The discovery thread!
Jun 20, 2013 at 3:02 AM Post #11,071 of 100,230
Quote:
Oh, I seem to have missed that. Must have all gone pretty quickly...

It was around for a bit but never got much attention, then their operation suddenly got busted for some reason and everything got deleted.

Quote:
Alrighty guys of the discovery thread.
I've been trying to play catch up, but it's again becoming difficult.

What is the best i can do with $25 so far, out of all the discoveries in the past 8 months?

so far i've got:

sony xba-1
sony mh1-c
ath ckn-50
ath clr100
ath-cor150
various vsonics

it's a little hard to tell which of these and the other cheapy iems rise to the top since they seem to have been discovered then forgotten in this thread.
What's the best bang for the buck cheapy iem right now?

note: i haven't owned a audio technica iem before.

Have not heard all them but i would say the MH1Cs is still the biggest bang for the buck/ discovery for me. They just have a crazy refined smooth bassy sound that doesn't feel lacking when i listen to them. Like i said numerous times, i can just call it quits with my cheapo S500s and these MH1Cs without any regrets. haha

I am sure the xba-1 sound pretty good as well. Oh maybe you should look into those LG Quadbeat iems as well. Think they are close/ on par with the MH1Cs but with a MUCH MUCH better cable that would not drive you crazy unlike the MH1Cs.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/661009/budget-review-lg-quadbeat-se-vs-mh1-vs-ue200

Jun 20, 2013 at 3:07 AM Post #11,072 of 100,230
Alrighty guys of the discovery thread.
I've been trying to play catch up, but it's again becoming difficult.

What is the best i can do with $25 so far, out of all the discoveries in the past 8 months?

so far i've got:

sony xba-1
sony mh1-c
ath ckn-50
ath clr100
ath-cor150
various vsonics

Based on your list I'd go for XBA1 for balanced sound or MH1c if you like more BASS! Goodluck

Has anyone tried the Superlux 381F? I'm just wondering why nobody has expressed interest in them...
If they are worth a try for $20, I might pull the trigger on them. I wasn't too happy with the SHE9700 that's why I'm in search mode again. After 40 hours of burn-in, the SHE9700 was still way too sibilant for me. It has great balance between bass and mids BUT the highs! Man! they just hurt my ears so bad that I'd rather have the SHE3580 on for the entire day. Maybe I got a defective pair? or worse, fakes?

Jun 20, 2013 at 6:20 AM Post #11,073 of 100,230
I posted before but didnt see anything.

Was debating between the ath cks77x and the carbo basso. But now, the cks99 has me intrigued. The cks99 is not much more than the cks77x.

Which one out of the three would you recommend? Im coming from a cks77.

Jun 20, 2013 at 7:08 AM Post #11,074 of 100,230
Quote:

Was debating between the ath cks77x and the carbo basso. But now, the cks99 has me intrigued. The cks99 is not much more than the cks77x.

I haven't tried the CKS 77x/99 but I have the Basso.
What I know is I haven't read anything bad about the Bassos, and everyone I know who has them are very happy.
Personally, I'd be keeping the Bassos for good even if I get to encounter more great sounding IEMs.
They're that good!

Jun 20, 2013 at 7:29 AM Post #11,075 of 100,230
Ok guys, just picked up the S2 from a local retailer. Nice packaging along with a good amount of accessories and the built quality of the iem itself is really good. Here the pics for those who are curious and will try to put up a brief early impression when I have the time to do so. Cheers.
[/IMG]

Jun 20, 2013 at 9:06 AM Post #11,077 of 100,230
Quote:

Ya I hate to admit it but the difference between the CKS77 and the CKS77X is not much. The CKS77X has more forward mids they end up sounding like a person child of the old CKS77 and the XB90EX.. Not enough real advancement in sound to go for them. I would look into the bassos or the CKS99. Both will be better.
Quote:
Ok guys, just picked up the S2 from a local retailer. Nice packaging along with a good amount of accessories and the built quality of the iem itself is really good. Here the pics for those who are curious and will try to put up a brief early impression when I have the time to do so. Cheers. [attach]870276[/attach]

[attach]870318[/attach][/quote]

Sweetness. S2s in the hishouse!

Jun 20, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #11,078 of 100,230
Quote:
can someone fill me in on what the deal is with these?

I wouldn't trust that as far as I could throw them lol

Quote:
Sony MDR-EX700 HEADPHONE EARPHONE FOR Phone SONY MP3 1POD1
(Please note that it is not original Sony earphones, but OEM ones)

Jun 20, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #11,079 of 100,230
Quote:
Based on your list I'd go for XBA1 for balanced sound or MH1c if you like more BASS! Goodluck

Has anyone tried the Superlux 381F? I'm just wondering why nobody has expressed interest in them...
If they are worth a try for $20, I might pull the trigger on them. I wasn't too happy with the SHE9700 that's why I'm in search mode again. After 40 hours of burn-in, the SHE9700 was still way too sibilant for me. It has great balance between bass and mids BUT the highs! Man! they just hurt my ears so bad that I'd rather have the SHE3580 on for the entire day. Maybe I got a defective pair? or worse, fakes?

Hmm really? That is strange my pair is no sibilant at all. Keep them on the burn in..I am gonna have to open my box o iems and try them again. Last time I remembered them to be similar to the SHE3580 with more space because of the housing.

Jun 20, 2013 at 9:21 AM Post #11,080 of 100,230
So after doing some tip-rolling, I tried using my UE900 stock tips on my S2 and man do they suddenly start sounding full and awesome. Not 'shockingly amazing' yet, but very good for its price. Almost everything is as described in Dsnuts' impressions now. Still a little bit of treble sharpness, but that will likely be fixed after burn in.

Guess getting the right fit is the most important factor in getting proper sound out of the S2. :)

Jun 20, 2013 at 9:23 AM Post #11,081 of 100,230
Quote:
So after doing some tip-rolling, I tried using my UE900 stock tips on my S2 and man do they suddenly start sounding full and awesome. Not 'shockingly amazing' yet, but very good for its price. Almost everything is as described in Dsnuts' impressions now. Still a little bit of treble sharpness, but that will likely be fixed after burn in.

Guess getting the right fit is the most important factor in getting proper sound out of the S2. :)

beerchug.gif
  You keep listening to them and they will grow on you like madd. Lol.

Jun 20, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #11,082 of 100,230
Quote:
Hmm really? That is strange my pair is no sibilant at all. Keep them on the burn in..I am gonna have to open my box o iems and try them again. Last time I remembered them to be similar to the SHE3580 with more space because of the housing.

It is definitely more airy than SHE3580 and great imaging as well. It's only sibilance I'm really annoyed about so, I'll keep them plugged for burn-in and see how it goes after 100 hrs.

Jun 20, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #11,083 of 100,230
Quote:

Really? do you think the XBA-1 is better performing than the various ath microdrivers?
I would also add all the new various jvc buds since the fx101 to the list as well.

Jun 20, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #11,084 of 100,230
Quote:
Really? do you think the XBA-1 is better performing than the various ath microdrivers?
I would also add all the new various jvc buds since the fx101 to the list as well.

IMO the XBA-1 is the best amongst them, in your list at least.
If you can get them for $25, that's a sweet deal!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back