The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Jun 6, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #4,141 of 9,972
   @Brooko, I see your point with volume match and blind comparing. Apparently we are talking about 2 slightly different things...

With this technical approach one can be the most objective comparing 2 sound signatures or devices... And I admit, the result can be surprising.
This is the subjective play of the brain...

But judging a headphone by measurements is not right. One has to give a chance to their ears...
(You might agree with this last statement.) :)

Oh - I agree with that.  The secret is listening - but make sure if comparing that you're not allowing outside influences (other than the actual sonics) influence your opinion.  It's sometimes a bit of a bother to set-up, but I believe the end result is worth it.

Jun 6, 2015 at 9:30 AM Post #4,142 of 9,972

Oh - I agree with that.  The secret is listening - but make sure if comparing that you're not allowing outside influences (other than the actual sonics) influence your opinion.  It's sometimes a bit of a bother to set-up, but I believe the end result is worth it.

Alrighty... So we agree. :)

Jun 6, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #4,144 of 9,972
After skimming through this anyone have a preference between this and the hidizs ap100? being that they have the same DACs I looking for the warmer one.

As no one has answered your question so far I will have ago.

From what I have read the AP100 would be a step up as it has a much stronger amp but some people complain of some hiss on sensitive IEM's.

The Ap100 has a unique up sample Src button which does improve the sound.

Twister has reviewed both and gives the AP100 a higher rating over both X3ii and the old X5.

Haku reckons the new X5ii is a little better than the AP100.

I have the AP100 and am happy with it.(Having had the X1, 3 + 5 + DX50/90)

Jun 6, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #4,145 of 9,972
  To be able to play DSD, you need to have analogue volume control, Digital means math calculations done, and with 1 bit samples it is impossible.

The Cirrus Logic CS4398 partially converts the DSD signal into multi-bit, which allows them to incorporate digital volume control into their DSD conversion pathway. This can be turned off to produce 'pure' DSD conversion for those with a religious aversion to multi-bit processing. See page 25 of the data sheet.

Jun 6, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #4,146 of 9,972
A little late to the party, but I have been following this thread since Beta.  

Had the X3ii for about a week now. 
No regrets.. Absolutely love this little player!!!
beyersmile.png

Thank you to the Hi-Fi community for your part in creating such a wonderful device and all the excellent info!!

Thanks Fiio for another Outstanding product! And listening to the Hi-Fi community!!

beerchug.gif

Jun 6, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #4,147 of 9,972
As no one has answered your question so far I will have ago.

From what I have read the AP100 would be a step up as it has a much stronger amp but some people complain of some hiss on sensitive IEM's.

The Ap100 has a unique up sample Src button which does improve the sound.

Twister has reviewed both and gives the AP100 a higher rating over both X3ii and the old X5.

Haku reckons the new X5ii is a little better than the AP100.

I have the AP100 and am happy with it.(Having had the X1, 3 + 5 + DX50/90)

Thanks for the answer! All I know is I do want one of these DAPs with the DAC as I do like the sound of it. I have the X5 and X3 and DX90 but still want one of aforementioned DAPs. So I do not derail this I will ask some questions in ap100 thread.

Jun 6, 2015 at 11:17 PM Post #4,148 of 9,972
So. Question. I had an e17 and didn't like the sound signature at all. I have talked to a friend whose ear I trust and he loves his fiio x1. I compared the e17 to the jds labs C5 and preferred the C5. Even when the fiio was acting as a DAC from MacBook with lossless files I preferred the 7th ipod classic with the c5 over the fiio which does leave some to be desired. This has made me hesitate to even have a shred of interest in any fiio DAP or amp, however, now I'm curious. So, the question is regarding the fiio sound signature. Is the fiio e17 sound signature similar to their DAP's?

Jun 7, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #4,150 of 9,972
Why do people buy this to play 320 Kbps MP3s?  I feel like there are much better options out there specifically for that type of format.

Jun 7, 2015 at 9:21 AM Post #4,151 of 9,972
Why do people buy this to play 320 Kbps MP3s?  I feel like there are much better options out there specifically for that type of format.

Because the hardware can bring out the best in any file format.

Jun 7, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #4,152 of 9,972

Because there isn't much of a difference between 320 and FLAC and it saves a ton of space

Any news on the 5800 song limit? It's the only real issue I have with the player. I actually had to hide some folder to see others. This is ridicules.

Nope nothing yet :frowning2:

Jun 7, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #4,153 of 9,972

Because there isn't much of a difference between 320 and FLAC and it saves a ton of space

I agree, if you are using mediocre hardware and headphones/speakers.  Also I am talking about 24/192 and DSD/DFF vs. MP3...

Jun 7, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #4,154 of 9,972

I agree, if you are using mediocre hardware and headphones/speakers.  Also I am talking about 24/192 and DSD/DFF vs. MP3...

Flac and DSD/DFF take up a lot of space.  Folks can fit way more 320 MP3's on a 128 gig card than the other formats and still benefit from the sound quality of the device.  I use 320 MP3's and have over 250 artist and 1400 albums on my 128 gig card and you can't get close to that with Flac/DSD/DFF.  I personally can't hear the differences, but some can and that's fine.  People are allowed to use their device however they like and I personally don't know of to many other players that would be better options for MP3's than FiiO at their price point.  I consider these devices as portable and therefore want to use it in that capacity.  I have some Flac, but I keep it on my PC at home because it just takes up way to much space.  Some have found ways around the storage limits of these devices, but I don't want to have to carry around a external HD in my stack just so I can have my better quality music with me  when I can't tell the difference.  I've used other DAP's (Sansa), but they didn't satisfy what I wanted from a DAP and so that's how I ended up here and owning a FiiO.  I'm going to buy another FiiO for use with MP3's pretty soon.  I just can't decide if I want an X3II or the X5II when it comes out, but I will definitely be getting another FiiO.

Jun 7, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #4,155 of 9,972
I don't need you to explain file size differences and I never told anyone to use the X3K or not to use it...

I simply asked if there aren't more cost effective DAPs out there for listening to MP3s.  Most people getting this DAP are interested in 192/24 and DSD, that is ALL I was saying, plus I was asking a question.  FiiO invested a lot of their R&D into high res audio formats along with the actual hardware installed. 

If the X3K has superior audio quality and shaping with MP3s than other DAPs, then that would be all I needed to hear.  I was curious why users would buy a DAP aimed at the high res market just to play MP3s.  Remind me not to ask anything other questions about high res vs. MP3, I didn't realize how touchy you all were about the subject.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back