The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Jun 5, 2015 at 11:23 PM Post #4,126 of 9,972
Did you like the SE210s before the X3K??

Jun 5, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #4,127 of 9,972
Did you like the SE210s before the X3K??

I have cowon d2, which is at 16 ohms. SE210, with 26 ohms, was not to go.
I used yuin ok2, 16 ohms. So, cannot say.
My ear canal is not wide, like probably most of you, the rest, have. My-
self, have to use smaller tips. obviously. I will wait few more days to
say if I like them. Probably would not be thrilled, but, who might know.

Jun 6, 2015 at 1:40 AM Post #4,128 of 9,972
So I formatted my SD card to FAT32 from exFAT and my skipping/popping with certain 24/192 or DSD tracks has gone away.  It seems even though exFAT does work, FAT32 is definitely what you want to go with.  Yes I know it says this in the manual, but for some reason my SD card was not working as well with FAT32 when it came to transfer speeds.

Glad you've got it worked out. Been noted many times before. Format with the player as FAT32 and all else being in order the problems should disappear. ExFAT is an after thought on these players.

Jun 6, 2015 at 6:22 AM Post #4,129 of 9,972
  Shure SE425s are great with the X3K
L3000.gif

BTW, are we able to take DST and convert that into DFF/DSF?  I've never done any converting, but now that we know the X3K can't play DST is there anything we can do about it after the fact?

Has anyone had any skipping issues when playing 192/24 tracks?  I am wondering if maybe this is happening because I formatted my SD card to exFAT.  It is strange though because everything I put on the SD the first day plays perfectly, but anything I put on in the last 24 hours skips and goes on like a scratched record.  Is there a minimum free space we are supposed to leave?

I am reformatting into FAT32 right now, so I will let you guys know if this is the cause of my issues on certain DSD and 24/192 tracks.

It is possible to convert DST files to DSD. 
If you have an iso image, just use iso2dsd (http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=129913.0). this is a crossplattform java program. very easy to use and effective.
but if your files are DST dff/dsf you should use DST2DSD (http://www.nakata-jp.org/computer/freesoft/DST2DSD/index.html). this is windows only, but you can always run it in an emulator. The site is in japanese, but there is a download link on the bottom of the site.

hope that helped.

Jun 6, 2015 at 6:43 AM Post #4,130 of 9,972
Hi,

Sorry if this has been raised, but I have done a quick search and couldn't find anything.

I have just received my X3 and having loaded some flac music files, I find that the unit displays the file name rather than just the track title, this occurs when I am viewing the whole album or when a track is playing.
I have gone into System Settings and changed the "File name display" to Title, but this does not change anything.

Many thanks

Jun 6, 2015 at 7:38 AM Post #4,131 of 9,972

Not everything is measurable especially using SPL meter. If we are depending on measurement, there will be very little to no different between Fiio X1 to Fiio X5ii, or even AK240.  Our ears, though often subjective, hears more than what common measurement tools can show. Depending too much on measurement tools is not being honest to our ears.

I totally agree with you.
Of course many times our ears can fool us, our brain can get used to certain sound signatures, and then we see other sound signatures from the perspective of the one we got used to.
BUT, not everything can be measured, especially using SPL meter...
The truth is somewhere between our ears and the SPL meter.
Between personal subjectivity and cold, scientific objectivity.
For example I have seen inner fidelity's review on the vmoda m100 recently. And he did not like the measurements he got, he said, according to the measurements he should not like these headphones. But still it works somehow, and he enjoyed very much the time with these cans.
Believing only the measurements is the same mistake when someone believes only the completely subjective first impressions...
YMMV of course... But it might be pointless trying to convince each other about the "proper" way of enjoying sound. The point is the enjoyment. Whether it is completely subjective or believing to measurements makes you feel right.
I do believe though, only a certain aspect of the sound of a headphone can be measured. Not the best example, but think of love. You can measure the change of chemicals in the body. But does it mean, you know what love is?

Jun 6, 2015 at 8:01 AM Post #4,132 of 9,972
Well I CAN measure my love of music......

It's measured by the funds in my wallet. :tongue_smile:

Jun 6, 2015 at 8:01 AM Post #4,133 of 9,972
@bestula
Big difference between what you chaps are alluding to and what I was suggesting.

All I'm suggesting is that if you want to compare two items - for what is really audible to the individual, and you want to remove bias ....

• Volume match with an SPL meter
  • Compare blind

But this isn't the thread for discussion on it.  If you want to discuss it - create a thread over in sound science.  I'm sure it will be an enlightening topic 
wink.gif

Jun 6, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #4,134 of 9,972
@bestula

Big difference between what you chaps are alluding to and what I was suggesting.

All I'm suggesting is that if you want to compare two items - for what is really audible to the individual, and you want to remove bias ....

1. Volume match with an SPL meter
  2. Compare blind

But this isn't the thread for discussion on it.  If you want to discuss it - create a thread over in sound science.  I'm sure it will be an enlightening topic :wink:  

I say don't over-think/analyze...set it to what sounds best to YOU and enjoy the music.

Jun 6, 2015 at 9:01 AM Post #4,135 of 9,972
Well I CAN measure my love of music......

It's measured by the funds in my wallet.
tongue_smile.gif

cool.gif
Not only that but sadly, It's also based on what I read from our reviwers....

evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
TWIN

Jun 6, 2015 at 9:01 AM Post #4,136 of 9,972
@Brooko I agree, it is like having the debate that was going on earlier regarding MP3 vs. High Res...  Basically it just ends up diluting the thread for users trying to get help or share info on the X3K. 

Lets try and keep this thread on the rails guys!
atsmile.gif

It is possible to convert DST files to DSD. 
If you have an iso image, just use iso2dsd (http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=129913.0). this is a crossplattform java program. very easy to use and effective.
but if your files are DST dff/dsf you should use DST2DSD (http://www.nakata-jp.org/computer/freesoft/DST2DSD/index.html). this is windows only, but you can always run it in an emulator. The site is in japanese, but there is a download link on the bottom of the site.

hope that helped.

Excellent!  After converting to DFF (2.0) I can play Jazz at the Pawnshop, FINALLY!!

On another note, what transfer speeds do you all get when writing to the SD card while inserted into the X3K?

Jun 6, 2015 at 9:03 AM Post #4,137 of 9,972
On another note, what transfer speeds do you all get when writing to the SD card while inserted into the X3K?

Mines really slow.  If I'm doing a lot of files, I usually take the card out of the X3ii and use a USB adaptor.

Jun 6, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #4,139 of 9,972
I have been trying to use my Sandisk Mobile Micromate (SD to USB), but I kept running into corruption issues for some reason.  However I think it was due to a software I had on my PC that sped up transfer rates for USB called ASRock XFast USB that bypassed something about the USB hierarchy.  My 128GB Samsung EVO will be here Tuesday, so I'll try again then.  I just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one getting ~5MB/s transfer rates when going through the X3II.

Jun 6, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #4,140 of 9,972
Ok...
So no discussion of file resolution and no discussion of subjective/objective sound quality in this thread. Because these things have nothing to do with the X3ii gen. Understood.
(Who is making these rules by the way?)

@Brooko, I see your point with volume match and blind comparing. Apparently we are talking about 2 slightly different things...

With this technical approach one can be the most objective comparing 2 sound signatures or devices... And I admit, the result can be surprising.
This is the subjective play of the brain...

But judging a headphone by measurements is not right. One has to give a chance to their ears...
(You might agree with this last statement.) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back