The DIY'rs Cookbook
Aug 25, 2022 at 5:48 PM Post #1,966 of 1,974
I don't know where to ask so I'll post it here.
A guy locally is selling the Audeze lcd-4 headphones that don't work. I don't have the details yet so I don't know if one side doesn't work or both or maybe it's the cable.
Anyways, I know it's a paperweight but I would love to own it and I dream about fixing it. Is it doable? Can the driver be bought or even swapped? I assume the warranty ran out. Do planar drivers fail with time?

Aug 26, 2022 at 3:54 AM Post #1,967 of 1,974
My experience with the LCD's albeit the 2's and 3's is, the only way to 'fix' them i to send to Audeze for driver replacements
It will set you back 'several' hundred dollars, and they wouldn't offer to sell me just the drivers so it's them or nothing.

And in my case yes, it was the drivers themselves that died, which seems a common mode of failure for the LCD's.

I hope this helps… JJ

Oct 3, 2022 at 1:31 AM Post #1,969 of 1,974
So it's been a while since my last check in…
and a few things have changed…

I do have several spare 71A tubes in matched sets and one is a set of Arcturus blue bulbs, my favorite flavor.
And I have figured out how to easily remove my set of experimentally 'hardwired' 71a's.

I have been listening to my new (used) set of HiFiMan HE500 cans and of course modding them almost from the start.
The stock cable is, much like the stock Audeze cables, mostly worthless, so I hardwired them with a Litz 20 gauge 1.5m balanced cable, and just recently removed All of the remaining wimpy 27 gauge wiring much too my delight.
Getting rid of all that wimpy wiring really helped these cans, way more than I expected.

I've added EQ with a 15dB boost at 15Hz with a broad Q of 0.52 which may turn out too be a tad to much, so I'll probably scale it back a bit, but the extreme low end is mighty impressive, I must say, as it causes me to laugh out loud when a deep bottom end bass lick hammers my head.

I have a few additional mods 'in the cue', such as titanium mesh outer covers, reducing their overshoot, and trying different varieties of modified ear pads.
And thus far I'm quite impressed with these cans as they are the best sounding planar's I've yet heard, as I've never been all that impressed with any of the Audeze cans I've listened to.

I hope to have my Purp-Amp back up and running here soonish…
And since it has a set of 32Ω output taps, which is a perfect match for the HE500's, they should work well together.

JJ

Nov 8, 2022 at 12:53 AM Post #1,970 of 1,974
Well, I’ve been in the “quiet room” since sometime in June (not living in there, just listening several hours a week ***).

We’re already in a quiet neighborhood. With the house quiet, a/c not running, windows closed, no TV, talking, etc. it’s good for music listening. Then go in the quiet room and shut the door and it’s weirdly dead, still, silent. Clearly there is in our homes, even when quiet, air movement that we hear. Startling when we don’t hear it. Now I haven’t got an anechoic chamber here; if someone talks in normal speech right outside the door, I hear talking but can’t make it out. But it’s significant, I can “feel” the difference in here.

So how is it for listening to open back headphones? In a word, wonderful. Everything I already enjoy in hi-fi, true timbre, touch, texture, is vital, alive. Differences between recordings and between gear are greater. I’ve still got a bunch to do with furnishings, treatments. I set up table-top, like we do at our meets. Not photogenic, but form follows function, everything backed in with short cables, easy gear swaps.

A couple things came up right away. The two Acopian power supplies against the wall (12v 6a for Mac Mini, 24v 1a for uDO Dante interface), reflected a hum that I never noticed before. A segmented office type absorber took care of that. And, you think open back cans don’t reflect off walls and change things sonically? Well, when I leaned back to the wall in my chair, it did for sure. Thus, the furniture store-ish burlap/woven wall hangings is a quick n’ dirty solution.

So, worth it, worth the $? Well, I can only describe the magnitude, the value of the upgrade as equal to any of my best component upgrades ever. And, unlike gear changes, no part of it is a down or side grade or trade-off, it’s all good. All listening, all the time, to all music, is better. Of course, we were having a bathroom and this room done in the basement anyway, so the materials & labor cost for insulation, pipe wraps, putty pads, 5/8 sheetrock, Kilmat, insulated exterior door, dedicated outlets, maybe $2k max over what we were already spending for the room anyway.

So, for me, a staggering value with no downside. And for anybody that looks into this stuff, it’s not all or nothing. For example, just replacing a standard door (hollow core, gaps all around) with an exterior door fixes one of the worst sources of adjacent noise. There’s lots that can be done to improve our rooms for open back headphone listening!

Attachments

• 8EC51531-A61A-40AC-BA75-991C2FD68FEC.jpeg
    8EC51531-A61A-40AC-BA75-991C2FD68FEC.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 0858D3AB-9B7D-4B30-AFA4-1686083AB3BD.jpeg
    0858D3AB-9B7D-4B30-AFA4-1686083AB3BD.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • DF98E743-1B9C-456B-A726-8E63FDB92E90.jpeg
    DF98E743-1B9C-456B-A726-8E63FDB92E90.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • BF86CACA-7500-4E39-A100-24ABD17EDA08.jpeg
    BF86CACA-7500-4E39-A100-24ABD17EDA08.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Nov 14, 2022 at 8:02 PM Post #1,971 of 1,974
As suggested by @johnjen I’ll be at 88.2 SR for everything for a while. Sounds great now, I won’t compare til I have full “listener burn-in”.

There is a TINY glitch on several Tidal/Audirvana streamed cuts, the shortest possible dropout, maybe one in a long song, WAY less than 1 sec. Not a trace of anything on ripped files. Not worth chasing, music listening is more important, my Audirvana is an old version, but still sounds great.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2022 at 8:36 PM Post #1,972 of 1,974
I will respond in more detail to your 'sound proof room mods'… hahahahahahahahahaha

Since this is a very interesting subject that has multiple facets all of which help in our enjoyment of our audio pursuits.

It will be interesting to hear your observations on the 88.2 vs 44.1SR shift…

JJ

Jan 15, 2024 at 3:37 PM Post #1,973 of 1,974
I'm trying to get my Pi2AES off the grid and on batteries. I'm setup for the 5volt mod, can anyone point me in the direction of a battery pack(multiple 18650 or similar)? I can't find anything.

Also if anyone has a Noise nuke to sell, I'm buying. TY

Users who are viewing this thread

Back