The discovery thread!
Jul 7, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #2,566 of 100,168
Jumped on to the ha fx101 bandwagon today. Should get them in next week. If they are better than the SHE 3580's I'm going to be in LOVE!

Jul 7, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #2,567 of 100,168
Quote:
I'm just sick of the E10s breaking; for me, the build quality has been horrible. First time the right earbud sound cut out due to the 'nozzle' coming away from the housing and now the same thing has happened again. I handle my earbuds with care and the same thing happens twice.

Hmm, well in that case you might be better off trying FX101. I have a pair of E10 here but they hardly get used since I upgraded, I can't question their build. If you've gone through two pairs of E10 probably best to try something else. Twice is enough for anyone. Something like Visang RO2 might be a better build. But eh...for the price of FX101 they're sure worth a look.

Jul 7, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #2,569 of 100,168
Quote:
Hmm, well in that case you might be better off trying FX101. I have a pair of E10 here but they hardly get used since I upgraded, I can't question their build. If you've gone through two pairs of E10 probably best to try something else. Twice is enough for anyone. Something like Visang RO2 might be a better build. But eh...for the price of FX101 they're sure worth a look.

I just figured that with more than a few people giving them good reviews, maybe they are as good as they seem. Ideally, I'd like someone who has tried the FX101s and E10s to give a comparison.

Jul 7, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #2,570 of 100,168
i had/have both.  E10's never blew me away, theres plenty of other phones id go for over them.  The fx101 blew me away.  But this is on a very different level.  if i didnt own a lot of other high end iem's, i probably wouldnt choose the fx101 as my sole iem, but for what i use it for (thumping dark electro/EBM/Darkwave/Hip-hop) nothing comes close.  When your trying to make your ears bleed are you really caring about detail.

If i was just getting one phone in that price range right now itd be the fx40, it cover most bases well.

Jul 7, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #2,571 of 100,168
Quote:
i had/have both.  E10's never blew me away, theres plenty of other phones id go for over them.  The fx101 blew me away.  But this is on a very different level.  if i didnt own a lot of other high end iem's, i probably wouldnt choose the fx101 as my sole iem, but for what i use it for (thumping dark electro/EBM/Darkwave/Hip-hop) nothing comes close.  When your trying to make your ears bleed are you really caring about detail.

If i was just getting one phone in that price range right now itd be the fx40, it cover most bases well.

The FX40 isn't easily available in the UK and costs quite a bit more than the FX101.

Jul 8, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #2,574 of 100,168
Guys... I have a problem, I can't get the FX40 cheaper than $40! because of shipping and the fact that i live in New Zealand Doesn't help 
:frowning2:

Anyway, I was wondering, would anyone be willing to sell their pair to me? or perhaps are willing to buy a new pair for me and then ship them to me.
Off course I would pay for it in full, but i guess that is a bit much to ask.

OMG I really like what I'm hearing on this thread, so I've just got the FX101, and the SHE3580, but to complete the collection I wanting to hear this FX40, I'm told its just as great as many highend phones!

Thanks

Jul 8, 2012 at 5:38 AM Post #2,575 of 100,168
Jul 8, 2012 at 7:22 AM Post #2,576 of 100,168
I should chime in on the micro-debate about sound signatures. I haven't made the review the HA-FX40 deserve because I lost my Clip+ and now the one I received was defective, and reviewing IEMs with home use only wouldn't make sense. With that said, they are not bass light. I know that when we say that something is very detailed it's usually bright, but that's because the drivers that give the best speed and precision, which are balanced armatures, also move less air and so don't have a lot of bass. However this is a dynamic driver based on different materials, they are able to move very fast thanks to the rigidity of carbon nanotubes and still move a lot of air. The whole sound is different from what I'm used to.

Quote:
The ElectronicsProShop seller on ebay

That's what I was going to suggest as well.

Jul 8, 2012 at 7:54 AM Post #2,578 of 100,168
Quote:
I should chime in on the micro-debate about sound signatures. I haven't made the review the HA-FX40 deserve because I lost my Clip+ and now the one I received was defective, and reviewing IEMs with home use only wouldn't make sense. With that said, they are not bass light. I know that when we say that something is very detailed it's usually bright, but that's because the drivers that give the best speed and precision, which are balanced armatures, also move less air and so don't have a lot of bass. However this is a dynamic driver based on different materials, they are able to move very fast thanks to the rigidity of carbon nanotubes and still move a lot of air. The whole sound is different from what I'm used to.

That's what I was going to suggest as well.

Im also getting that sense of a new sound, i think what was meant to be the big deal of the year with sony producing its own BA has actually been overshadowed by JVC's use of the nanotubes and Yamaha's use of the micro driver.  These 2 are giving a sound that is detailed but as you say is capable of moving much more air to up the low end.

Jul 8, 2012 at 8:32 AM Post #2,579 of 100,168
FX80's continue that trend first heard on FX40. Music with fast passages in already fast songs, such as Slumdog Millionaire, have pleasing and accurate detail, yet produce solid low notes when it's time. 

Jul 8, 2012 at 8:48 AM Post #2,580 of 100,168
Omnom, i don't think anyone is about to take on your offer.....

here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JVC-HAFX40S-HAFX40-Silver-Carbon-Nanotubes-Inner-Ear-Earbud-Secure-Fit-Headphone-/110912123532?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item19d2e0b28c

just one of the listings, international shipping to new zealand is about $8.  total cost is about $30.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back