The DIY'rs Cookbook
Apr 23, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #407 of 1,974
Ooh the yggyrag, that will be a popular station!! Plus Glenn can still rum the Woo amp se for some added flavor.
---

Just bringing the Stax rig. Woo is staying home, doesn't want to get beat up by the big bully Rok after school.

Apr 23, 2016 at 10:45 PM Post #408 of 1,974
Just bringing the Stax rig. Woo is staying home, doesn't want to get beat up by the big bully Rok after school.

It's probably more like it doesn't like the competition for who makes the most heat… 
atsmile.gif

JJ

Apr 24, 2016 at 6:25 AM Post #409 of 1,974
Hi gents,
Good news on the Soldering front inside the OPPO. I could only do the small transformer wires and large toroidal leads with the silver solder I have. My home iron isn't suitable for fine work and my eyes are starting to go....

IPA cleaned the female crimps rub Down 2000 grit inside and soldered the wires on rather than the mechanical grip.
A pain to do as after soldering.. IPA again to get the flux off and some Deoxit. . 14 power leads later.

A light rub of 2000 grit on the board male pins
Make sure they are flat and smooth...

Then a quick electrocution tripping the fuse board and making me see stars...
board was live when I put the iron on...idiot..didn't turn it off again...
Oh soldered the earth lead and crimp washer. Tinned the whole thing to get more surface area touching it..

I am a happy bunny.. more detail off this extra work. Even though it had been deoxited 2 weeks ago. Not a subtle increase either.

The CILCLEAR better come this week, was dispatched Friday now it's in stock.

Nice to see all these efforts work.. Silclear the last piece of the experiment ... But hard soldering all connections would solve this. I am sure most high end gear has this unless modular.

If I did hard solder I'd have to totally remove all boards as you would get dry joints under the pins...

Bigger and more detailed sound.. bloody lovely...
A smaller WW chroma AB even with the dirt on the gold plating didn't seem to add much post intona.
The INTONA is staying with The IFI IPURIFIER 2.

I had an old Oppo Jaguar sat in a garage..
This is now race tuned to what I had before just magic..

So I am now positive that as people find the best cables, amps and DAC'S there is plenty potential locked up inside because of its never touched,even bought in parts. Nothing is perfect unless hard soldered but you can get to the point were it sounds like it is....

Thanks guys for pushing me to try new things and experiment.
CILCLEAR and maybe bundle the cables and shield them.. Do some of the other Coris OPPO heat and RFI shields...

I am so happy hehe hehe.....

I won't go into details.... but a home made Ultrasonicesque IPA bath in a glass dish got all the dirt off the screw threads... All fun...

Cheers
Dave

Apr 26, 2016 at 4:37 AM Post #412 of 1,974
Thanks colt,I thought as the other poster said he put copper on IC'S.
Blocking RFI you would drain that to earth via a cable. EMI is a bit like squishing the magnetic wave at the barrier and drain. (Sorry for the simplistic answer it's all I know)
So the paper must be a RFI shield?
Correct me if I am wrong....I know little..
You might kill 2 birds with one stone..
The copper foil cut and placed on top of IC's but the non sticky side down.
Then use TIM thermal interface material.The silver stuff for computer heatsinks.
Use the copper as a heat sink and RFI shield combined...Just a thought..

Apr 26, 2016 at 6:11 AM Post #413 of 1,974
  Some experiments I did with ERS paper, with wonderful results:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/783686/schiit-bifrost-4490-impressions/195#post_12533130

That sounds like an interesting bit of tweaking.

RF is weird, in a lot of ways.
But it seems to me that since the chips are inside a case that it might be more of the 'stray' RF from the rest of the circuit inside the case rather than from 'external' sources as being the culprit.

I need to read your full report to see if any of the benefits resemble other tweaks I've tried.

Cool stuff…

JJ

Apr 26, 2016 at 6:15 AM Post #414 of 1,974
Thanks colt,I thought as the other poster said he put copper on IC'S.
Blocking RFI you would drain that to earth via a cable. EMI is a bit like squishing the magnetic wave at the barrier and drain. (Sorry for the simplistic answer it's all I know)
So the paper must be a RFI shield?
Correct me if I am wrong....I know little..
You might kill 2 birds with one stone..
The copper foil cut and placed on top of IC's but the non sticky side down.
Then use TIM thermal interface material.The silver stuff for computer heatsinks.
Use the copper as a heat sink and RFI shield combined...Just a thought..

The only caution I'd add to your 'sandwich' would be to NOT let the silver thermal paste ooze out and short out the pins beneath.
That would be bad…

JJ
atsmile.gif

Apr 26, 2016 at 6:18 AM Post #415 of 1,974
Just an initial report...just got the Silclear silver... Headphone pins 3 pin IEC uk 3 pin plug... positive so far no negatives. Going for whole chain and power. Also all internal connections this weekend.. Wish me luck...

Apr 26, 2016 at 6:21 AM Post #416 of 1,974
It is messy stuff both TIM sand the Mapleshade Cilclear. Very nervous about creating shorts.So no more than 3/4 down a pin...very thin smear.i predope it first with a tiny amount...

Cheers JJ
Keep smiling brother...

Dave

Apr 26, 2016 at 6:32 AM Post #417 of 1,974
Also consider using the ever so smallest amount of silclear on the fuse to the fuse holder where they make contact.
And talk about the possibility of a short…
blink.gif

Tread carefully and consider worse case possibilities.

BUT having performed this tweak myself it did make a change and I'd term it an improvement.

JJ
atsmile.gif

Apr 26, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #418 of 1,974
  That sounds like an interesting bit of tweaking.

RF is weird, in a lot of ways.
But it seems to me that since the chips are inside a case that it might be more of the 'stray' RF from the rest of the circuit inside the case rather than from 'external' sources as being the culprit.

I need to read your full report to see if any of the benefits resemble other tweaks I've tried.

Cool stuff…

JJ

The Schiit equipement/cover is supposed to shield against external EMI/RFI from what I've heard, but I also heard electronic components can generate the stuff themselves, inside the equipment.

Apr 26, 2016 at 1:22 PM Post #419 of 1,974

Yes, that would be my intuitions as well. Moreover, I would expect this tweak to help more with DS chips, which operate in faster MHz ranges, than with R2R chips which stay in the slower kHz range.

Apr 26, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #420 of 1,974
http://www.bga-reworking.co.uk/anti-static-foam-swabs-for-cleaning-bga-pcb-100-swabs-cm-fs742-cleantip-106.html

Was looking for a better solution to Q tips..cotton buds.. We do not use these in work as we has industrial controlled washes. ESD and non shedding...clean room quality. Handy for cleaning and applying...

Another handy tool. ESD safe...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back