The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Jun 5, 2015 at 5:35 AM Post #4,111 of 9,972
Checking the file in foobar2000 (with the requisite SACD plugins) would also reveal whether the file is encoded in DSD or DST. :xf_eek:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 5, 2015 at 6:52 AM Post #4,112 of 9,972
  might be because it is DST and not DSD. 
Try splitting the iso file with iso2dsd and make sure to check "convert DST to DSD" before you do it.

Checking the file in foobar2000 (with the requisite SACD plugins) would also reveal whether the file is encoded in DSD or DST.
redface.gif

I see. Noted thanks! I will check later, and update.

Jun 5, 2015 at 7:21 AM Post #4,113 of 9,972
My files are DFF, but I just realized that Jazz at the Pawnshop is one that has 2.0 and 5.0, so that is probably the cause.

Also what is DST vs. DFF/DSF?

Jun 5, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #4,114 of 9,972
  might be because it is DST and not DSD. 
Try splitting the iso file with iso2dsd and make sure to check "convert DST to DSD" before you do it.

Checking the file in foobar2000 (with the requisite SACD plugins) would also reveal whether the file is encoded in DSD or DST.
redface.gif

You're right! The DST codec seems to be the issue here.

So far the largest DSD ISO image I have is 2.55 GB, and it is confirmed playable.
The larger ISO images I have mostly DST, therefore are not supported.
Converted DST ISO image into DFF files are playable. So the solution for DST ISO images is to convert them into DSD DFF files or PCM files.

Thank you!

My files are DFF, but I just realized that Jazz at the Pawnshop is one that has 2.0 and 5.0, so that is probably the cause.

Also what is DST vs. DFF/DSF?

I tried 5.1 DFF file, playable but sounds distorted. Make sense, X3ii is only a stereo player, so only 2.0 format is playable properly.
DST is compressed DSD. You can read here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Audio_CD

Jun 5, 2015 at 9:31 AM Post #4,115 of 9,972

You're right! The DST codec seems to be the issue here.

So far the largest DSD ISO image I have is 2.55 GB, and it is confirmed playable.
The larger ISO images I have mostly DST, therefore are not supported.
Converted DST ISO image into DFF files are playable. So the solution for DST ISO images is to convert them into DSD DFF files or PCM files.

Thank you!

I tried 5.1 DFF file, playable but sounds distorted. Make sense, X3ii is only a stereo player, so only 2.0 format is playable properly.
DST is compressed DSD. You can read here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Audio_CD

glad I could help.
enjoy the incredible sound of them! I also have a few dsd files on my x3. simply amazing.

Jun 5, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #4,116 of 9,972
You just haven't volume matched properly. High gain low volume will sound exactly same as low gain higher volume - if the actual volume is correctly matched. It's a common mistake to make. We prefer the louder option (more dynamics etc).

Rule of thumb - use low gain unless you run out of head room and need more volume. By engaging high gain all you are potentially doing is also raising the noise floor. The SE425 don't need the extra power either (very sensitive earphones). I had a pair and loved them.

I tried low gain at 75-80 volume and it is just as loud, like you said the noise floor is lower. Thanks again!

I guess the only reason to use high gain would be with full size headphones that don't get loud enough on low gain.

Jun 5, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #4,117 of 9,972
Yep - that's it in a nutshell.

It doesn't stop people claiming high gain is better - but its amazing how the differences disappear when you put an SPL meter on it :)

Jun 5, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #4,118 of 9,972
  I think I need an advice regarding ear buds or phones for x3 II.
For some reason I'm not satisfied with shure se210. What
would be neutral buds, with balanced sound all round? Locally,
I could get Sennheiser or Bose. In fact, I'm not familiar and
reading reviews adds even more doubt.
I will mostly listen to 24 bit flacs, no EQ. I'd like to hear just
what is on the original tape, nothing boosted.
Best regards.

Before anything else. i would suggest you ensure that you are getting a proper fit.
Experiment with different tips and placement.

Jun 5, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #4,119 of 9,972
Shure SE425s are great with the X3K
L3000.gif

BTW, are we able to take DST and convert that into DFF/DSF?  I've never done any converting, but now that we know the X3K can't play DST is there anything we can do about it after the fact?

Has anyone had any skipping issues when playing 192/24 tracks?  I am wondering if maybe this is happening because I formatted my SD card to exFAT.  It is strange though because everything I put on the SD the first day plays perfectly, but anything I put on in the last 24 hours skips and goes on like a scratched record.  Is there a minimum free space we are supposed to leave?

I am reformatting into FAT32 right now, so I will let you guys know if this is the cause of my issues on certain DSD and 24/192 tracks.

Jun 5, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #4,121 of 9,972
I've used my v-moda XS with the X3ii. Sounds great. Serious bass and sparking treble. Sings even more when I have plugged into my CL Picollo.

Jun 5, 2015 at 9:11 PM Post #4,122 of 9,972
  Yep - that's it in a nutshell.

It doesn't stop people claiming high gain is better - but its amazing how the differences disappear when you put an SPL meter on it :)

Not everything is measurable especially using SPL meter. If we are depending on measurement, there will be very little to no different between Fiio X1 to Fiio X5ii, or even AK240.  Our ears, though often subjective, hears more than what common measurement tools can show. Depending too much on measurement tools is not being honest to our ears.

It is known in amplifier design, that amplifier behaves differently in different gain setting. For example, in different gain, the maximum bandwidth is different. Some amplifier not stable in low gain, and some stable in low gain. Theoretically gain does affect amplifier behavior. Amplifier is analog circuit, all parameters affecting the performance.

With Fiio X3ii, I observe very little different between low gain and high gain sound quality. Of course at same volume.
With my DX90, the difference is more audible. At low gain the detail is not as good as in high gain. My friend who loan my DX90 for a few days also told me the same, that he prefers high gain setting. At high gain the mids and bass are tighter, with better drive. Therefore for DX90 I keep the gain setting at high.
Please take note, it is not the same for all players, so it is not a common rules.

Jun 5, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #4,123 of 9,972
I'm not going to debate it with you Bram.  There are very few who volume match and then blind test to see if the difference their ears are "hearing" is actually being influenced with what their brain is actually adding (ie they know when the gain is switched, and they haven't volume matched properly).  IMO - from my own testing, and as rule of thumb - low gain first until you run out of usable volume.  If your opinion/experience is different - we'll agree to disagree 
wink.gif

Depending too much on measurement tools is not being honest to our ears.

Depending on our ears - without isolating other factors - is not being honest to what makes us human (IMO).

Jun 5, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #4,124 of 9,972
So I formatted my SD card to FAT32 from exFAT and my skipping/popping with certain 24/192 or DSD tracks has gone away.  It seems even though exFAT does work, FAT32 is definitely what you want to go with.  Yes I know it says this in the manual, but for some reason my SD card was not working as well with FAT32 when it came to transfer speeds.

Jun 5, 2015 at 11:22 PM Post #4,125 of 9,972
Before anything else. i would suggest you ensure that you are getting a proper fit.

Experiment with different tips and placement.

Done. Silicon small tips suit me the best. Spite years old, this se210 was not used.
After an album or two, all sounds better. Burn in or whatever.
I did a quick search on dunu and trinity iems. Seems I would not be able to locate
them in a normal way. More googling found etymotic hf5. Any good?
Thanks all for help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back