The discovery thread!
Jun 19, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #11,011 of 102,578
This was going on in the MP8320 thread.. There would be either praise on how good they sound or just pure hate. No bass, too sibilant. Compared to the MP8320 having even bigger housing an driver 14.2mm.. The S2 is easier to put into the ear and hear for a longer session but they still are fairly big.

Hi Ds, I have the 8320 which my ears barely fills up. Is the housing of the Philips bigger or smaller than the 8320.

Jun 19, 2013 at 9:10 AM Post #11,012 of 102,578
Yo Deez!  Long time no see!  Did you see my post?
ksc75smile.gif

Quote:
Quote:
I read on the Fidelio S1/S2 thread someone mentioning the S2 having a bit more bass than the S1 but Joker says they are identical in sound.. Read up on these iems and read Joker review of them on innerfidelity.. For you guys that are serious about your sound. You gotta take these into consideration..Philips ain't kidding around with these at all.

These are the real deal. I think most manufactures try to have this type of sound but fall short in one way or another. Not these. These are certainly special in that they hit all that is required for a nice high end sound. Sound from in ears simply don't get much better.. These sound more like full sized headphones more than in ears to me and that says something about the mastery of tuning Philips did with these..

I do believe this is their first large dynamic..I bet you they experimented with different form factors and drivers to get this sound..The research and dedication to sound shows up in the end product..I have heard much more expensive product that don't touch these in sound ability.. Considering Philips has made so many in ears and hit some real nice gems in the SHE3580/90 and the SHE9700 that was cheap.. They really stepped it up with these and charged accordingly but these do scale in value from the cheapo SHE3580. Masterful is what I can say about them just masterful.

I wish Joe Bloggs was around. I have no idea where that guy is but he needs to hear these being the resident Philips fan..These might make him cry with joy. Lol.

Oh wait I take that back they did have a larger dynamic one of these the SHE6000

These are supposed to have a surround sound enhancement trough design like this pic here.

As gimmicky as it is...I can swear some of this tech is on the S2. Surround is a good word for how music envelops you on the S2..Fantastic earphones at any cost.

Yo Deez!  Glad to see you still here and stirring things up
ksc75smile.gif
Did you sort out the problems with your business?

These days I've sorta retreated to a skype group with people from the anime lounge
http://www.head-fi.org/t/586040/official-asian-anime-manga-and-music-lounge

I've actually heard the S2 at a local headphone expo.  To my ears, in terms of stock, unaltered sound, they did more right than, say, the UE900.  I don't like how it's bulky and open-back though when they've proved that they could make a great sounding tiny, ergonomic IEM for peanuts.  But I guess bulky and unwieldy is in vogue these days--I could barely fit the UE900 and the K3003 in my ear and my guess is the same would apply to the SE846.  If Philips put the same amount of research dough into a great phone in the SHE3580 form factor, people would probably dismiss it as not looking serious enough... argh.

What I'm missing from the SHEs is isolation.  I wish to find something that could isolate almost as much as Etymotics, while not giving me the stuffed-ear sound of the same.  Pretty tough though as I found that the open sound of the SHEs depended in part on the front vent between the driver and the ear, which prevents an airtight seal between the IEM and the ear, which incidentally also prevents driver flex.  I did try sealing that vent and isolation didn't go up significantly though, so OTOH it may be possible to increase isolation somehow with a redesign without closing the vent?
confused.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 19, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #11,014 of 102,578
Quote:
Hi Ds, I have the 8320 which my ears barely fills up. Is the housing of the Philips bigger or smaller than the 8320.

Smaller. They will fit better than the MP8320.
Quote:
Yo Deez!  Long time no see!  Did you see my post?
ksc75smile.gif

No doubt. Don't be such a stranger Joe. You know you have free reign here.

You know the S2 is surprising on how good it isolates. Well with comply tips it does. Anyway I am back in school now. I have a mid term I gotta go take.. Medical variety. I study eat study some more eat study some more sleep and start all over again.  I wish I could listen to music while I study but that don't work. I get too much into my music and forget what I was looking at. Not good. My brain don't function that way..

Jun 19, 2013 at 9:21 AM Post #11,015 of 102,578
Quote:
Glad to know that. So I'm not crazy for hearing what I'm hearing, lol

Well, I wouldn't say the treble is "unbearably" hot and spitty, but it's more treble than I like. I find the mids recessed, and if I raise the volume to hear vocals and mids better, the treble gets too strong for my taste.

Bass is fast and tight, there's a good amount of it.

And yeah, I do get a good seal with the Active Complys. The S2 fits wonderfully.

It's an entertaining IEM, but as I said in the Fidelio S1 and S2 thread, I still prefer the Senn IE8.

Jun 19, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #11,016 of 102,578
I read that. I sense that you prefer a warmer fuller sound. The S2s being a more neutral flavor they will have less coloration..You prefer bigger bass as well which adds to male vocals and fullness of what you hear...The CKS1000 sounds like your type of phone.

I like all sorts of flavors. I don't discriminate.. It has to be good though.

Jun 19, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #11,017 of 102,578
Quote:
Yeah I knew that... but none of the included tips work for me... so I'm going to have to buy some other tips to try.

I did not manage to get a good fit with the included tips either. Sony hybrids did the trick for me.

The treble on my S2 is nowhere near harsh so I also suggest playing around with different tips. I also get the best feeling wearing them over ear but they work fine straight down as well.

Jun 19, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #11,019 of 102,578
Quote:
I wish I could listen to music while I study but that don't work. I get too much into my music and forget what I was looking at. Not good. My brain don't function that way..

A solution might be to get some cheap and less engaging IEMs lol
tongue.gif

Jun 19, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #11,020 of 102,578
Quote:
Dude, you again failed to take a joke... Cheer up, jeez.

Whole world isn't in nuclear apocalypse.

You have to admit though, there are people here with that mentality. Joker's been praising these for a good while now, then suddenly the Nutman hypes them and it's OMG I have to get them! No offence to DS of course, but I've gone along with his hype a couple of times and been disappointed.

Jun 19, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #11,022 of 102,578
Hi there!!!  glad to see some of you people still around.  DS like always spreading the good news of cheap and good stuff.
Thay guy Wayne from Canada still here or did whe loose him?  
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
     Wayne, give em an update!! something better than my beloved S500 plisss!!!

I decided to spend some time on my home system and thearter system, so i took a vacation from the forum, but i am back again,  any one care to give me an update? last time y checked this thread i was on page  500
biggrin.gif
   j/k

See, all you can buy if you want and dont spend so many money on headphones?   yeaaa.!!!  
biggrin.gif

Technics

Jun 19, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #11,023 of 102,578
Quote:
You have to admit though, there are people here with that mentality. Joker's been praising these for a good while now, then suddenly the Nutman hypes them and it's OMG I have to get them! No offence to DS of course, but I've gone along with his hype a couple of times and been disappointed.

Yeah, same happened with me a couple of times too.

One time was the Brainwavz R1 hype, really didin't impress me at all.

Jun 19, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #11,025 of 102,578
Listening to the new Sigur Ros album on my AD900x. Ugh! So beautiful! ;_; Such a beautiful, natural tone these headphones have - plus DAT SOUNDSTAGE + IMAGING. Just crazy good.
Hoping my new Fidelio S2's will blow me away in a similar fashion :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back