The discovery thread!
Jul 6, 2012 at 2:59 AM Post #2,536 of 100,145
Quote:
That's very interesting indeed, I was almost sure it would be the other way round.

Glad you're enjoying them! 

The Turbine are still great. The main problem I had with them though is they are a little on the Heavy side. 

Now with these fx40 by jvc I find myself no longer using the turbine. They sound better the more I listen to them I am not even at the 100 hour burn in yet

Jul 6, 2012 at 3:03 AM Post #2,537 of 100,145
Quote:
I only burned them for like 60 If they get even better thats just nuts. 

Ooooh Yeah !  ...trust me, these sounds reasonable on open box, but after 100+ hrs, they're at another level !
Quote:
The Turbine Has better bass. But thats it. and I paid 60$ for those. The bass on the fx 40 is enough for me though and Has Waaaaaay more detail better high and mids than the Turbine. Vocals on these sound great. R and B sound amazing. Heck I even use them for gaming now. All for 20$ shipped.

I've heard the Turbine, I would say it has 'more' bass (Quantity)   ...but the FX40 has 'better' bass (Quality)   ...you don't always hear it but when it's there, there's no mistaking the superior sub-bass extension.

Jul 6, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #2,539 of 100,145
Quote:
I thought I was the only oddball who purchased things from "ahappydeal" lol

Couldn't even tell you what I purchased before :) but ! keep getting the promo emails and codes. Gotta troll the Focalprices, ahappydeals, etc. lol!

Not sure if I missed it but has anyone compared the FX40 to some of the lower Vsonic's yet? Such as the GR02 Bass, GR06, GR04.

Jul 6, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #2,540 of 100,145
I just ordered the JVC HAFX101, and the SHE3580 for $26!!!! I think thats a steal if your feedback is correct. But I am thinking about getting the HA FX40, from what I'm hearing, it has better overall clarity, and still hits those low frequencies. 
Who has both? Which do you prefer?

Jul 6, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #2,541 of 100,145
Quote:
I just ordered the JVC HAFX101, and the SHE3580 for $26!!!! I think thats a steal if your feedback is correct. But I am thinking about getting the HA FX40, from what I'm hearing, it has better overall clarity, and still hits those low frequencies. 

I have both the philips and the fx40. For me the FX40 is the clear winner because it has even more subbass than the philips, yet it is has fantastic clarity and detailing. It's one of the best phones I've heard for just listening at low volumes in bed.

Jul 6, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #2,545 of 100,145
The FX40 emboldened me to get the 80. That, and Dsnuts urging. 
redface.gif

Jul 6, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #2,546 of 100,145
Quote:
doyjon 54 and ghostface how do the 101s and fx1x compare to turbines

I presume you mean me by 'ghostface
confused.gif

I have both the FX101 and FX1X, the 101 are clearly much better with the mids and highs.

I've auditioned the turbines for about an hour and my impressions are that they are neck and neck with the 101. Turbines = slightly more bass, 101 = slightly better highs both have recessed mids.

FX40 has got a more balance sound with quality bass, which is what I like so it gets my vote.

Jul 6, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #2,547 of 100,145
Quote:

I've got all three.

The SHE3580 are just extremely fantastic for the money and should belong in everyone's inventory as the starting guage for good sounds.
Both FX101 and FX40 are at a level above the Philips, the 101 has a 'fun' sound and I use mine mostly for walking, commuting, outdoors, etc. The FX40 are really good for critical listening in a quiet place, they do extremely well at low volumes.

The FX40 has the best SQ in just about everywhere including the bass(sub bass extension)
They are my favourite ...especially after fitting the memory foam tips that came with it.

Jul 7, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #2,548 of 100,145
Quote:
So you reckon I should cancel that order?

No.  Audio is very subjective, I know for example that DustDevil prefers the SHE3580 to even the FX40.  All these phones can be had for so cheap, you get more chance to find one you really like by getting more.

As for me, I like the SHE3580 so much it's just pants on head dumb (^literally ^^ )

Quote:
Per your suggestion, I went to Mongkok and demoed the best IEMs I could get my hands on.

I said before in ljokerl's IEM thread that tuning an IEM in detail with a parametric EQ is like no-holds-barred total racing spec modification for a car, even something like a Toyota Supra, in racing trim, can beat a stock supercar.  That turned out to be the whole truth from what I heard today.

SHE3580 A-spec (standing for the A-shaped EQ curve, and also for full-on racing tuning) went up against
Westone UM3X
Sony XBA-3
Senn IE80
JVC FXD80

And none of them except the XBA-3 got even close without the help of the 10-band EQ on Poweramp.

I played pre-EQed tracks on the SHE3580 and the unaltered tracks I just re-loaded on my phone on the challengers.

Main tracks tested were
Hotel California (from Hell Freezes Over album)
Re-Sublimity (OP to Kannazuki No Miko)

The UM3X and IE80 sounded similar: bloated bass, muffled highs.  I would even put the stock SHE3580 above them.  (but below the FXD80 and XBA-3)
FXD80 sounded ok, except they had amazingly boosted high highs.  Not at sibilance frequency but still, they sound good for about a minute and then it's time to either dial in EQ or take the phones off or claw your ears off.
The XBA-3 was the best of the bunch for me.  It gets the balance about right, and with a boost to 1kHz and 2kHz on the equalizer the timbre is also about right.  Without that boost vocals sound off.  Still can't compare to the SHE3580 A-spec in smoothness in the highs.

I tried to pay attention to the imaging like you said, but couldn't find anything special in them.  I demoed the IE80 because DustDevil told me those are supposed to have a reputation for great imaging, well I didn't hear anything like that.  If anything thanks to the instruments sounding more realistic to me on the SHE3580 A-spec, they at least gain a more realistic presence in my headstage.  None of the phones gave me convincing out-of-head imaging.  The XBA-3 imaging was a bit different from the rest in that the opening guitar plucks off to one side in Hell Freezes Over sounded like they came from *right next to my ear* with the XBA-3, unlike with any of the other phones.  I don't consider that a merit though, and for the rest of the piece it doesn't image particularly differently, except it images a bit better than the other challengers because it has the most realistic timbre among them.

The rest of the post is about the SHE3580 "A-spec" (which means the SHE3580 with my fully customized parametric EQ for it, which happens to be A-shaped) but note the line in bold:  I think I would put even the stock SHE3580 above the UM3X and IE80...

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jul 7, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #2,549 of 100,145
Quote:
The rest of the post is about the SHE3580 "A-spec" (which means the SHE3580 with my fully customized parametric EQ for it, which happens to be A-shaped) but note the line in bold:  I think I would put even the stock SHE3580 above the UM3X and IE80...

Them's fightin words there. From memory, I'm inclined to agree with you about the IE80 part. But I'll leave you to handle the flaming

Jul 7, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #2,550 of 100,145
Thanks guys, So I take it I should I should get the two now, and then buy the FX40 as well?
Well, is anyway willing to sell me a pair of them FX40s? for quite cheap, I can't get anything off ebay or amazon without it being $30 and over, because of shipping etc, I live in New Zealand thats why!!!!
How come US gets all the great deals :frowning2:
Anyway PM or just do whatever, to get in contact, I'm looking at roughly $4 postage if anything
Thanks alot Head Fiers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back