The discovery thread!
Mar 14, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #8,071 of 102,891
Quote:

edit: WoW sweet all those Onkyo gear comes with detachable cables?!!!  ATH need to really implement this into their cans man, though it can be overlooked for their great sound but still non-detachable cables are so out of style these days esp. for portable headphones. 

AFAIK only Audio-Technica's CK100Pro comes equipped with removable cable (MMCX based). It's not compatible with other MMCX-based removable cable system such as UE900 or Shure SE series though due to the reversed cable/socket connectors, which is pretty silly.

No word yet on how the Onkyo goodies sounds so far, but if they sounds good, they'll be quite a good deal considering the prices.

Mar 14, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #8,072 of 102,891
Well i am not sure what you are looking for in a iem, but for me my FX3Xs is great for the gym/ biking/ so it's just fun but not for serious listening. Their highs have a nice lil' sparkle to them with pretty good mids and great bass/ sub bass rumble. But i imagine the FXD80s are a lot better if you want a set for serious listening. People wrote that they also have great bass quantity and quality as well as extended highs, and the only negative is the somewhat recessed mids??? Even if this was the case, i am sure the mids on them are better than that of the FX3X since they are a "bass" iem afterall.

This head-fer is selling his set for a pretty good price, so you might want to ask if he wants to do a trade/ $$$ or something. But it is up to you.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/641513/jvc-ha-fxd80-z-price-dropped-16th-feb-to-40-inc-uk-postage

Good luck man!!!

All I'm looking for is something that has a Y-Cord and better sound to suit the music I listen to (Mostly bass heavy but also listen to K-Pop and violin music). I just want something more premium in sound and build quality to the FX101s.

It'd be sweet if I could get the CKN70s recabled to have a Y-Cord but I can't do it, don't know anyone nearby that can and how much it is going to set me back are all factors that make it pretty implausible.

Mar 14, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #8,074 of 102,891
@ Mackem

BUT........ the head-fier that sold his CKN70s to me wrote this in our discussion: (hope is he cool with me posting this)

"I don't think the sibilance is ever going to go away on the ckn70's.. That's the reason I sold them.. It's just far too present at higher levels to disappear.. And I saw a few others say it's still there after a while so I have no qualms with giving up early on them.. This is my description of the fxd80s - impactful bass slightly recessed mids and present highs that are on the right side of bright.. They have a huge sound stage and imaging on them is ridiculous.. They aren't a full sound though so if you need a full sound they won't fit that bill.. I eventually sold them because I don't like recessed mids and I do like some fullness to my sound"

I thought i was over the FXD80 train but after reading what he said it made me put them back on my wishlist. haha DAMN IT!!!

Its okay dude. You really don't need the FXD80s. They sound extremely close to the S500s whole being an IEM. That being said, I like the CKN70s better.

Mar 14, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #8,075 of 102,891
Quote:
All I'm looking for is something that has a Y-Cord and better sound to suit the music I listen to (Mostly bass heavy but also listen to K-Pop and violin music). I just want something more premium in sound and build quality to the FX101s.

It'd be sweet if I could get the CKN70s recabled to have a Y-Cord but I can't do it, don't know anyone nearby that can and how much it is going to set me back are all factors that make it pretty implausible.

How about the Sony XB90EX? I was interested in those myself but opted for the CKN70's in the end.

Oh, btw, do you guys know what 'Retention' order status means? Here is my order progression:

Mar 8
18:30
Posting/Collection   TOKYO INTERNATIONAL Tokyo metropolis
138-8799
Mar 8
20:50
Arrival at outward office of exchange   TOKYO INTERNATIONAL Tokyo metropolis
138-8799
Mar 8
21:22
Dispatch from outward office of exchange   TOKYO INTERNATIONAL Tokyo metropolis
138-8799
Mar 10
19:12
Arrival at inward office of exchange   COVENTRY PARCELFORCE UNITED KINGDOM

Mar 10
19:22
Awaiting presentation to customs commissioner   COVENTRY PARCELFORCE UNITED KINGDOM

Mar 10
19:23
Awaiting presentation to customs commissioner   COVENTRY PARCELFORCE UNITED KINGDOM

Mar 13
2:56
Departure from inward office of exchange   COVENTRY PARCELFORCE UNITED KINGDOM

Mar 14
0:32
Processing at delivery Post Office   P21971 UNITED KINGDOM

Mar 14 Retention     UNITED KINGDOM

Mar 14, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #8,076 of 102,891
Quote:
How about the Sony XB90EX? I was interested in those myself but opted for the CKN70's in the end.

Oh, btw, do you guys know what 'Retention' order status means? Here is my order progression:

Mar 8
138-8799
Mar 8
138-8799
Mar 8
138-8799
Mar 10

Mar 10

Mar 10

Mar 13

Mar 14

Not quite sure about the XB90EX; I'll see if there are any more suggestions in the next two days or so.

Mar 14, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #8,077 of 102,891
Quote:

Mar 8
138-8799
Mar 8
138-8799
Mar 8
138-8799
Mar 10

Mar 10

Mar 10

Mar 13

Mar 14

it means your package is in customs, and they're filling out the form for the customs bill. whether you want to go pick it up yourself or wait is up to you. if you were in the U.S., it would get held up in customs 3-4 days, and then the local mail courier would drop it off.

Mar 14, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #8,078 of 102,891
Came across this IEM/headphones magazine. Written by a prestigious Japanese award organization called the VGP. The XB90EX seem very solid, they are ranked above the TDK IE800. I'm not sure if everything is ranked by sound quality or item value, though. Also note they split everything up into price ranges first, so there's no telling whether something in one bracket beats something in another bracket.

Mar 14, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #8,079 of 102,891
Guys, I know I'm beating a dead horse but the XBA-40's are one hell of a deal for $200.

I built my CmoyBB to pair it with and holy crap I almost shat my pants.

I sometimes can't believe what i hear.

Mar 14, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #8,080 of 102,891
Quote:
Guys, I know I'm beating a dead horse but the XBA-40's are one hell of a deal for $200.

Hows the bass???
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 14, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #8,082 of 102,891
Quote:

Quote:
Hows the bass???
very_evil_smiley.gif

The man isn't full of it.  It seriously sounds awesome.  The bass is very good.  

Mar 14, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #8,083 of 102,891
Quote:

The man isn't full of it.  It seriously sounds awesome.  The bass is very good.  

When you get those XBAs Danny, the latest version i meant. ALL aboard the XBA hype train!!!
triportsad.gif

edit: The million dollar question Danny, do they blow these ath ckn70s outta the water as jigggaman claims??? You don't have to be gentle i can take it like a mon.

Mar 14, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #8,084 of 102,891
Quote:
When you get those XBAs Danny, the latest version i meant. ALL aboard the XBA hype train!!!
triportsad.gif

Just a few days ago.  Wanted to compare it against the xba-3's.  Will be receiving the xba-30's in a few days.  Since I love the 3's so much, I had to find out if the 30's or 40's will prevail.  I'm not right in the head when it comes to this audio curiosity.  Thanks to Ds's influence, I'll be receiving the Audinst MX2 tomorrow too.  

Mar 14, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #8,085 of 102,891
Quote:
Just a few days ago.  Wanted to compare it against the xba-3's.  Will be receiving the xba-30's in a few days.  Since I love the 3's so much, I had to find out if the 30's or 40's will prevail.  I'm not right in the head when it comes to this audio curiosity.  Thanks to Ds's influence, I'll be receiving the Audinst MX2 tomorrow too.  

This is head-fi Danny, you play and pay hard or go home.
biggrin.gif
You are the sane one, while we are just the hungry piranhas drooling like a bunch of looney bins. heeee

Users who are viewing this thread

Back