The discovery thread!
Jan 31, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #6,691 of 100,404
Quote:
With the Shure 840 pads, the Somic EFi-82 has arrived!

Out of the box, these Somics did not impress. They were too forward in the mids and a bit too lacking in bass for my taste. After burning in for about 100 hours, they were somewhat better, but still not enjoyable. Today, a nice little box from Amazon showed up in the mail with the Shure 840 pads. And the difference is astounding! The bass is full and deep and the mids have receded. And these pads are much more comfortable than the terrible RED ones! lol  I have been listening for a few hours today, and am really enjoying my Somic/840s.

FYI, I do not have what might be called "golden ears" and my experience with headphones is quite limited. I have never before had the opportunity to listen to music through full-sized headphones. For the past year, the Monster Miles Davis Tributes have been my main headphone. Very big bass, very lush mid range and very smooth. However, they are tuned for intimate jazz performances, not a very accurate sound stage, but quite involving. Some call them "Romantic" and I do not disagree. My amp is a Little Dot 1+, usually with Mullard cv4015 tubes, but for the last few days I have been getting reacquainted with the Northern Electric 408A.

So, coming to these with a tube amp and ears accustomed to the Monsters, the Somic/840 sounds very good to my ears. I have absolutely no regrets and I recommend the Somic/840 without hesitation.

But again, as my experience is very limited, I am patiently waiting to read the impressions of our "gold eared' colleagues.

I have to agree with the Shure 840 pads.....initially on open box I tried them, and there was too much bass for me.  I then went to HM5 pads, which actually fit a lot better.  Then back the the Shure 840 pads, beautiful sounds coming out with a huge soundstage, detail, clarity, vocals, imaging, all very good!

I had the AD900X here to compare at the same time.....sold the AD900X last night in favor of keeping the Somic's, which imo have a much more natural sound that what i was hearing from the AD900X.  So as far as I am concerned consider the Somic's are mid-fi capable!

Jan 31, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #6,692 of 100,404
I am glad you was able to get rid of it so quick. Doesn't surprise. Hope the guy that just bought them from you at least finishes burn in.

I am looking forward to trying out them Somics. Looks like I will be able to hear both cans.

Jan 31, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #6,693 of 100,404
I think you are going to like the Somic's, get some Shure 840 pads, after 100hrs you won't believe it.  The AD900X had over 80hrs burn in plus listening time.  Big soundstage, and to these ears not natural sounds coming out.  The Somic's sound natural right out of the box, just some bass that needed burn in time.  ATH house sound has failed me twice, AD900X, and W1000X modded, and both times they were beaten by a cheaper HP, S500, and Somic.  Prolly the higher end AD2000X, would be better, but I lack the funds for those.  I purchased a pair of Sennheiser HD600's, I may like the neutral open back sound of those, for $299 new!  I tried all of my sources with the AD900X, my Denon 4010 has some pretty high quality Burr Brown 1796 DAC's, and my Pioneer Elite DVD 48 CD player is no slouch either.  The sound from the Denon is very close to my computer gears, throught the same tube amp......I tried to like the AD900X, but the sound was not natural out of any of my gears.  Don't know what it was, just too smooth and laid back, and the air just thinned out the instraments too much!  Oh well, they had a chance!  lol

Jan 31, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #6,694 of 100,404
Quote:
I am glad you was able to get rid of it so quick. Doesn't surprise. Hope the guy that just bought them from you at least finishes burn in.

I am looking forward to trying out them Somics. Looks like I will be able to hear both cans.

Forgot to mention, the Somic's are officially Cute S500 killers................

The guy that bought my AD900X purchased my fully Cute modded S500's a few days before, interesting to hear what he thinks of the S500's!

Jan 31, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #6,695 of 100,404
Quote:

Proper burn in?

(joking, of course!)

Anyway, I'm glad to hear so many people enjoy the Somics with the 840 pads! To be honest though, I would kill for an AD900X (ok, maybe not a human....but a small animal or something.) . Nuts knows what he's talking about, so I'm sure they're pretty awesome.

Still, these things are for real, so I'm glad people are satisfied. It's pretty crazy that this many people bought a headphone this obscure on the word of a 16 year-old kid with not-much experience, so thanks a bunch, everyone! Hopefully, the shipping is quick and everyone can post their impressions soon.

Originally Posted by cute /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The guy that bought my AD900X purchased my fully Cute modded S500's a few days before, interesting to hear what he thinks of the S500's!

Woah.
eek.gif

Woah.
eek.gif

Woah.
eek.gif

Did I just read that?

Craziness.

Jan 31, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #6,696 of 100,404
here´s a new ´discovery´ ?? 
confused_face_2.gif
 a XBA-4... fake 
biggrin.gif

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SONY-XBA-4SL-QUAD-BALANCED-AMATURE-In-Ear-Headphones-Bargain-Starting-Price-/111006959006?pt=UK_AudioVisualElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Headphones&hash=item19d887c59e

Jan 31, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #6,697 of 100,404
Still, these things are for real, so I'm glad people are satisfied. It's pretty crazy that this many people bought a headphone this obscure on the word of a 16 year-old kid with not-much experience, so thanks a bunch, everyone! Hopefully, the shipping is quick and everyone can post their impressions soon.

Well I for one don't believe for one second that you're only 16! No bloody way lol! Cheers to you, cash!
beerchug.gif

Jan 31, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #6,700 of 100,404
I might need to get the 840 pads for my Somics then, I'm holding off on leaving impressions because I'm currently changing my audio setup. Finally got a cable to connect my Vintage Stereo Receiver/Amp to my ELEs and it definitely improves the sound of the ELEs. 

Jan 31, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #6,701 of 100,404
Big thanks to this thread and DsNuts.

Received my JVC FX40's today. Out of the box, its really clear to see what others have said. They have harsh highs. No question they need solid burn in time to even out. Will be following what Dsnuts said and give them a thorough burn in with Drum N Bass, mixed in with some white/pink/brown noise. 

Alittle upset they came with one of the shells a bit dinged up. Nothing major, so I wont return them (not worth it on a $15 IEM). They work perfectly fine anyway.

Jan 31, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #6,702 of 100,404
I'm either considering those Somics, or the DT770 Pro 80,
Which would be better, if purely chosen by sound?
Are there better options other than the DT770 for the price?
I'm so sorry for asking for recommendations from here, its just I haven't been able to decide on a headphone just yet,
Remember this will be runnign solely out of my computer, and ipod.

Sorry, and thank you

Jan 31, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #6,703 of 100,404
Quote:

Ok, cute time to come clean. Give me the entire load down on what you did to those Somic MTs that made them sound so GODLY SPECTACULAR??? I want all the details and your entire mod in full. Most of ALL PICS NOW! Give it to me baby, i can handle it!!!

And who is this mystery lover, i mean buyer of yours??? Damn it, i hate him, he be stealing all my chances of owning a lovely cute creation!!! I see how it is cute, you got no love for sf. T_T  Show yourself you big spender, cuz i want to hear your impressions on cute's modded set of S500s so bad, damn that thirst is acting up again.
triportsad.gif

BTW your daughter still not back home yet??? Heard the supposed snow storm was just some light snow, no?

Jan 31, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #6,704 of 100,404
Quote:
I'm either considering those Somics, or the DT770 Pro 80,
Which would be better, if purely chosen by sound?
Are there better options other than the DT770 for the price?
I'm so sorry for asking for recommendations from here, its just I haven't been able to decide on a headphone just yet,
Remember this will be runnign solely out of my computer, and ipod.

Sorry, and thank you

Don't apologize! Umm...if you're just going to go out of your computer/iPod, I'd probably lean Somics, just because an 80 Ohm headphone will probably be a bit hard to get to acceptable volumes out of an iPod. (I've never heard the DT770 Pro 80s, so I don't know about their sensitivity.) However, they are semi-open, so they do leak a little bit of sound.

Also, if you're getting a Somic, there's no reason not to get an ELE DAC for $20. Between the Somics, the 840 pads, and the ELE, you'll still be saving over $100 over the DT770, but I'm not 100% sure if they sound as good, seeing as I've never heard the 770.

Still, I like them a lot more than most of my other upper-entry-level phones (Uptown, M50, Brainwavz HM5), so they're probably competitive, if not, better.
Quote:
Ok, cute time to come clean. Give me the entire load down on what you did to those Somic MTs that made them sound so GODLY SPECTACULAR??? I want all the details and your entire mod in full. Most of ALL PICS NOW! Give it to me baby, i can handle it!!!

Well, I'm not cute, but I can definitely talk about how to make Somic EFi-82 MTs sound godly spectacular.

STEP ONE:

Acquire burnt-in pair of Somic EFi-82 MTs

STEP TWO:

Put Shure SRH-840 pads on Somic EFi-82 MTs

STEP THREE:

???

STEP FOUR:

Profit.

Jan 31, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #6,705 of 100,404
Quote:

Don't apologize! Umm...if you're just going to go out of your computer/iPod, I'd probably lean Somics, just because an 80 Ohm headphone will probably be a bit hard to get to acceptable volumes out of an iPod. (I've never heard the DT770 Pro 80s, so I don't know about their sensitivity.) However, they are semi-open, so they do leak a little bit of sound.

Also, if you're getting a Somic, there's no reason not to get an ELE DAC for $20. Between the Somics, the 840 pads, and the ELE, you'll still be saving over $100 over the DT770, but I'm not 100% sure if they sound as good, seeing as I've never heard the 770.

Still, I like them a lot more than most of my other upper-entry-level phones (Uptown, M50, Brainwavz HM5), so they're probably competitive, if not, better.
Well, I'm not cute, but I can definitely talk about how to make Somic EFi-82 MTs sound godly spectacular.

STEP ONE:

Acquire burnt-in pair of Somic EFi-82 MTs

STEP TWO:

Put Shure SRH-840 pads on Somic EFi-82 MTs

STEP THREE:

???

STEP FOUR:

Profit.

Knowing cute "STEP THREE" would probably requires some fancy custom re-cables or a extension to get it to S500 killer levels.

You lost me on "STEP FOUR" Profit??? As in yeah baby, i scored big by getting these "Giant Killers", saved me some serious Cha Ching$$$s!!! Profit BABY!!!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back