The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New Firmware, 2.5.1 . . .
Apr 18, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #166 of 3,155
  This thing is fantastic. Playing it with HD600 right now. Drives it easy, great soundstage, detail, presence. Could be game over for me and DAPs for the forseeable :)

Yeah I have that and told myself the same until until I saw this: 
biggrin.gif

Than I felt like doing this:

Requires a lot of restraint.
devil_face.gif

Apr 18, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #168 of 3,155
I got my DX90 yesterday also. Everything seems to be working fine. This is my first standalone DAP. I have been using the Galaxy Note 2 with the neutron player until now. I am hearing lot's of detail in the music, that I never heard before. I am also looking for headphones/iems in the up to $100 range that will pair nicely with the DX90. Any recommendations? Thanks.

Apr 18, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #169 of 3,155

Quote:
  I appreciate that it's early days, but I find it peculiar that everyone is comparing the DX90 to the DX50, whilst almost no one has even mentioned the DX100 in the equation.

Anyone remember the DX100?

It's that brilliant DAP that is made by iBasso and is based upon a Sabre DAC - desktop version, maybe, but still the same fundamental DAC technology.

dx90 is excellent when pairing with earphone that requires less energy. it is more musical and euphonic. its more comfortable to listen to dx90 for a long duration 
dx100 gives more details and has deeper bass. To me, dx100 is better when paired with CMs as it gives a better soundstage and more powerful expression
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 18, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #170 of 3,155
  dx90 is excellent when pairing with earphone that requires less energy. it is more musical and euphonic. its more comfortable to listen to dx90 for a long duration 
dx100 gives more details and has deeper bass. To me, dx100 is better when paired with CMs as it gives a better soundstage and more powerful expression
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for your feedback - may I ask what headphones or IEMS/CIEMs you were using to come to this conclusion?

Cheers.

Apr 18, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #173 of 3,155
Sorensiim, have you tried dx90 with K10? How is the pairing?

Very, very enjoyable. Soooo much detail and clarity, yet so musical that I can't keep my feet from tapping. The K10 sounds spectacular with the PB2 amp but I won't be using that on the go anymore, K10 straight from the DX90 nothing short of GREAT.

Apr 18, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #174 of 3,155

Thanks for your feedback - may I ask what headphones or IEMS/CIEMs you were using to come to this conclusion?

Cheers.

i currently have a (tf10+1 ba unit) cm and Q701. i have also tested them out with jh13 pro demo, mh334 demo, stage/ve  4 demo, ve 6 demo

edit: on a side note i have done some modification to my dx100 phone out so it may be a little bit unfair 
tongue.gif

Apr 18, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #176 of 3,155
55 hours on my DX90, far too few of them involving me, about 53 of them have been looping the burn-in album through the burn-in album to clock some hours.

Those Sabre DACs are awesome. They really give you E V E R Y T H I N G. All the tiny details, all the spatial clues. This means that live albums only sound "large" if they're in a large venue. Example: Muse - Live At Rome's Olympic Stadium clearly sounds larger than Adele - Live At Royal Albert Hall. Black Background? PITCH BLACK - if the recording is dead quiet. This is bad news for bad recordings and revealing headphones, but feed it quality material and the DX90 delivers. Everything sounds so very real - we're in DX100 territory here, but at half the price and half the size. 

Apr 18, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #177 of 3,155
I am very tempted by this dap. The only thing putting me off is if this volume bug makes a reappearance. Has it definitely gone? I figure i can use my phone for my podcasts and audiobooks and just use this for music. 

Apr 18, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #178 of 3,155
Apr 18, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #179 of 3,155
  I am very tempted by this dap. The only thing putting me off is if this volume bug makes a reappearance. Has it definitely gone? I figure i can use my phone for my podcasts and audiobooks and just use this for music. 

So far so good but mind you it's not been 24 hours yet however I believe I would have gotten it by now. I am using the exact same library than the DX50 and performing the same operations from the HO that is so I think it's gone. 
gs1000.gif

55 hours on my DX90, far too few of them involving me, about 53 of them have been looping the burn-in album through the burn-in album to clock some hours.

Those Sabre DACs are awesome. They really give you E V E R Y T H I N G. All the tiny details, all the spatial clues. This means that live albums only sound "large" if they're in a large venue. Example: Muse - Live At Rome's Olympic Stadium clearly sounds larger than Adele - Live At Royal Albert Hall. Black Background? PITCH BLACK - if the recording is dead quiet. This is bad news for bad recordings and revealing headphones, but feed it quality material and the DX90 delivers. Everything sounds so very real - we're in DX100 territory here, but at half the price and half the size. 

I find acapellas (including the pauses they make) excellent in gaging the background blackness and with the ones I have, it's DARK, pitch BLACK. When closing my eyes and listening, it's like I am in an empty room with the singer showing off his/her voice.

Apr 18, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #180 of 3,155

Users who are viewing this thread

Back