The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New Firmware, 2.5.1 . . .
Apr 18, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #196 of 3,155

I think this is why owning both the X5 and DX90 makes so much sense. They're actually quite different.

I was actually most surprised by this fact. I did not expect that big of a difference in sound. Glad to have options, and what great options to have
beyersmile.png

Apr 18, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #197 of 3,155

I find acapellas (including the pauses they make) excellent in gaging the background blackness and with the ones I have, it's DARK, pitch BLACK. When closing my eyes and listening, it's like I am in an empty room with the singer showing off his/her voice.

If you can come by Howard Shore's soundtrack to The Hobbit, go put on "Misty Mountains".

You're welcome.

Apr 18, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #199 of 3,155

I think this is why owning both the X5 and DX90 makes so much sense. They're actually quite different.

I've never been one for owning a lot of different headphones or amps. I'd much rather find The One that just gets it all right. With headphones, that's pretty darn costly (I'm rocking the Noble K10) but let's hope that the quite fairly priced DX90 could be The One DAP. The speed and resolution of the Sabre DACs combined with the superb clarity and raw power of the PB2 makes for one hell of a rig. Listening to Tool has me air-drumming like a lunatic, much to my wife's amusement.

Apr 18, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #200 of 3,155
  I've never been one for owning a lot of different headphones or amps. I'd much rather find The One that just gets it all right. With headphones, that's pretty darn costly (I'm rocking the Noble K10) but let's hope that the quite fairly priced DX90 could be The One DAP. The speed and resolution of the Sabre DACs combined with the superb clarity and raw power of the PB2 makes for one hell of a rig. Listening to Tool has me air-drumming like a lunatic, much to my wife's amusement.

Video of her watching or you are just making this up. . .  .. lol. . . this is an official video request. 

Apr 18, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #201 of 3,155
  Video of her watching or you are just making this up. . .  .. lol. . . this is an official video request. 

She just tapped me on the shoulder and told me I was sorta ruining The Tudors for her. Apparantly a 220 pound gorilla wildly flailing its arms next to you on the couch is sorta distracting. Silly women.

Apr 18, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #202 of 3,155
Hey guys I have two questions before I seriously start considering it, I hope some of you can answer them:

Can this be used as a USB dac and if so how is it powered, by USB or external charger?

And second question: can this be used as a dac/amp in conjunction with an iPhone so that the iPhone is the source for files and the DX decodes and amplifies them?

Thanks

Apr 18, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #203 of 3,155
Usb dac functionallity is not yet implemented so nobody knows how it will work but probably will be powerede from the computer. No iDevice support

Apr 18, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #204 of 3,155
  She just tapped me on the shoulder and told me I was sorta ruining The Tudors for her. Apparantly a 220 pound gorilla wildly flailing its arms next to you on the couch is sorta distracting. Silly women.

She must get through a ton of bananas, trying to pacify you in the evenings
wink_face.gif

Note: what follows is just my musings - I'm not being completely serious:

The DX90 has faster more precise bass while the X5 has longer decay and more bloom down there but sounds more sluggish to me.

I find the DX90 to have the more neutral presentation. (So far... after about 48 hours in.... to be continued), but the X5 still has better bass pitch definition. I think that's just the strength of PCM over Sabre, while the Sabre is faster the more tight down there the PCM sounds more textured.

For those of you who have been following the CustomArt Harmony CIEM, it has quite an innovative approach to transducing the bass frequencies. It'd be really cool to see someone experiment with DAC chips so as to combine the different characteristics of reproduction of each of them, simultaneously
biggrin.gif

Apr 18, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #205 of 3,155
I was actually most surprised by this fact. I did not expect that big of a difference in sound. Glad to have options, and what great options to have:beyersmile:

I wondered if I had been silly, but so pleased now that I bought BOTH X5 and DX90 with the money I had saved for ZX1 :)

Apr 18, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #206 of 3,155
Usb dac functionallity is not yet implemented so nobody knows how it will work but probably will be powerede from the computer. No iDevice support

Thanks!

Apr 18, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #207 of 3,155
I can't believe how nice my SE535 sound with the DX90, it's like it just got a new lease on life. That's what I initially expected with the DX50 but never happened. I can only imagine how the SE846 would sound with it. :)

Apr 18, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #208 of 3,155
  I just bought one on Amazon for $430 including shipping. Now I do not have to wait until May 7th. I don't know how many the seller has in stock but here is the link:
http://amzn.to/1nuuZ1G

Three hours later and my order already is listed as "shipped" with a tracking number from USPS. And  I only used standard shipping which is supposed to be 3-5 business days. So I guess this seller really does have them in stock.

Better than waiting until May, and I believe it cost me less than it would have including shipping from iBasso.

PS: the seller has good feedback (4.9 stars out of 5) on Amazon with 1693 ratings and they offer a lot of headphone stuff including Fiio, iBasso, Astell and Kern, Sennheiser, etc. so they seem like a legitimate seller.

Apr 18, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #209 of 3,155

Three hours later and my order already is listed as "shipped" with a tracking number from USPS. And  I only used standard shipping which is supposed to be 3-5 business days. So I guess this seller really does have them in stock.

Better than waiting until May, and I believe it cost me less than it would have including shipping from iBasso.

PS: the seller has good feedback (4.9 stars out of 5) on Amazon with 1693 ratings and they offer a lot of headphone stuff including Fiio, iBasso, Astell and Kern, Sennheiser, etc. so they seem like a legitimate seller.

Why are they listed as if they had been 600$ in the past? Now i start distrusting amazon

Apr 18, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #210 of 3,155

Do you use the stock pb2?

Edit: I remember that the opamps are rollable here, but just had a second look on it and see that it already comes with different ones, so I guess there is no stock :)
This amp looks interesting, so how is it looking from the inside/what are u using? Need to get into opamps and their characteristics, any link u can provide?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back