
I've listened to the X3II for quite a few hours today.

It was remarkably dark-sounding. After EQ'ing, most of the veil lifted. It sounds more like my DragonFly now, though the soundstage is not as wide, nor as revealing.

Even though I'm using IEMs, I've yet her to High Gain. I've tried to convince myself she sounds a little more open that way. I have my doubts.

I'm going to write up a proper review after I've had more time with it, and tested it on a few more phones.

Right now I must say I like it, just not as much as the DragonFly1.2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back