The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New Firmware, 2.5.1 . . .
Apr 18, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #182 of 3,155
I just bought one on Amazon for $430 including shipping. Now I do not have to wait until May 7th. I don't know how many the seller has in stock but here is the link:
http://amzn.to/1nuuZ1G

Apr 18, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #183 of 3,155
  I just bought one on Amazon for $430 including shipping. Now I do not have to wait until May 7th. I don't know how many the seller has in stock but here is the link:
http://amzn.to/1nuuZ1G

Did you notice that Amazon are stating that the list price is $599.95?

Lying b@$t@rds!
angry_face.gif

Apr 18, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #185 of 3,155
  musicheaven, if you have "The Changing Lights" by Stacey Kent, have a listen on the DX90. If you don't have it, I'd recommend it. Beautiful album.

With the DX90, Stacey's voice shines through so well, absolutely unforced and gentle. Dreamy stuff:)

I checked it out, beautiful Jazz, great voice. Talking about Jazz and hi-res, here are free samples going as high as 24/384.

The samples are from designwsound.com. The only thing you need to do is to register for free, they'll give you the downloadable links and it's relatively quick. Amazing couple of samples at different sample frequencies (you can test them on the DX90).

Audiophile Jazz Prologue – Part 03 free samples in high resolution format. We picked Track 06 – “Lush Life” because it is an unique female vocal solo introduction, then follow with acoustic guitar / double bass arrangement. The master files* are either hires PCM wav files or DSD (DIFF) file.  
PCM Wordlength: 24Bit
Sample Rate: 96kHz (200.5MB) /192kHz (300.7MB)
DXD: 384kHz (601.4MB)
DSD**: 1Bit/2.82Mhz (184.2MB)

Link: http://designwsound.com/dwsblog/recordings/audiophile-jazz-prologue-3-free-hi-res-samples/

Anyone wanting to samples different frequency the DX90 supports can use the above. Enjoy! 
wink_face.gif

Apr 18, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #186 of 3,155
Loving it with W4r very refined

+1 with W40s.

Performing well from raw 320 mp3s, Flacs, to hi-res Krauss and Plant. Even Rush albums that I've previously found thin are sounding nice. Especially on high-gain setting, not sure if it is actually making a difference?

Been trawling round shops with DX90 for some headphone demos today. Found four I liked with the iBasso. The Sennheiser momentum over-ear, Grado 325s, Kef M500 and B&W P7. Also Musical Fidelity MF100 very nice for only £120. Found P3, P5s, and Momentum on-ears a little too soft for my taste wanting an exciting sound.

Any experience of my chosen ones, especially with DX90 appreciated as can't decide. The grado a bit heavier but they are for home listening and sound escaping is not a massive problem.

Apr 18, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #187 of 3,155
I agree with many of the impressions here. The DX90 has impressive detail and soundstage, but I find the X5 reproduces music a little more authentically and powers the low end better than the DX90.

I will be burning in the DX90 for the next 48hours straight and will re-evaluate.

A more detailed description of my impressions are located here as well as some other X5 vs DX90 comparisons. Sorry for the link I just did not want to spam my ramblings everywhere and just found this thread. Still getting use to the forum.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/708989/fiio-x5-vs-ibasso-dx90/15

Apr 18, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #188 of 3,155
Question regarding the amp in the DX90 - it is supposed to be better and more powerful - I am looking at specs for the DX50 and DX100 and have a noob question...

First the numbers

Model          low gain          mid gain          high gain

DX50           1.2Vrms         1.7Vrms           3.1Vrms

DX100         2.0Vrms         2.8Vrms           5.0Vrms

DX90           1.3Vrms         2.0Vrms          2.8Vrms

It doesn't look like the 90 has much more power than the 50 - the 50 even has more output power at high gain than the 90. The 100 whips all of them.

So how can a 90 on high gain power a big headphone better than a 50?

**Boy my mind goes through gyrations knowing my DAP is sitting at home and I can't get to it..
tongue.gif

Apr 18, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #189 of 3,155
Does the DX90 do DSD64? I just loaded a DIFF file along with other HiRes sampler songs and the DX90 is failing to read it, but sees all the others. Bummer, I was hoping to see what all the fuss was.

Apr 18, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #190 of 3,155
  I agree with many of the impressions here. The DX90 has impressive detail and soundstage, but I find the X5 reproduces music a little more authentically and powers the low end better than the DX90.

I will be burning in the DX90 for the next 48hours straight and will re-evaluate.

A more detailed description of my impressions are located here as well as some other X5 vs DX90 comparisons. Sorry for the link I just did not want to spam my ramblings everywhere and just found this thread. Still getting use to the forum.

We all hear things differently and I guess this is shaped by what we have heard in the past and how much live music we have heard and in different venues. I agree with the first part of your statement in the first sentence but not the second. Great to have some good choices to suite our  individuality of perceptions. 

Apr 18, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #191 of 3,155
Dark Knight Rising in 24/192 with Signature Pro is very impressive. I do however get a few clicks every time it changes track. This does not happen with 24/96. Gapless enabled.

Apr 18, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #192 of 3,155

You should keep burning them in as your X5 has had a head start on that. I would say try to hit 100 before you make final conclusions.

What you're describing is the typical critic of the Sabre sound. Some people find it to sound "fake" and love the PCM sound from TI and say that's more natural soudning. I can sort of see where this is coming from, but I know I'm more a Sabre guy and like the way it presents music. The PCM certainly has its charm too, I like to think of it as more "organic" or "vinyl" like, which is cool when I'm in the mood.

I think this is why owning both the X5 and DX90 makes so much sense. They're actually quite different.

Apr 18, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #194 of 3,155
  Sorry for the link I just did not want to spam my ramblings everywhere and just found this thread. Still getting use to the forum.

Thanks for being considerate - you did the 'right' thing by not repeat-posting in several different threads
beerchug.gif

Your remarks about the X5 driving the low end a little better don't particularly surprise me, but, nonetheless, I will be interested to find out if your opinion on that changes as the DX90 reaches a few hundred hours of usage.

Apr 18, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #195 of 3,155
X5 does retain some left over bass bloom from the "Fiio house sound" (not a lot, but just ever so slightly, nothing like any of the other Fiio products)

I'm not sure if this means the low end is "better".

The DX90 has faster more precise bass while the X5 has longer decay and more bloom down there but sounds more sluggish to me.

I find the DX90 to have the more neutral presentation. (So far... after about 48 hours in.... to be continued), but the X5 still has better bass pitch definition. I think that's just the strength of PCM over Sabre, while the Sabre is faster the more tight down there the PCM sounds more textured.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back