The egg salad sandwich
Mar 7, 2012 at 8:00 AM Post #46 of 63

Quote:
^ Not only that but egg yolks are an emulsifier, which means that they can actually dissolve the plaque/triglycerides in your arteries which is the negative result of ingesting too much "bad" cholesterol.

One of the most nutritious foods one can eat is a raw free-range organic egg. Raw eggs gross me out, but I do like to keep the yolk runny when I fry/poach/soft-boil them.

Back when i did heavy weight training I used to drink 5-15 raw eggs per day a la Rocky. Only later did I found out that the body only can absorb 50% of the protein found in egg in their raw form. When the egg is cooked you can absorb over 90% of the proteins..
Once I found out the trick to swallowing egg is to put a tablespoon of yam into my mouth and and a strong clinch of my nose it became pretty easy swallowing eggs without your stomach going on a rollercoaster.
regular_smile .gif
 But what a waste of food!

Mar 7, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #47 of 63
That's interesting regarding the absorption of protein. I know that my favorite nutritional guru Dr. Mercola starts the day with three raw organic free-range eggs, according to him they need to be ingested raw for maximizing their nutrients and enzymes. I just looked him up and he is now advocating separating the egg, cooking the whites and eating the yolks raw in one his more recent articles on the subject:

"Dr. Mercola recommends separating the egg yolks from the whites, eat the yolk raw and cook the whites. He explains that if you eat the whole egg raw or just raw egg white, you may not get enough biotin (vitamin B7), which is needed to form fatty acids and glucose for the production of energy in your body. Biotin also helps metabolize carbohydrates, fats and proteins. Egg yolks contain biotin but egg whites also contain a protein that blocks the absorption of biotin, so it’s not a good idea to eat the whole egg raw."

http://www.doctormercola.com/food-health/cracking-the-unhealthy-egg-myth/

Mar 7, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #50 of 63
Mar 7, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #52 of 63
^ I don't. My doctor says it must be genetic because my good cholesterol is above average and the bad is below average. I really don't eat that much of egg salad sandwiches. Perhaps 2 a month at the most. I just enjoy looking at them as well because I ate quite a bit of those sandwiches when I was a kid. Mom's lunch bag for me to take to school, yah know.

Mar 7, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #53 of 63
Mar 7, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #54 of 63
Mar 7, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #55 of 63
My grandmother began eating one fried egg and fried bacon every morning since my grandfather died. She's in great health. I can never tell if she's serious when she admonishes me after I tell her I eat Greek yogurt with blueberries for breakfast.

Mar 8, 2012 at 9:39 AM Post #56 of 63

Quote:
My grandmother began eating one fried egg and fried bacon every morning since my grandfather died. She's in great health. I can never tell if she's serious when she admonishes me after I tell her I eat Greek yogurt with blueberries for breakfast.

You need more protein in that meal.
Go for a hardboiled egg with some smoked caviar. I don't know if that exists in the states though.

Mar 8, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #58 of 63
In class all of itself is herring.
I love salted herring with chopped onions.
It supposedly lowers your cholesterol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back