The discovery thread!
Sep 10, 2013 at 2:57 AM Post #14,041 of 100,891
  sfwalcer, did you buy them used? The tips you say are stock are definitely not the stock tips (except the largest ones which do look correct), so I suspect if they're used, the person that sold them to you included the wrong tips. The shape is totally wrong and they're not the correct length. The stock tips are designed to be long enough to go further down the nozzle and actually have a groove inside the stem that hook onto the plastic ring below the nozzle (to prevent them from coming off).

If you bought them new, then maybe something went wrong at the factory, or the dealer sold you an open box pair with the wrong tips included.

Hmmm in fact i did buy them used from a fellow head-fier. He even included two extra sets of Mee tips along with these "stock" m200 tips. I had no idea that they would be different from other peoples sets cuz the bore is wide and fits perfectly on these m200s except that they don't extend beyond the nozzle. :/  So i assumed they were legit tips. LoL
triportsad.gif

Might have to contact the seller to see what's up then. Maybe after i get Danny's set in that is so i can personally compare them, anywho it's not a huge deal if they aren't the original stock tips cuz the medium Samsung tips fits great for me.

Sep 10, 2013 at 2:58 AM Post #14,042 of 100,891
  ^ yeah have read that ya'll have posted that on the M500/M200 thread which sucks to hear. Fingers crossed that nothing like that will happen to my set, but good thing the seller also gave me a receipt just in case i need to use the warranty. Thanks for the heads up though.
beerchug.gif

Yeah hopefully it's just bad luck. Would definitely be keen on learning any eartips that don't induce the clicking driver flex and yet have a good seal and sound just to play it safe

Sep 10, 2013 at 3:03 AM Post #14,043 of 100,891
For you my friend try out the headphones. It will give you another more technical version of that Onkyo sound. Your gonna dig it..I read a review from a guy that tried the cheaper non upgraded cable version vs the upgraded version and he says they sound identical. I have a feeling they should sound pretty much the same maybe until at least 200 hours pass and perhaps a bit more detail from the better cable might come into play. 

Same, I noticed it with the cables when a friend let me listen to his non-premium cables ones. They sounded almost identical, so it's not a night and day difference until you get a large amount or burn-in on them.

I'm considering the Onkyos, but seeing as I already have the M500, I'm not sure if that's such a wise decision. I might go for full-sized ones like the X1 or the new K712 Pro(still can't find a pair to demo)

Sep 10, 2013 at 3:06 AM Post #14,044 of 100,891
  Yeah hopefully it's just bad luck. Would definitely be keen on learning any eartips that don't induce the clicking driver flex and yet have a good seal and sound just to play it safe

I found that tips that have more narrow bore but still fit onto the nozzle lessened the driver flex effect, perhaps because they usually interfere with the outermost holes on the nozzle which have a straight shot to the low frequency driver. The UE900 tips are one example.

The consequence for me is that the sound with those tips ends up being less desirable.

Sep 10, 2013 at 3:32 AM Post #14,045 of 100,891

I found that tips that have more narrow bore but still fit onto the nozzle lessened the driver flex effect, perhaps because they usually interfere with the outermost holes on the nozzle which have a straight shot to the low frequency driver. The UE900 tips are one example.

The consequence for me is that the sound with those tips ends up being less desirable.

No point having a good seal but less sound quality, wouldn't want to settle for less
Thanks for pointing out one example though 
beerchug.gif

Sep 10, 2013 at 3:46 AM Post #14,046 of 100,891
  No point having a good seal but less sound quality, wouldn't want to settle for less
Thanks for pointing out one example though 
beerchug.gif

It's actually more of a subjective thing, though. I should've emphasized the "for me" part, as the sound quality still remained at a high level, it was just that the treble seemed less smooth/more peaky to me which was noticeable on some recordings, not so much on others. More of a sound signature difference than anything. Someone else could just as easily find that the sound with the UE900 tips is perfect with their music.

On another note, I'm having a really hard time at the moment adjusting back to my other IEMs while I'm in the process to get my KEFs replaced. I'm almost to the point where I might just listen to music out of the right (working) channel of the M200. 
tongue.gif

Sep 10, 2013 at 7:15 AM Post #14,047 of 100,891
I have the CKS 1K, after my initial "wow" with these, started to find them to lack a bit of finesse, clarity and a bitch to get a good fit, didn't listen to them that much. Definitely didn't like them with the X3 either. Then, last night, decided to try the line out, go to my ALO Continental amp, then the 1K's, and, you know what, the sound was great. Wide, clear (still not the absolute on this, but really good), driving sound. My take is that the amp section of the X3 must not drive these babies well, or have some coloration that conflicts. Give it a try, let me know what you think.
To muck things up a bit more, anyone try the Hifiman 901? Just saw it advertised in a flyer. Not cheap, about $1000

Sep 10, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #14,048 of 100,891

It's actually more of a subjective thing, though. I should've emphasized the "for me" part, as the sound quality still remained at a high level, it was just that the treble seemed less smooth/more peaky to me which was noticeable on some recordings, not so much on others. More of a sound signature difference than anything. Someone else could just as easily find that the sound with the UE900 tips is perfect with their music.

On another note, I'm having a really hard time at the moment adjusting back to my other IEMs while I'm in the process to get my KEFs replaced. I'm almost to the point where I might just listen to music out of the right (working) channel of the M200. 
tongue.gif

Cool thanks for clarifying
Me too I'm kinda addicted to the SQ of the M200 until I rather live with its issues than part with that music it produces 
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 10, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #14,049 of 100,891

I have the CKS 1K, after my initial "wow" with these, started to find them to lack a bit of finesse, clarity and a bitch to get a good fit, didn't listen to them that much. Definitely didn't like them with the X3 either. Then, last night, decided to try the line out, go to my ALO Continental amp, then the 1K's, and, you know what, the sound was great. Wide, clear (still not the absolute on this, but really good), driving sound. My take is that the amp section of the X3 must not drive these babies well, or have some coloration that conflicts. Give it a try, let me know what you think.
To muck things up a bit more, anyone try the Hifiman 901? Just saw it advertised in a flyer. Not cheap, about $1000

the medium tip works best. easiest to get a deeper insertion and seal. no comfort problems on my side.

cks1000 are burning in full time, later today ill give them a proper go.

Sep 10, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #14,050 of 100,891

Japan VGP Visual Grand Prix 2013 Summer Awards (Headphones Category)
http://www.visualgrandprix.com/vgp2013_summer/vgp_p2_12.html

Thanks.  Has anyone heard the ATH-WS55X?  How do they compare to the S500?

Overhead type headphones (less than 10,000 yen)
sita_kei.gif
Gold
AUDIO-TECHNICAATH-WS55X

Also curious about the Shure SE215SPE-A

· (¥ 10,000 less than 5,000 yen or more) earbud headphones
sita_kei.gif
Gold
SHURESE215SPE-A

Sep 10, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #14,051 of 100,891
WS55X is getting some good press and a guy on the WS99 thread likes them a lot. Look like they might be good ones for not much. Try em out.

Also. I will have some thoughts about the new Braiwaves Deltas.

Sep 10, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #14,052 of 100,891
Have my Onkyo headphone (premium version). Amazon messed up my earphone order and had me waiting for months before they finally cancelled the order. I made a big stink about it and to appease me they gave me $30 back. So in essence I got the premium cable Onkyo headphone for the price of the non-premium cable one. 

With that little back story out of the way, out of the box I am loving this Onkyo headphone. I really like the WS99, but this sound signature is more of what I hoped the WS99 would sound like. Now, the signatures aren't the same at all and I could live having both of those portables. If I had to choose one, however, I would choose the Onkyo. I'm expecting big things as it burns in. And someone stated these were on-ear headphones. Not to me. The cups surround my ears just fine, and I think it's more comfortable than the WS99. More impressions later.

Sep 10, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #14,053 of 100,891
Sep 10, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #14,054 of 100,891
Nice, you got them for a good deal. These titanium drivers is a new one for me. Don't know how long it takes to burn in titanium drivers. If you take your pads off they are completely metal looking drivers which is kinda cool..I remember reading the PRo900 thread and how long it took for guys to get those drivers to tame and I suspect these headphones will be no different but also the upgraded cable which will require a longer burn in time as well. So I am gonna go by the 200 rule. Unknown drivers. That would be the base hours. We will see how they sound about this time next week. 

Look forward to read what you got to say about them. Commence burn in. 

Sep 10, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #14,055 of 100,891

Ya I got an email from them about those.. I hope these are a vast improvement over the R1s  Wait. What happened to R2s? Or did they skip that all together for the R3? Lol. Anybody game to try these out?

On a similar front. Looks like them $20 Braiwaves Deltas are the real deal from early reviews. http://www.head-fi.org/t/680253/brainwavz-delta-iems-new-low-cost-champs#post_9775513

Interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back