The discovery thread!
Feb 28, 2012 at 3:11 AM Post #1,066 of 104,188
Quote:
Hi guys.  The SHH3580 cable is little different from the SHE3580 one other than that it is one thicker round cable below the Y-split (rather than two thin cables joined together).  I don't remember well how the cable was out of the packaging but now it is quite straight and well-behaved.  As for microphonics... either I haven't owned a pair with low microphonics or I don't know what you guys are talking about.  I thump the cable on any of my phones and I hear a thump... about as loud with any IEM I tried.  The difference I believe lies in how easy it is to thump the cable.  Here a lightweight cable is less likely to cause hard thumps and the SHE/SHH3580 cable is lightweight.  But out of the box they're also curly and springy, which might cause the cable to more easily brush up against stuff and generate microphonics.  Here you need to break in the cable... just use the phones regularly and the cable will become straight and well-behaved.

As for the sound signature the SHE3580 is more V-shaped than the SHH3580.  The bass and midrange on the SHH3580 are about perfectly balanced with still a tad more treble than the rest of the spectrum... to my ears anyway, but I'm oversensitive to treble.  They're certainly not as trebly as say the Etys.  Anyway the mids and vocals sound more proper on the SHH3580 than just about any phones I have tried.  But their bass is understandably not as impressive as the SHE3580.

Hope that helps!

Cheers mate...helped allot, is the SHE3575 the miced version of the SHE3580?

Feb 28, 2012 at 4:02 AM Post #1,067 of 104,188
I don't think there's any such thing as a SHE3580 replica with mic... here's a post I dug up about the SHE3575:

Quote:
I just picked up the a pair of the SHE-3580s and SHE-3575 with the mix.  I figured they would be the exact same except one with the mic.  I just tested both of them, and let me tell you, right out of the packaging, the 3580s sound WAY better than the 3575.  The 3575s are lacking in the bass dept IMO.  

Mainly listening to drum n bass atm.  I think I am going to let the 3575s settle in and see if the bass gets any bigger.

I don't know if that means the 3575 sounds like the SHH3580 (less bass than SHE3580) and he just happens to prefer the SHE3580 sound, or that the 3575 really sounds worse than both the SHE3580 and SHH3580.  I guess we won't know unless I pick up a SHE3575 too
tongue.gif

You could also try the SHE8005, which also sound kind of like the SHE3580, except with more bass bleed into the lower midrange.  It also comes with new tips (less comfy for me, but with more "support" for those who complained about that on the old Philips tips) and has a somewhat weighty button / analog volume controller at the Y-split which weighs down the cable and makes an over-the-ear fit very secure even when walking around vigorously (haven't tried running though).

Oh, and all the Philips headsets work on the iPhone by default but also come with an adapter to work on Nokia, Samsung and Sony Ericsson phones, which are apparently incompatible with the others.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Feb 28, 2012 at 5:05 AM Post #1,068 of 104,188
Just want to let you know that my Philips SHE3580s died after barely 2 months of daily use. The cable went bad, it would lose sound constantly based on the position of the cables. The sound quality was good (at least with EQ to reduce the treble and bass) while it lasted but the cable quality is dismal. Very bad microphonics and breaks quickly. I stuff my earphones in my pocket quickly which could contribute to the breakage but I treated my Koss KSC75 the same way and the cable is fine even after more than a year of use.

I am considering buying the Audio-Technica ATH-CKM50 to replace the Phillips since I'd like something that would match my Audio-Technica ATH-M50s.

Feb 28, 2012 at 9:39 AM Post #1,069 of 104,188
I broke my Etys 4 times (that people say are built like a tank) and have been using the Philips a whole year without problems.  Just goes to show that there's truly no accounting for individual variation
rolleyes.gif
  Perhaps I treat cables well and it is other aspects that tend to break down on me.  I always gently wind the cable into a coil before putting it away (just in any old pocket) and if the cables still get tangled when I take them out again I don't try to force them apart.  FYI the CKM50's (which I also have) cable appears quite similar to the SHH3580 in size and shape but at least it doesn't come pre-wrinkled in the box and there's more strain relief which might make the difference.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Feb 28, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #1,070 of 104,188

Quote:
You could also try the SHE8005, which also sound kind of like the SHE3580, except with more bass bleed into the lower midrange.  It also comes with new tips (less comfy for me, but with more "support" for those who complained about that on the old Philips tips) and has a somewhat weighty button / analog volume controller at the Y-split which weighs down the cable and makes an over-the-ear fit very secure even when walking around vigorously (haven't tried running though).

Ill have a look thanks mate! 

Still really really interested if anyone has had an encounter with both the id America Spark and the Philips SHE3580 or SHH3580, may have to pull the plug on the sparks :wink:

Feb 28, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #1,071 of 104,188
hey Dsnut's Do you have like a Ranking for all these wonderful Budget Fi headphones??? MP8320<SHE3850<CKM33<CKM50<Thermaltake Isurus<CKM77?
I'm looking to buy some headphones for my birthday on friday, and i want to know which would be the best for me. You can count out the MP8320 and SHE3850 as i already purchased both today. I listen to K-POP and J-Rock. My emphasis is on female vocals...

Feb 28, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #1,072 of 104,188

Quote:
hey Dsnut's Do you have like a Ranking for all these wonderful Budget Fi headphones??? MP8320<SHE3850<CKM33<CKM50<Thermaltake Isurus<CKM77?
I'm looking to buy some headphones for my birthday on friday, and i want to know which would be the best for me. You can count out the MP8320 and SHE3850 as i already purchased both today. I listen to K-POP and J-Rock. My emphasis is on female vocals...

Well for vocal music hmm while the CKM77s are not a budget iem they will completely own the rest of the field so far as vocals go. But if you want one with a bassier presentation the CKS77s..

The CKS77s are easier to listen to as they are very musical.. Think of them as a higher end version of the SHE3580 but with bigger thicker wider stage, higher end clarity and detail with a very nice balance for a bassy iem.
The CKM77s have the most detail and the highs are as defined as the CKS77s is with the bass. So it depends on your sound preference.

The CKM77 is more a neutral flavor and can be a bit bright on some tracks depending on recordings. the CKS77s is more a bassier full sounding iem but doesn't lack in anything.
Treat yourself to a nice higher end earphone either one of these will throw a smile on your face.

Now if you dont have enough to get one of these higher end phones CKM77 and CKS77s the cheaper alternative to these 2 would be the Isurus to the CKM77. And the CKM50 is to the CKS77s.

The isurus is like a less refined CKM77
The CKM50 is like a less refined CKS77..    

Feb 29, 2012 at 10:56 AM Post #1,075 of 104,188
How does the Klipsche Image S4 compare with the SHH3580?

Also is the quantity of bass that different between the SHH3580 and SHE3580 and CKM50?

Thanks all!

Feb 29, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #1,076 of 104,188

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I'm bought the Isurus from ebay for $25. Your threads made me purchase 3 IEMS today haha
gs1000.gif
 Also should i buy some aftermarket tips?I was thinking of Sony Hybrids, or do you have another suggestion Dsnuts??

Sony hybrids work. Anything that has a smaller sound hole than the original tips. I am using these on them now.  These are generic foams you can buy off of Amazon. Just type earphone tips and you get these. These tips are very similar to complys and work just like them but will cost less money. Try some of your tips you have on hand first.

Quote:
Just ordered isurus today..it'll be arriving after 2 days(hopefully) then the burn in begins :)

Happy listening. Let us know what you think of them..These need a nice long burn but tips help balance the sound more so than burn does.

Quote:

Also is the quantity of bass that different between the SHH3580 and SHE3580 and CKM50?

Thanks all!

Can't speak for the S4 but from what I understand those are bit overrated is what I am seeing here on headfi. So far as bass goes I can vouch for the SHE3580 and CKM50. Both have excellent bass. I wouldn't consider them bass head levels but what is there is very satisfactory to a bass lover. They both eq really well and you can throw on even more bass.

Feb 29, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #1,077 of 104,188
I found the Audio-Technica CKS77 on ebay for only $52:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Genuine-Audio-Technica-ATH-CKS77S-Black-Solid-Bass-Inner-Ear-Headphones-black-/160701107894?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item256a884eb6

It comes without packaging, would that increase the likelihood if it being a fake?

Feb 29, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #1,078 of 104,188

Quote:
I found the Audio-Technica CKS77 on ebay for only $52:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Genuine-Audio-Technica-ATH-CKS77S-Black-Solid-Bass-Inner-Ear-Headphones-black-/160701107894?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item256a884eb6
It comes without packaging, would that increase the likelihood if it being a fake?

Ya be very wary about those.. No packaging yet new? Considering these AT earphones were made in China. Those could be originals but with a slight issue. They could be manufactured rejects. From what I understand factories that produce earphones for the big companies might have a reject bin where they try n recycle parts of rejected product but end up in the black market where the sell them off for cheaper. They could sound just like my retail version but might have a slight defect somewhere. As far as I know there is no such thing as a NEW earphone out of box. This seller in particular specializes in these open boxed products and they all happen to be AT? Sketchy.

Mar 1, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #1,079 of 104,188

Quote:

Thanks all!

Here's all anyone can wish for regarding comparison between the three models--frequency response graphs
ksc75smile.gif

SHE3580 (red) vs CKM50 (black)

SHE3580 (red) vs SHH3580 (black)

I generated these frequency response plots by my two-EQs in series process: one EQ to compensate for my hearing's equal loudness curve and another EQ to make all tones sound as loud while playing with Sinegen.  The plots are the inverse of my final EQ settings--I EQ to try to make all phones have the sound signature and pretty much succeeds.

So you can see the three phones all have a V-shaped FR to my ears, but CKM50>SHE3580>SHH3580 in V-shape.  Also the SHH3580 has significantly less bass, especially subbass.  But if I were forced to listen to music without EQ, I'd choose the SHH3580 out of the three phones.  With EQ I think SHE3580>SHH3580>CKM50, because (1) the SHE3580 has more bass reserves than the SHH3580, (2) the CKM50 is less comfortable on my ears than the others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back