The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New Firmware, 2.5.1 . . .
Apr 17, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #136 of 3,155
I am going to say much more later once I have had a chance to let the player burn in however, the very first impression, It's like you were wearing out of focus glasses and then all of a sudden those spectacles are on right on focus, a perfect 20/20. Extended bass like I never heard before, background is completely dark like an empty canvas, the vocals are crisp and clear like the singer is close to you, I can even hear her grasping for air before belching the next note (like I am looking at her vocal chords while she does). This kind of resolution is just unbelievable. That's going to be hard to beat, it's truly an improvement. I do like the DX50 when amped though, for some reason my combo has started opening up last week ad I have enjoyed the combination with all of my headphones and iems ever since. I find the DX90 to be somewhat more neutral (compared to DX50 and not to other players), the DX50 is more musical, I love its signature, they both offer a different aspect of musical imagery. Like Jamato mentioned above, they both have their own personality and are truly enjoyable.

Apr 17, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #137 of 3,155
I'll post more about the sound when I have time and it's run in but it's just great. Everything in it's right place and informative. UI is perhaps a bit less responsive than expected but a non-issue for me. Nice size and intuitive to use. Keeper
smile.gif
. Personally, I clearly prefer it to the X5 i heard.

Apr 17, 2014 at 8:46 PM Post #139 of 3,155
According to iBasso the DX90 should be burned in for 400 hours, which is very long! that's like half a month of continuous playback. 

Apr 17, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #140 of 3,155
400 hours... seriously? >.>. I guess it'll give incentive for people to buy "used" dx90s over buying new. 

Apr 17, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #141 of 3,155
I just tried to throw some 320kb aac files (I have over 1500 cd's ripped in that format over the last 10 years or so) at the DX90 and they never sounded so good :)

Apr 18, 2014 at 3:08 AM Post #145 of 3,155
I am going to say much more later once I have had a chance to let the player burn in however, the very first impression, It's like you were wearing out of focus glasses and then all of a sudden those spectacles are on right on focus, a perfect 20/20. Extended bass like I never heard before, background is completely dark like an empty canvas, the vocals are crisp and clear like the singer is close to you, I can even hear her grasping for air before belching the next note (like I am looking at her vocal chords while she does). This kind of resolution is just unbelievable. That's going to be hard to beat, it's truly an improvement. I do like the DX50 when amped though, for some reason my combo has started opening up last week ad I have enjoyed the combination with all of my headphones and iems ever since. I find the DX90 to be somewhat more neutral (compared to DX50 and not to other players), the DX50 is more musical, I love its signature, they both offer a different aspect of musical imagery. Like Jamato mentioned above, they both have their own personality and are truly enjoyable.

Hmm - this makes me ponder. I am not sure I would put detail/imagery above musicality. If I were to buy the dx90 I wouldn't keep the dX50.

NP - TPsychoanorexia through my very musical dx50

Apr 18, 2014 at 3:11 AM Post #146 of 3,155
Hi M-13!
Eager for more details about dx90 with Focal Spirit Pro... Like separation, layering, details and especially bass: as I remember it was written that the FS Pro bass is flatter or lighter than FS Classic. Is it kick hard enough when music call for it?
Cheers!

Apr 18, 2014 at 5:46 AM Post #147 of 3,155
I really enjoy the DX50 into my PB2 and Leckerton. Especially with the PB2, it sounds amazing now with the Muses01 OPamps. I am not going to be selling my Amps.

I am becoming very tempted to jump for the Dx90. The reviews are obviously very positive.

So my question is : leaving aside the Amp of the DX90 which I won't be using, is the DAC of the DX90 worth the upgrade from the DX50? How much better is it really?

The DX50/PB2 stack is very good, but replacing the DX50 with the DX90 takes the PB2 to another level. The DAC(s) in the DX90 are clearly superior to the one in the DX50. Not that the 50 is bad by any means, the 90 is just better. Everything is so crisp and clear!

Apr 18, 2014 at 6:05 AM Post #148 of 3,155
The DX50/PB2 stack is very good, but replacing the DX50 with the DX90 takes the PB2 to another level. The DAC(s) in the DX90 are clearly superior to the one in the DX50. Not that the 50 is bad by any means, the 90 is just better. Everything is so crisp and clear!

I agree I checked their papers and presentation, I can tell you that everything those guys have done with HyperStream is just pure genius and typical of an optimizing research shop with an open mind. It's outstanding that they came up so quick with an improved Sigma-Delta dac with so much refinements. Now you understand my excitement about some Sabre dac players. We just needed to make sure they properly implemented it. :beerchug:

Apr 18, 2014 at 6:18 AM Post #149 of 3,155
musicheaven, if you have "The Changing Lights" by Stacey Kent, have a listen on the DX90. If you don't have it, I'd recommend it. Beautiful album.

With the DX90, Stacey's voice shines through so well, absolutely unforced and gentle. Dreamy stuff:)

Apr 18, 2014 at 6:25 AM Post #150 of 3,155
Hmm - this makes me ponder. I am not sure I would put detail/imagery above musicality. If I were to buy the dx90 I wouldn't keep the dX50.

NP - TPsychoanorexia through my very musical dx50

There is something to say about detail/imagery versus musicality. It's like watching a movie with standard stereo sound and then you engage Dolby Digital Plus 7.1 channels surround sound, you tell yourself wow now I am in the movie instead of watching the movie. But then once in a while you like watching this old movie, taking a back seat with simple stereo sound bringing melancholic feelings of a gone era. :wink:

musicheaven, if you have "The Changing Lights" by Stacey Kent, have a listen on the DX90. If you don't have it, I'd recommend it. Beautiful album.

With the DX90, Stacey's voice shines through so well, absolutely unforced and gentle. Dreamy stuff:)

Thanks sure will check it out! :beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back