The discovery thread!
Sep 9, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #13,996 of 100,857
  Ok damn, the Onkyo's are blowing me away I really dig this type of sound.
Bought them used with about 50 hours on them already and they hit deep and hard in the bass whilst still having pretty damn good instrument separation and clarity.
Enjoying them more than the S2's but I think it's evident that I'm not getting a good seal on the S2's too. Plus I'm usually listening in relatively noisy environments (S2's isolation is not a strong suit)
Onkyo's are also incredibly sensitive too I think, I'm on the lowest sound setting on my Macbook Pro's

That's awesome mate! Glad you've settled well with the Onkyo's. I guess those S2s of your will have a new home pretty soon.

Sep 9, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #13,997 of 100,857
Here's a hypothetical for anyone who wants to answer.... would earlier Enya work be considered metal?

Just kidding! The question really is, if you could get the s2's for $90 or the m200's for $150, which would it be?

I only say S2 for $90 because you might have fit problems as some do. But sound quality-wise, I think $150 is a hell a bargain for the M200. 

The S2 is a great deal for $90 too.

Sep 9, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #13,998 of 100,857
Can anybody sell me their Mediabridge cable for the X1? ( or Zu Audio cable, even better :p )
Can't find a site which ships them to Oz for a reasonable price
Sorry if this is against the rules (just delete if it is)
Just need a decent cable since I heard V-Moda cable is a bit variable in impedance

Sep 9, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #13,999 of 100,857

I only say S2 for $90 because you might have fit problems as some do. But sound quality-wise, I think $150 is a hell a bargain for the M200. 

The S2 is a great deal for $90 too.

Thanks ericp10! All seems to make sense. Fit issues certainly would be the one concern I would have with the M200's. I'll continue to happily watch from the sidelines for a while...

Sep 9, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #14,000 of 100,857
  maybe around 65. ill keep burning them in and take your word for it... question i am wondering about is if the onyko have the same kind of depth/refinement these have.

...either the japs like refinement or warmer signatures:

- (Less than 30,000 yen 20,000 yen or more) earbud headphones
sita_kei.gif
Gold
AUDIO-TECHNICAATH-CKS1000
Line.jpg
Winning
DENONAH-C250
Line.jpg
Winning
DENONAH-C300
Line.jpg
Winning
JVCHA-FXZ200
Line.jpg
Winning
KEFM200
Line.jpg
Winning
KLIPSCHImage X10i
Line.jpg
Winning
KLIPSCHImage X7i
Line.jpg
Winning
RADIUSHP-TWF22K W n ° 2 (brevet de Numero de)
Line.jpg
Winning
SONYXBA-30
Line.jpg

· (¥ 20,000 less than 10,000 yen or more)-ear headphones
sita_kei.gif
Gold
ONKYOIE-HF300
Line.jpg
Winning
AUDIO-TECHNICAATH-CKS99i
Line.jpg
Winning
AUDIO-TECHNICAATH-CKS99
Line.jpg
Winning
JVCHA-FXZ100
Line.jpg
Winning
MAXELLMXH-DBA700-BK
Line.jpg
Winning
PHILIPSFidelio S2

Where did you get this list?

Sep 9, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #14,001 of 100,857
RE400 on the way.  Interested to see how they compare to my Tenore and Basso.  Sold my NE-700X

Sep 9, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #14,005 of 100,857
  ^ Congrats Ds!!!
beerchug.gif

Can't wait to see how you compare them to the X3's.
popcorn.gif

+1! And I'm looking forward to how you like the X5 once you get it! 
biggrin.gif

Sep 9, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #14,007 of 100,857
I was gonna wait for the X5 but the more I thought about it from the early reports I have read. Everyone says the Ibasso is superior to the X3. And the X3 is no joke. I also read that it is more neutral in sound and has the better treble of the 2 players. So my neutral phones will go with my X3 and my flavored phones with the DX50 is the plan.

I was listening to my IE-HF300s and the more I thought about it. I know for a fact the Onkyos, my CKS1000s, Bassos all will play better on a more neutral source. So therefor I went ahead and ordered one..

Plus I like the fact that it will have a different sound vs my X3. Enough of a reason for me to bite. Danny should get his real soon and I am sure he will let us know how it sounds...

Sep 9, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #14,008 of 100,857
  I was gonna wait for the X5 but the more I thought about it from the early reports I have read. Everyone says the Ibasso is superior to the X3. And the X3 is no joke. I also read that it is more neutral in sound and has the better treble of the 2 players. So my neutral phones will go with my X3 and my flavored phones with the DX50 is the plan.

I was listening to my IE-HF300s and the more I thought about it. I know for a fact the Onkyos, my CKS1000s, Bassos all will play better on a more neutral source. So therefor I went ahead and ordered one..

Plus I like the fact that it will have a different sound vs my X3. Enough of a reason for me to bite. Danny should get his real soon and I am sure he will let us know how it sounds...

^ DAMN and i was hoping to lowball ya' for your X3's.
ksc75smile.gif

Sep 9, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #14,009 of 100,857
Wow,DS, IBasso got some good response, though, just from quickly scanning the threads, X3 seems to have more fans. Really curious what they will do for the X5...any info on when it will be available, what it will cost, what it will be like (James Fiio posted on the X3 thread that the UI/firmware would be different than the X3's, but don't know much else about what upgrade it will be)

Sep 9, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #14,010 of 100,857
Can anybody here read Japanese? I just came across this thread on Kakaku that I think compares the DUNU DN-1000 to the T-PEOS H-200 and AKG K3003.

Not me! :p

I only translated the first post. Hopefully I'll get to translate his update if anybody's interested.

[quote="koontz]
Dunu DN-1000 Impressions

They arrived this morning, exactly one week after ordering them. So how’s the sound of the world’s cheapest? ($185) hybrid triple?

From here I’ll be comparing the Chinese Dunu DN-1000 to the K3003 (¥140000 street price in Japan) and the Korean T-PEOS H-200.

Let’s start with the DN-1000.
First, the driver configuration is a hybrid, consisting of two BAs and one 10mm dynamic. Amongst the abundant accessories, I was perplexed by the colored rings; these rings alter the sound. The rings are attached to the nozzle, changing the depth at which the ear tips are attached. This is a surprisingly affective approach.

Also in the accessories are 5 types of eartips which greatly affect the sound signature. In particular, the white tips create a sound that is quite reminiscent of the K3003, providing similar articulation. These tips are very soft, allowing the bass to escape. Through experimentation, I found that the distance between the nozzle (driver) and eardrum changes the perceived amount of bass.

When I use the v-moda tips*, which is my go-to tip for nozzles of this diameter, I found that, perhaps due to how close the driver is to the eardrum, the bass response was a bit too abundant; I found that using the large [Atomic Floyd] SuperDarts tips or the large Shure E2c silicones gave me much better balance, and these are what I use regularly. (Because my left ear is larger than the right, I use the SuperDarts tip on the left ear and the E2c tip on the right.)
* [Translator’s note: He seems to reference v-moda tips often in his reviews and impressions, but I couldn’t figure out which exact tips he’s referring to.]

Now on the sound: the first impression of the Dunus reminded me of a bassy K3003. This was probably due to the fact that I was using the v-moda tips; when changing to the SuperDarts tips, my impression of Dunus were of a more full-bodied K3003.

Compared to the H-200, the Dunus were more natural. The H-200 brings out female vocals, but the treble comes across as a bit veiled, a sign of an uneven response curve.
The DN-1000 also sounded more cohesive, almost as if it were a single driver. The biggest surprise was just how beautifully they reproduced classical orchestral music. The air around the instruments is similar to a full-size headphone, and the treble, while very resolving, does not sound artificial as BAs can sometimes sound.

When talking with a familiar salesman at my favorite electronics store, I told him that I preferred the DN-1000 to the K3003 display model. The K3003 is just too thin. The Dunu has similar range but the notes are thicker.
I should mention that using the white tips does make the sound more K3003-like, resulting in far less bass and an invigorating, treble-tilted response. (BA like tone)
Comply tips make the sound warmer. (more like a dynamic)
I feel the differences in tips choice is greater than the common earphone.

In terms of DAP synergy, I feel these match well with the HDP-R10. These don’t pair well with my modded AK100 (probably due to the modding) as the sound is too aggressive; the bass is too abundant and the treble is grainy. The R10 in contrast provide a smooth response from the deepest bass through the upper frequencies. I’m hoping the Dunu pairs well with the DX50 that should be arriving next week.

[/quote]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back