The discovery thread!
Jan 26, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #6,482 of 100,467
Quote:

That is the same seller that Dsnuts and DannyBai got their Pro versions from.

Cash, please remember the needle test or equivalent.  I want to know if those ridges mean that there is a grill there or that is just an ornamental design.

I will be watching out for more impressions and comparisons of the Somics against other high performance headphones/IEMS.  Please, remember that it is not only important to describe the good, but also the bad and the ugly, HA, HA.  No one will get hurt by that, and everyone will be enlightened.

Cute, you have finally gone acceptably pirate.

No need for the needle test, they are definately "closed back", I haven't heard an open back since my HD650, but can't remember the effect.  These sound more open than my S500, with a definate more amount of 3D imaging!  Will have the AD900X on Monday for comparison!

Jan 26, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #6,483 of 100,467
I'm a little scared about the AD900X arriving on Monday, the package will be shaking  and shivering as it enters my Man Cave, if they see my Somic's they may go over board!  I don't know how the soundstage, 3D effect can be any better on the AD900X.  But these Somic's and female vocals are orgasmic!

Wouldn't that be something? I highly doubt that it would happen, but it'd be a definite ego-boost on my end if it did. XD.

If the AD900Xs are 1/2 as good as Dsnuts has been saying they are, you'll be in for a treat.

Just think of how they'll sound when they burn in.

Jan 26, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #6,484 of 100,467
No need for the needle test, they are definately "closed back", I haven't heard an open back since my HD650, but can't remember the effect.  These sound more open than my S500, with a definate more amount of 3D imaging!  Will have the AD900X on Monday for comparison!

Uh, check again? Definite grills on these. Check in the light, and slowly rotate the earcup. Holes all over the place. They are semi-open, for sure.

Jan 26, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #6,485 of 100,467
Quote:
Uh, check again? Definite grills on these. Check in the light, and slowly rotate the earcup. Holes all over the place. They are semi-open, for sure.

Right Cash, I was looking with the naked eye, ahem, and didn't notice, I got the flashlight out and verified, holes all over the place in the center of the grille, kind of a rectangular set about an inch wide.....holy sht they are open back, the ad where I purchased said closed back.  My bad huge, sorry, no wonder the huge soundstage and 3D effect, open sound.......I am now looking for a wet package on Monday, as I can hear my AD900X weeping all the way from Chicago!

This makes the design of the Somic, CCAW voice coils, and vented cups even closer to the AD900X,,,I won't be sleeping well before Monday!  Open back with fantastic bass, how dey do dat!

Jan 26, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #6,486 of 100,467
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

There is one thing that I know for sure and I posted it before.  Over the ear headphones will not sound right if they are closed.  It is impossible to take all the cave-like (boxy) sound from them.  Also, I do not buy into the argument about the impossibility of having big bass with open headphones.  It should be done and it can be done.  Are these IT?  I am a basshead of the xtreme kind.  But, if bass impact is right there in the "awesome layer" and there is no cave-like sound and there is no muddiness (mud),  I might be happy with these ATHs even if they do not reach the xtreme level that I want.

haha tell that to cute and his modded S500s. The man is my inspiration for not caving in for much more $$$ headphones. If he buckles and sells his S500s for these ATHs hoho. GG!!!
atsmile.gif

Yeppp Alberto, i believe open cans can have the big bass and slam of closed cans as well. The tech is there it seems. Would not be basshead levels but will more than make a basshead happy is what i am looking for as well.

edit: that was why those open somics seems so promising for cheap. haha But Ds is gonna probably flame my @ss for bringing those cheapos up in light of these godly ATHs. LoL Flame suit ON!

That is exactly what I thought about the Somics!  When the big bass and the grill get together we are in for a bass treat with all the other good stuff that non-bassy and open headphones have, as well.  That is the best of all worlds.  You have to let some sound get out of the phones when they are bassy.  Otherwise you will get mud all over the place and boxy sound on top of that.  IEMs do better at this than closed cans.  But, they have the disadvantage of lesser sound impact because they are smaller.

Don't get me hyped up (and you can't).  Just convince me.  If there are reasons to be a believer in these ATHs I will get convinced, then.

My post above (see the underlined bold faced text) is the one that got this thread's attention back on the Somics.  I am beyond convinced that good drivers and an open back design will make a bass abundant pair of headphones sound right for all genres.  That is the best of all worlds that I have been waiting for and writing about for a few months.

Cute, you got me a little scared with your post below about these Somics not having a grill.  Are you taking revenge on me for pushing you into piracy?  Please, forgive me then.  I was just trying to be supportive of Ghostfit and sfwalcer.  We are all kids here on Head-Fi.org.

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Right Cash, I was looking with the naked eye, ahem, and didn't notice, I got the flashlight out and verified, holes all over the place in the center of the grille, kind of a rectangular set about an inch wide.....holy sht they are open back, the ad where I purchased said closed back.  My bad huge, sorry, no wonder the huge soundstage and 3D effect, open sound.......I am now looking for a wet package on Monday, as I can hear my AD900X weeping all the way from Chicago!

This makes the design of the Somic, CCAW voice coils, and vented cups even closer to the AD900X,,,I won't be sleeping well before Monday!  Open back with fantastic bass, how dey do dat!

I am glad that the grills are there.  That keeps my gut instinct alive.  I will wait for more impressions.  Don't want any muddy sound on my mids or echo and closed back headphones have that.  I would even be willing to stop thirsting for bass if there was no way to get rid of the xtreme bass and muddy sound combination.  But, there is a way.  I feel it.

Jan 26, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #6,487 of 100,467
Quote:
Quote:
I have an entire list of phenomena like this in my review.

The best thing I can compare it to is going from iBuds to low-end Headfi stuff. That "jump", so to speak, where you hear a bunch of things you've never heard before.

I'm really glad you like them, cute.

They get better.

I'm a little scared about the AD900X arriving on Monday, the package will be shaking  and shivering as it enters my Man Cave, if they see my Somic's they may go over board!  I don't know how the soundstage, 3D effect can be any better on the AD900X.  But these Somic's and female vocals are orgasmic!

Oh boy!  When I said that putting together a good driver and a grill and you were in for a treat, I did not expect for anyone to be driven into sexual stuff.  Now we have a pair of headphones that drives the listener into sex climax.  It beats all I ever saw.  Can you imagine how this is gonna get in a few years when Cash, our wonder boy (or boy wonder) makes all of us some headphones that no other pair can even touch?

Jan 26, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #6,488 of 100,467
Oh boy!  When I said that putting together a good driver and a grill and you were in for a treat, I did not expect for anyone to be driven into sexual stuff.  Now we have a pair of headphones that drives the listener into sex climax.  It beats all I ever saw.  Can you imagine how this is gonna get in a few years when Cash, our wonder boy (or boy wonder) makes all of us some headphones that no other pair can even touch?

Hah. I'm an English Ed. major- drills and soldering guns are not my forte.

Also, they're not muddy. I don't know if you've heard an AKG K240 Monitor (the old 600 Ohm one), but it sounds a lot like an upgraded version of that, to me (burned in and with 840 pads).

The 840 pads boom up the bass a little bit (I like it, personally), so if you don't like that, the HM5 pads are for you.

Jan 26, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #6,489 of 100,467

I made the EXACT same mistake, don't worry.

How does sfwalcer's offer for your S500s sound now?

Jan 26, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #6,490 of 100,467
Quote:
I made the EXACT same mistake, don't worry.

How does swfalcer's offer for your S500s sound now?

I'm definately going to put one pair of my S500 up for sale next week, but without the pad modds (stock pads incl), cable will be the DHC OCC pure copper wire!

I had quite a few offers for S500 in my for sale for the S400, made a mistake posting the S400 as S500's!

Haven't seen that little rascal SF out here recently!

Jan 26, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #6,491 of 100,467
I'm definately going to put one pair of my S500 up for sale next week, but without the pad modds (stock pads incl), cable will be the DHC OCC pure copper wire!

I had quite a few offers for S500 in my for sale for the S400, made a mistake posting the S400 as S500's!

He's going to have a field day with your Somic impressions, especially with how they compare to the S500.

They still burning in nicely?

Jan 26, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #6,492 of 100,467
Quote:

My ears are burning!

Not gonna let me have 1st dibs on those godly S500s of yours??? T_T LMAO but i probably can't afford that crazy price you're gonna sell it anyways.
Quote:
He's going to have a field day with your Somic impressions, especially with how they compare to the S500.

They still burning in nicely?

^Somic Smancy I am more interested in cute's statement below.

Quote:
Have your HM5 pads ready if you have the Somic's.....my daughter is coming home to do her taxes on Monday, so I can post some pictures of the modd, and the Somic's!

OMG OMG OMG The real question is, Is your daughter................
very_evil_smiley.gif

...........finally coming home with that camera of yours so you can FINALLY take pics of your godly modded S500s?!!!...........................................what were you'll thinking i was gonna ask, sheeeesh get your minds right.
devil_face.gif

Hope she doesn't look anything like Honey Boo Boo. LMAO
Quote:
Here's a little blast from the past.

For guys that own the SHE3580.. These are what you guys need to try.. The better housing being a vented design gives a nice little upgrade to your SHE3580. I had no idea Amazon Japan had these.

All white. SHE9701. Nice.

That is why i got 3 pairs of those in black when amazon was selling them "like-new" for $4, kept 2 pairs and gave one to a friend. They are the best iems i have used for running/ exercise period. The comfort and sound is great of course. Now that is a true slickdeal of the century. ATH ADs, pissssh who needs those.

Jan 26, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #6,493 of 100,467
Quote:
Not gonna let me have 1st dibs on those godly S500s of yours??? T_T LMAO but i probably can't afford that crazy price you're gonna sell it anyways.

^Somic Smancy I am more interested in cute's statement below.

I knew you were out there trolling, just waiting for your chance.  You want bass, get those Somic's on order!

Jan 26, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #6,494 of 100,467
Quote:

I knew you were out there trolling, just waiting for your chance.  You want bass, get those Somic's on order!

Don't worry i am gonna tell my cousins to get both of these somics for dirt cheap when they visit China later this year. Not in any rush since i got too much on my plate as is. Don't want to dethrone my godly S500s just yet, i am not ready to let them go. LoL

Cute you are just a bottomless troll source, i can't help myself when you make it this easy.
ksc75smile.gif
You're GOLD my friend. And PICS NOW!!!

edit: But wait, didn't Cash say that these somic MTs are more "neutral" meaning as in a more "balanced" sound siggy??? How does it have more bass than the S500s then?
confused_face_2.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back