The discovery thread!
Jun 19, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #11,041 of 100,230
Quote:
Here they are:
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=181137426245

I'm kinda skeptical about them to be honest, I think shipping them out of Australia would be risky.

I didn't really want to post the link - because I was skeptical to! If it looks too cheap it normally is... Saying that mine arrived in 7 days. They sound better than my dual drivers. They sound better (but different) to my Q-Jays. As I said - if they are fake, they are a blinking good fake. Still - [size=small]Caveat emptor.[/size]

[size=small]I was confident enough to try their CMK99's anyway! Just ordered! [/size]

[size=small]I saw it as a risk, but hey, it's my 5th set of phones in a month so why not.[/size]

Jun 19, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #11,042 of 100,230
Quote:

OH GOD! CAN'T RESIST ANY LONGER....THAAAT'S WHHHAAAT SHHHEEE SAAIIIDD!

WHAT A NOOB!!!

... we in 2013 meng. :  P

Quote:
Just got them in.  The black stealth version looks awesome.  I'm using Auveo's but I'll let them burn for the rest of the week.  Still sounds really nice.  

Congrats on dem 1Ks!!!
beerchug.gif

Quote:
There is hardly any information about the Audio Technica ATH CKS99's on Headfi. There is someone on ebay selling supposedly manufacture refurbished ones for £32. They came in a plastic bag with 3 sizes of silicon tips and a winder.

Mine have had around 30 hours burn in, and they are the best phones I own. They go low, they  are engaging, musical and detailed. They are special with vocals, and have a natural, realistic presentation. I was skeptical of them being genuine - if they are fake they are an amazing fake!

Someone who knows what they are talking about should get a set to compare to the CKS1000 and CKS77x - just to further human knowledge
wink.gif

Hey glorfy have you tried/ purchased the other Corecool lookalikes from Germany???

Jun 19, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #11,043 of 100,230
Quote:
I didn't really want to post the link - because I was skeptical to! If it looks too cheap it normally is... Saying that mine arrived in 7 days. They sound better than my dual drivers. They sound better (but different) to my Q-Jays. As I said - if they are fake, they are a blinking good fake. Still - [size=small]Caveat emptor.[/size]

[size=small]I was confident enough to try their CMK99's anyway! Just ordered! [/size]

[size=small]I saw it as a risk, but hey, it's my 5th set of phones in a month so why not.[/size]

Fuark, this looks tempting. I'm in Aus as well >.>

Jun 19, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #11,044 of 100,230
Listening to some Seal.. Cus you gotta get it to hear these. I have been listening to my S2s.. 

These have the ability to give that club in your head sound when called for. Listening to this track it does. Crank this up cus I say so..

What can I say guys..These and the bassos both don't require any burn in it seems both sound excellent out of the box.. Haven't heard my S2s for a day or so because of my mid terms. So today has been music day for me. And I am back at it tomorrow..

Jun 19, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #11,045 of 100,230
Some impressions on sf modded corecool's.

I won't say anything about build except that it seems to be solid and metal.  The cable is quite impressive also.  Better than many in the $99 price range and on par with others.  

Bass:  With the mod, the mid-bass doesn't intrude too much into the sound.  There is some, but it didn't distract me as some other earphone have, (i.e. Hippo VB, JVC FXT-90).  Others have claimed without the mod, it's crazy insane and I know I wouldn't be able to handle it.  Sub-bass reaches deep and rumbles.  True basshead type of bass.  The recent CKS77X has this kind of bass but the corecool's hold the note longer.  I've noticed at higher volumes, the bass tends to take over and hides the midrange and treble.  At lower volumes, the bass is controlled better and can play nice with different genres of music.  

Midrange:  Vocals can take a backseat to the bass but it's mostly present.  It is not forward by any means but it is not recessed.  Voices sound smooth and there's is zero fatigue.  I can't detect any grain in the midrange.  Female vocals sound especially engaging.  Placement would be somewhere between front row and the middle of the auditorium.  

Treble:  The most confusing part of the sound for me.  I can hear the details but it doesn't have any height.  I mean there is no peak what so ever.  I would call it recessed but it is there because I can hear it.  I can't stand peaky treble but I feel that these need a little more to add some life into the sound.  Again, the details are there but it just needs some extension I guess.  

Stage:  Very wide and deep.  Well done.  It doesn't sound too grand like the Brainwavz R1 and loses the music in the environment.  

Bottom line, I actually really like the corecools.  My other experiences are the FXT-90, which had hot treble and forward midrange that didn't jive with me.  The Radius TFW21, which was a long time ago but didn't have the big bass of the corecools but I don't remember it sounding better.  I won't even mention the Brainwavz R1 because the corecools wipe the floor with them IMO.  These are a true basshead phone and worthy of the $99 price tag if you're into that type of sound.  

Jun 19, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #11,047 of 100,230
I have tried the look alike and was very impressed for the money. They have a lot of sub bass, but not as controlled as the csk99 and no where near as quick. Highs are very good but not as good as csk99. Look alike may have slightly more accurate positioning, but csk99 is more immersive. Csk99 is more detailed, natural.csk99 can be a bit hot on the treble atm - I'm hoping burn in will tame that a bit.

Jun 19, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #11,048 of 100,230
Quote:
^ oh dare. 
triportsad.gif

Yeah happy daddies day head-fi peps.

The cools does stick out and is probably not ideal for running, with etc. But since they don't isolate crazy well, they should be good for gym use. For $100 they are still a pretty good buy, but Danny said his new 77Xs are really similar to the cools, might even be better so you might want to wait it out a bit longer. They sell these cools in China for $50 USD retail so..... you do the math.

On that note i still need to contact those peps at 385, and if those $30 newegg 385s are the same as these cools, then my god they are a steal indeed.

thanks for the advice man, that was supposed to be a "do" right ? i dont run at gym i just passively lift so i guess i wont have problems with the sticking out, will root them cools from taobao, thanks again!

Jun 19, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #11,049 of 100,230
The cools are pretty light so lifting weights shouldn't be an issue.  The bass will drown out all the other noise in the gym, lol.  

I assume the CKS99's will have a more balanced sound over the 77X since the 77X's are geared for more bass.  Same goes for the corecools but with a different flavor.  But the AT's have forward midrange and more treble presence so that all depends on what the listener prefers.  

Jun 20, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #11,050 of 100,230
Just listening to Cosmic Gate, Storm Chaser posted by DS on the clone and CKS99. The amount of bass impact on the clones is unreal! There is a whoosh at 37 seconds that has real impact. - it's crisper with the Cks99, but doesn't have the slam. This isn't my normal type of music, but if I was listening to it I would want that impactful bass of the Corecool without doubt. Bear in mind I haven't done any tip rolling on the Cks99 yet.

Jun 20, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #11,051 of 100,230
Quote:
Quote:
Here they are:
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=181137426245

I'm kinda skeptical about them to be honest, I think shipping them out of Australia would be risky.

They cost 5,881 Yen from Amazon.jp

The ones in your link don't include a box or accessories, he has 400 in stock, and pickup is available from his basement.

WOW!!  You better strike while the iron is hot, I found some more that fell of a truck here!  These have sixteen 5 star votes at amazon.jp http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B000X3F6IU/

Jun 20, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #11,052 of 100,230
Quote:
The cools are pretty light so lifting weights shouldn't be an issue.  The bass will drown out all the other noise in the gym, lol.  

I assume the CKS99's will have a more balanced sound over the 77X since the 77X's are geared for more bass.  Same goes for the corecools but with a different flavor.  But the AT's have forward midrange and more treble presence so that all depends on what the listener prefers.  

That describes what I'm hearing with the Corecool clone and CKS99's, and I think the two complement each other quite well.

Jun 20, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #11,053 of 100,230
Quote:

They cost 5,881 Yen from Amazon.jp

The ones in your link don't include a box or accessories, he has 400 in stock, and pickup is available from his basement.

WOW!!  You better strike while the iron is hot, I found some more that fell of a truck here!  These have sixteen 5 star votes at amazon.jp http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B000X3F6IU/

5881 Yen is around £38. Plus tenso fees. They'll cost me twice as much with fees. You pays your money and you makes your choice. 

Jun 20, 2013 at 12:37 AM Post #11,054 of 100,230
Quote:
Some impressions on sf modded corecool's.

I won't say anything about build except that it seems to be solid and metal.  The cable is quite impressive also.  Better than many in the $99 price range and on par with others.  

Bass:  With the mod, the mid-bass doesn't intrude too much into the sound.  There is some, but it didn't distract me as some other earphone have, (i.e. Hippo VB, JVC FXT-90).  Others have claimed without the mod, it's crazy insane and I know I wouldn't be able to handle it.  Sub-bass reaches deep and rumbles.  True basshead type of bass.  The recent CKS77X has this kind of bass but the corecool's hold the note longer.  I've noticed at higher volumes, the bass tends to take over and hides the midrange and treble.  At lower volumes, the bass is controlled better and can play nice with different genres of music.  

Midrange:  Vocals can take a backseat to the bass but it's mostly present.  It is not forward by any means but it is not recessed.  Voices sound smooth and there's is zero fatigue.  I can't detect any grain in the midrange.  Female vocals sound especially engaging.  Placement would be somewhere between front row and the middle of the auditorium.  

Treble:  The most confusing part of the sound for me.  I can hear the details but it doesn't have any height.  I mean there is no peak what so ever.  I would call it recessed but it is there because I can hear it.  I can't stand peaky treble but I feel that these need a little more to add some life into the sound.  Again, the details are there but it just needs some extension I guess.  

Stage:  Very wide and deep.  Well done.  It doesn't sound too grand like the Brainwavz R1 and loses the music in the environment.  

Bottom line, I actually really like the corecools.  My other experiences are the FXT-90, which had hot treble and forward midrange that didn't jive with me.  The Radius TFW21, which was a long time ago but didn't have the big bass of the corecools but I don't remember it sounding better.  I won't even mention the Brainwavz R1 because the corecools wipe the floor with them IMO.  These are a true basshead phone and worthy of the $99 price tag if you're into that type of sound.  

WOW great impressions Danny!!! The cools bass has great rumble like the FX3Xs which was what i realized my FXZ200s didn't have. The treble lacks some extension and sparkly but i am perfectly happy with them cuz it makes it a less fatiguing listen, so yes i can totally understand how you feel about them. Besides the treble everything was exactly how i heard them.

Again great stuff meng.
beerchug.gif

Quote:
thanks for the advice man, that was supposed to be a "do" right ? i dont run at gym i just passively lift so i guess i wont have problems with the sticking out, will root them cools from taobao, thanks again!

Well these have average isolation, meaning that with them on and the music is off you can hear pretty clearly when others are talking to you, but with music on you can't hear much. That's was why i said they "don't" isolate THAT well. This seems perfect for gym use since when others talk to you, you can to hear them without having to take the iem off.

edit: oh forgot to mention that i did run with them once and they stay in really well and cable didn't much noise as well, so normal gym use should be no problem at all.

Jun 20, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #11,055 of 100,230
So let me tell you guys about them cheap out of box CKS99s. Those believe it or not are factory rejects. We went through these on the older CKS77 thread. Basically those have small cosmetic defects or were rejected for whatever the reason was and I bet they were supposed to be destroyed but why throw away perfectly good rejects.. The QC on them rejects are unknown. 

You are taking a risk. Those could be rejects because they don't meet the sound requirements for the actual CKS99. The first reject CKS77 I got sounded like poo on a stick.. The second one I got did much better..And I remember some of the other guys having issues with them as well but the people we bought them from was good about replacing them. It seems to be a grab bag when it comes to actual sound of them. .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back