The discovery thread!
Jan 31, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #6,706 of 100,404
Quote:
Knowing cute "STEP THREE" would probably requires some fancy custom re-cables or a extension to get it to S500 killer levels.

You lost me on "STEP FOUR" Profit??? As in yeah baby, i scored big by getting these "Giant Killers", saved me some serious Cha Ching$$$s!!! Profit BABY!!!
biggrin.gif

It's a South Park reference/internet meme.

But yeah. I can't say for certain how it compares to the cute-modded HA-S500s, but I can say that without any mods (other than the pad swap) the EFi-82 MT dominates the Brainwavz HM5. Seeing that the Brainwavz HM5 has been said to be a poor man's HD600, and that the Somics completely destroy them, it's pretty amazing sounding as-is.

Profit means that you don't have to spend $100 on these $40 headphones to make them sound awesome, but if you want to, that's A-OK!

Jan 31, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #6,708 of 100,404
  1. [img]http://cdn.head-fi.org/d/d2/100x100px-LS-d233d3de_0000.png[/img]
  1. NinjaCat
  2. badge_headfier.v1353970028.png
  4. online
  1. 42 Posts. Joined 12/2009

Profit as in I might as well sell of my more expensive headphones because these are better 
o2smile.gif

Seriously my used to be main headphones the ATH-M50 are collecting dust now. 

Oh, right. I can sell my other headphones because the EFis are better. I could then use that money to buy headphones from other awesome looking Chinese manufacturers like ISK. (hint, hint, cough, cough, next thing I'm looking at, hint, hint, cough, cough)

Seriously. I have been thinking about selling my M50s for about 9 months now. Pretty crazy the kinds of stuff everyone here at the Discovery Thread is able to find and how it can outperform things like the M50 at 1/5 (or less, sometimes) of the cost.
Quote:
I might need to get the 840 pads for my Somics then, I'm holding off on leaving impressions because I'm currently changing my audio setup. Finally got a cable to connect my Vintage Stereo Receiver/Amp to my ELEs and it definitely improves the sound of the ELEs. 

Well, the 840 pads will definitely help improve bass response and soundstage. Also, ELEs, plural? You have several? Cool!

Quote:

Well I for one don't believe for one second that you're only 16! No bloody way lol! Cheers to you, cash!
beerchug.gif

Thanks! Also, If you want me to ship you my EFis for a little while for you to audition them (before you cave to peer pressure 
wink_face.gif
), I'd totally be cool with that, but the postage would probably cost more than the headphones. xD.

Feb 1, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #6,710 of 100,404
Quote:
@Cash
Welp, the S500 already seem to best the m50s as many m50 owners have reported and you say that these Somic MTs are even better than the S500s, you don't have to do the math or be a genius boi wonder to figure it out. I would sell those M50s ASAP before noobs like me caught wind of it. OOOPs already too late.
tongue_smile.gif

Yeah. It's not even close. I think I'm gonna have to clean house pretty soon (not that that's an issue.).

Anyway, I present to you...ISK.

They look legit (see the stuff on the bottom). 

Here's how I take it:

If a company is making headphones in China, a nation with very lax intellectual property laws, most companies that are looking to make a quick buck will probably make counterfeit Beats...not 120 Ohm headphones with 53mm drivers.

I want to buy one of their headphones in the near future (saving up here and there + selling stuff I don't use anymore). Which one looks best?

Feb 1, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #6,711 of 100,404
Quote:
Yeah. It's not even close. I think I'm gonna have to clean house pretty soon (not that that's an issue.).

Anyway, I present to you...ISK.

They look legit (see the stuff on the bottom). 

Here's how I take it:

If a company is making headphones in China, a nation with very lax intellectual property laws, most companies that are looking to make a quick buck will probably make counterfeit Beats...not 120 Ohm headphones with 53mm drivers.

I want to buy one of their headphones in the near future (saving up here and there + selling stuff I don't use anymore). Which one looks best?

By this time we all already know that Cash is a undercover Chinese secret agent that is trying to infiltrate America one headphone at a time. The Cs in CashNotCredit stands for Communist Cans.
tongue_smile.gif
And yes i want some of them ISK CCs!

Edit: hmmm some of them look a lot like these "Takstars/ Geminis"
http://www.head-fi.org/t/585356/the-takstar-technical-pro-gemini-greathon-thread

Feb 1, 2013 at 12:51 AM Post #6,712 of 100,404
Quote:
I'm either considering those Somics, or the DT770 Pro 80,
Which would be better, if purely chosen by sound?
Are there better options other than the DT770 for the price?
I'm so sorry for asking for recommendations from here, its just I haven't been able to decide on a headphone just yet,
Remember this will be runnign solely out of my computer, and ipod.

Sorry, and thank you

Beyerdynamic AE, COP
AT ES700
or Somics
or something else.  

Feb 1, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #6,713 of 100,404
Quote:
By this time we all already know that Cash is a undercover Chinese secret agent that is trying to infiltrate America one headphone at a time. The Cs in CashNotCredit stands for Communist Cans.
tongue_smile.gif
And yes i want some of them ISK CCs!

Edit: hmmm some of them look a lot like these "Takstars/ Geminis"
http://www.head-fi.org/t/585356/the-takstar-technical-pro-gemini-greathon-thread

Hah! When they're this cheap and sound this nice, I don't care where they come from. Somic showed me that a well-made headphone can come from just about anywhere (read: anywhere that is not a Soul Electronics factory). 

Anyway, I wonder if Joe Bloggs has gotten to hear these. Probably not, but he has a better shot at an audition than I do, seeing that he was able to audition the Somics and all.

Takstar gets a lot of love around these parts, so that'd be a good thing. I'm looking at the HP-3000 (flagship?), the HF-2010 (open back!), the HP980, and the HP800 (120 Ohms? Craziness).

Feb 1, 2013 at 1:23 AM Post #6,714 of 100,404
Quote:
Hah! When they're this cheap and sound this nice, I don't care where they come from. Somic showed me that a well-made headphone can come from just about anywhere (read: anywhere that is not a Soul Electronics factory). 

Anyway, I wonder if Joe Bloggs has gotten to hear these. Probably not, but he has a better shot at an audition than I do, seeing that he was able to audition the Somics and all.

Takstar gets a lot of love around these parts, so that'd be a good thing. I'm looking at the HP-3000 (flagship?), the HF-2010 (open back!), the HP980, and the HP800 (120 Ohms? Craziness).

Supposedly the Takstar/ HF-2010, etc are the same or similar headphones. It seem to all come from the same chinese OEM but are just re-branded/ named differently.

Man i just got my Somic MH462s today and they are pretty good. Still cooking them in for now and will give them some more ear time later this week. More to come! Their built is pretty badass/ tough looking. But damn they are pretty heavy plus that longggg cable is not cool.

Feb 1, 2013 at 1:46 AM Post #6,715 of 100,404
Alright, it does sound like a bit of a deal to get both, the somics, the ele dac, and of course the Shure 840 earpads.
Just a question for those with the somics, how's the soundstage on them? I'm not a heavy gamer, but i do some gaming from time to time, I was wondering whether it would be good for this?
It's not essential, I just wouldn't mind having the option there for me.
Cheers!

Feb 1, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #6,716 of 100,404
Quote:
Alright, it does sound like a bit of a deal to get both, the somics, the ele dac, and of course the Shure 840 earpads.
Just a question for those with the somics, how's the soundstage on them? I'm not a heavy gamer, but i do some gaming from time to time, I was wondering whether it would be good for this?
It's not essential, I just wouldn't mind having the option there for me.
Cheers!

Yeah.

The soundstage is their main selling point.

It doesn't disappoint.

They have a wider soundstage than my Pioneer Monitor 10s.

The Pioneer Monitor 10s are supposed to have one of the biggest soundstages of any headphone...ever.

I just played Skyrim on them today. Fricking. Nuts.

Feb 1, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #6,717 of 100,404
Quote:
Yeah.

The soundstage is their main selling point.

It doesn't disappoint.

They have a wider soundstage than my Pioneer Monitor 10s.

The Pioneer Monitor 10s are supposed to have one of the biggest soundstages of any headphone...ever.

I just played Skyrim on them today. Fricking. Nuts.

Wow, sounds like something I have to get...
for sound positioning does it do well in that?
Say if i decide to play games like BF3 or the call of duty games, would that work well?

I appreciate the responses, its helping me out haha!
I may end up clicking that "buy now" button real soon!

Feb 1, 2013 at 2:04 AM Post #6,718 of 100,404
Quote:
Wow, sounds like something I have to get...
for sound positioning does it do well in that?
Say if i decide to play games like BF3 or the call of duty games, would that work well?

I appreciate the responses, its helping me out haha!
I may end up clicking that "buy now" button real soon!

It's an omen.

You should buy...now.

Positioning is crazy good. I'd go about it in more detail, but everyone who's posted impressions spent a good two sentences or more raving about the soundstage and positioning. For everything this headphone does well (hint: everything), the soundstage and positioning are what it does best. They're semi-open, so they leak a bit, but it makes the soundstage and positioning so great (less resonances in the earcups! Woot!), that it's perfect for staying home and listening to tunes + gaming. Besides, they're so ugly that 90% of the dignified population wouldn't wear them in public.

The other 10% are called Head-Fiers.

Feb 1, 2013 at 2:10 AM Post #6,719 of 100,404
Quote:
It's an omen.

You should buy...now.

Positioning is crazy good. I'd go about it in more detail, but everyone who's posted impressions spent a good two sentences or more raving about the soundstage and positioning. For everything this headphone does well (hint: everything), the soundstage and positioning are what it does best. They're semi-open, so they leak a bit, but it makes the soundstage and positioning so great (less resonances in the earcups! Woot!), that it's perfect for staying home and listening to tunes + gaming. Besides, they're so ugly that 90% of the dignified population wouldn't wear them in public.

The other 10% are called Head-Fiers.

It definitely is!
Ok so just before I lunge in, which is better the HM5 pads or the Shure ones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back