The discovery thread!
Sep 9, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #14,011 of 100,883
Heads up for anyone who got in on the Geek at the $159 price bracket, there's a $139 spot open right now. Switch your pledge ASAP! ...Ok sorry guys, it's gone. Hope someone from head-fi got it

Also still looking for anyone in Toronto who'd be interested in splitting the geek shipping costs with me. I got in at the $139 bracket and I can add to my order/pledge. PM if interested!

Sep 9, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #14,014 of 100,883
DX50 sounds like a real mess with the UI.  You would think they'd have figured it out before release since the DX100 is around two years old now.  I'll find out in a few days I guess.  

DX50 sound is well balanced and pretty amazing for I'd price point, tbh, even though I like a warmer signature, the DX50 is slightly better than the X3(and even the Ak100) in some regards. But the UI is an abomination created to frustrate owners.

Sep 10, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #14,015 of 100,883
DX50 sound is well balanced and pretty amazing for I'd price point, tbh, even though I like a warmer signature, the DX50 is slightly better than the X3(and even the Ak100) in some regards. But the UI is an abomination created to frustrate owners.

You must be in the first batch?  

I don't doubt the sound but if it won't play my music files, then it'll be a crapshoot like the Studio V 3rd Anniv.  

Sep 10, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #14,016 of 100,883
You must be in the first batch?  

I don't doubt the sound but if it won't play my music files, then it'll be a crapshoot like the Studio V 3rd Anniv.  

A friend is 1st batch buyer. I had it for 3 days. To keep it short, if by sound alone, the DX50 is amazing, much closer to it's big brother than the price might suggest. But if you're looking for an on-the-go DAP, this thing with it's current UI is not it.

- Only plays albums (shuffle constantly breaks if you try doing the whole)
- Sound sometimes dies when you skip tracks, even with small playlists(15-20 songs)
-haven't had this but some reported having the foreward/backward buttons flipped.

Build, sound, everything else is there. If they'd only put a little more into the firmware, I'd have jumped on it, but right now, no thanks.

Sep 10, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #14,017 of 100,883
I read they are getting a new firmware real soon. Should fix a lot of the bugs..Mine should have the newest firmware installed. Or so I hope.

Those Dunu DN-1000 comparable to a $1300 AKG K3003?. Whos gonna try one? I would but I just spent that money on the DX50..

Sep 10, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #14,018 of 100,883
A friend is 1st batch buyer. I had it for 3 days. To keep it short, if by sound alone, the DX50 is amazing, much closer to it's big brother than the price might suggest. But if you're looking for an on-the-go DAP, this thing with it's current UI is not it.

- Only plays albums (shuffle constantly breaks if you try doing the whole)
- Sound sometimes does when you skip tracks
-haven't had this but some reported having the foreward/backward buttons flipped.

Build, sound, everything else is there. If they'd only put a little more into the firmware, I'd have jumped on it, but right now, no thanks.

I've been keeping up on the thread anticipating its arrival and the bugs don't sound very promising.  Hopefully the first firmware update to be released in a couple of days will sort out some of the major UI flaws.  Looking forward to hear how it stacks up to the DX100 though.  

Sep 10, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #14,021 of 100,883
This is what I would personally try out. I like the price too. $188

iBasso D42 Mamba
USB-DAC/Headphone AMP
The D42 is a refinement of the well received D4. While we keep the AMP section exactly same as the original D4, we improved the DAC section by using better components.  The enclosure is very different to the D4's. It is a well made enclosure with hairline finish.
Main features:
- Dual Wolfson WM8740 DAC Chip
- TI PCM2706 for USB signal input, provides I2S interface for decoding
- Works as a DAC+AMP Combo, a standalone AMP, or a standalone DAC (Line out function)
- 2-Setting Gain Switch
- OPAMP rollable
- AMP section can be powered by either USB or 9V battery
- Measures 60*20*92mm, and weighs 102g
- Comes with 3.5 to 3.5 interconnect cable, pouch, USB cable, and OTG cable.

Damn things got 2X WM8740. I am sold on this chip by the way. Same chips that are on the X3 and the DX50. And the thing is portable too.

Sep 10, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #14,022 of 100,883
  I'd love to try out the DUNU but not sure about it.  I wish it was dynamic plus dual armature.  

When ClieOS posted about it back in June on his site, he called it a budget tri-brid ("
dual BA + single dynamic hybrid") and the kjk1281-translated impressions on the last page also say that it consists of "two BAs and one 10mm dynamic". If true, DUNU should really make that more clear.

Sep 10, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #14,023 of 100,883
When ClieOS posted about it back in June on his site, he called it a budget tri-brid ("[COLOR=333333]dual BA + single dynamic hybrid") and the kjk1281-translated impressions on the last page also say that it consists of "[/COLOR]two BAs and one 10mm dynamic". If true, DUNU should really make that more clear.

Oh weird. I looked it up earlier and I thought I read it was 1 BA + 1 dynamic. I swear it was on the DUNU site too. They should make it more clear.

Sep 10, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #14,024 of 100,883
So, those Onkyos do get much better with burn in. I've been thrashing them with pink noise and bassdrive, and they've definitely evened out sound-wise. Still bassy, but the treble and mids have become more even-ish

I'm having a little trouble with fit - in my left ear especially. That big-ass driver does get in the way some. I'm using large old-school UE tips as my best option right now. I've resorted to using larger tips and seating the Onkyos shallow.

Not bad so far, although I'm reserving judgement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back