The discovery thread!
Sep 10, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #14,056 of 100,806
  Ya I got an email from them about those.. I hope these are a vast improvement over the R1s  Wait. What happened to R2s? Or did they skip that all together for the R3? Lol. Anybody game to try these out?

On a similar front. Looks like them $20 Braiwaves Deltas are the real deal from early reviews. http://www.head-fi.org/t/680253/brainwavz-delta-iems-new-low-cost-champs#post_9775513

Interesting.

I was reading some article when the developers were testing these. One of the engineers stated that he love the sound of the FXZ100, and that these were being tuned to sound like a refined version of that earphone. Works for me if they pulled it off. Actually, I didn't hate the R1. I thought it had excellent imaging and spacing between instruments and vocals. Too me it was only lacking in refinement of sound. If these babies are a refined FXZ100, I'm all in. I never put my FXZ100 up for sale. It's special to me.

Sep 10, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #14,057 of 100,806
  Nice, you got them for a good deal. These titanium drivers is a new one for me. Don't know how long it takes to burn in titanium drivers. If you take your pads off they are completely metal looking drivers which is kinda cool..I remember reading the PRo900 thread and how long it took for guys to get those drivers to tame and I suspect these headphones will be no different but also the upgraded cable which will require a longer burn in time as well. So I am gonna go by the 200 rule. Unknown drivers. That would be the base hours. We will see how they sound about this time next week. 

Look forward to read what you got to say about them. Commence burn in. 

If I'm not mistaken, Dsnuts, the RE-400 use titanium drivers (and I think the TDK IE-800, but I'm not 100 percent sure on that one). It just needs a bit more bass, the RE-400's sound is outstanding to my ears!

Sep 10, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #14,058 of 100,806

If I'm not mistaken, Dsnuts, the RE-400 use titanium drivers (and I think the TDK IE-800, but I'm not 100 percent sure on that one). It just needs a bit more bass, the RE-400's sound is outstanding to my ears!

you'r not.
from hifiman site
 The RE-400 Waterline by HiFiMAN is a premium quality, high-performance In-Ear Monitor (IEM) that sets the standard for others to follow. Featuring advanced ergonomics for superb fit, and premium materials such as Titanium Diapharagm, Neodymium magnet and OFC Copper cabling, RE-400 represents best-in-class performance and comfort.

Features:
Advanced ergonomics
8.5mm Titanium Diapharagm
Neodymium magnet
OFC Copper Cabling
Driver designed and manufactured by HiFiMAN

Sep 10, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #14,060 of 100,806
  I'm really curious how the arrived at that shape for the R3. 

They talked about it a bit back in May:

About the design & build:

We really wanted to keep with a industrial look The R3 so we choose to make it out of high grade, CNC cut aluminum and went with keeping the natural color of the metal instead of coloring it, the housings are not light weight either. The metal housing is not small, this i do believe may cause some people with smaller ears to have some problem with wearing these in a over the ear manner, but they can also be worn straight down. The nozzle had to be extended a few times to ensure that most people would not have a problem with insertion. 

We really felt that for dual dynamic drivers to fully shine the positioning of the speakers was critical, we felt that the speakers being next to each other or one behind the other not really the most efficient way to get the most out of a dynamic speakers, the two methods of positioning are what you normally find in dual dynamic earphones, like our R1. Instead we came up with the idea of positioning them facing each other but with ample space so that one would not affect the others performance. We really weren't sure how this type of positioning would affect the sound, i've never really seen earphones with speakers positioned in such a way, it was a gamble and with the rightly tuned drivers we found a good synergy that produced some very good results. More on the SQ later.

Sep 10, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #14,064 of 100,806
Wow Danny - congrats!
beerchug.gif

Reading up a bit about it here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/608098/review-yulong-d100-mkii-dac-an-update-to-an-already-excellent-device

Impressive.

Sep 10, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #14,065 of 100,806
If you are willing to wait for Amazon Japan to restock and willing to use a third-party forwarding service (like Tenso), the Philips Fidelio S2 is at its lowest price I've seen: ¥ 8,672, which seems to be about $86 USD at the current exchange rate. In my experience, Tenso service and shipping fees come out to about $15-20, so even with that tacked on, it's still quite a bit cheaper than buying from a reseller on eBay ($138 at the time of this posting).

At the moment, they say that it will ship "within 1 to 3 months", but I've found that their estimates aren't very accurate and oftentimes they'll get stock in much sooner. YMMV, of course.

EDIT: The white/gold version is currently in stock for ¥ 8,955 (around $89 USD) if you don't want to wait or want that color scheme instead.

Sep 10, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #14,066 of 100,806

Thanks Wayne.  I think I'm gonna like it very much.

If you are willing to wait for Amazon Japan to restock and willing to use a third-party forwarding service (like Tenso), the Philips Fidelio S2 is at its lowest price I've seen: ¥ 8,672, which seems to be about $86 USD at the current exchange rate. In my experience, Tenso service and shipping fees come out to about $20, so even with that tacked on, it's still quite a bit cheaper than buying from a reseller on eBay ($138 at the time of this posting).

At the moment, they say that it will ship "within 1 to 3 months", but I've found that their estimates aren't very accurate and oftentimes they'll get stock in much sooner. YMMV, of course.

EDIT: The white/gold version is currently in stock for ¥ 8,955 (around $89 USD) if you don't want to wait or want that color scheme instead.

That's a damn good deal and a bargain based on sound.

Sep 10, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #14,067 of 100,806

On a similar front. Looks like them $20 Braiwaves Deltas are the real deal from early reviews. http://www.head-fi.org/t/680253/brainwavz-delta-iems-new-low-cost-champs#post_9775513

That dragon2knight guy seems to own only Brainwavz headphones - look at the list of his posts.
In the profile he claims to own many other phones, but never posts in any non-Brainwavz threads.
Doesn't seem trustworthy.

Sep 10, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #14,068 of 100,806
Well I, if you remember from a few pages back, have the Brainwavz S1 and can vouch for them. Still a little driver flex and the highs are going through a bright period at the moment but their new drivers sound very good. I already said that the $60 S1 is more colored but technically as good as the VSD1 and more fun. Beefier build, can be worn both ways easier and has better accs. Worth the $60 no doubt. 

I think Dweaver and Zelda will have Delta's as well. They seem to be legit and they are only $20.

Sep 10, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #14,069 of 100,806
Dweaver got his I believe and he seemed to be impressed as well. I take more stock on his assessment more so than anyone else on that thread. If I remember correctly that dragon2knight guy was the one that started the hype train on the R1s and he seems to be more impressed with the deltas. In any case I will get my pair soon. Will let you guys know the skinny. As for the S3 I am thinking just from a design perspective that they might have something with their acoustic chamber design..That housing is big, which is actually a good thing.

Ultimately they might have something with this design..Hope those end up being a good one. Would be shocked if they end up sounding as good as the KEF M200.

Congrats on the Yulong Danny. I know you been patiently waiting for that unit. It is always nice to get a new higher end source. Glad that panned out. I was so tempted to jump on that deal..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back