The discovery thread!
Jan 25, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #6,453 of 100,464
Quote:
Nope. The bass, while big and punchy, stays in its own lane. It's a tiny bit dark, but that's due to a non-sparkly treble, not any kind of bass bleed.

Which Somics are you talking about? Sorry, late to this conversation.

Jan 26, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #6,455 of 100,464
My Somic EFi-82MT is 20 minutes away from my house, so hopefully I can get it either today or Monday. Ordered them on the 15th, which is way faster than the ELE USB DAC, which I am very satisfied with btw, that took 40 days to get to my house.

Jan 26, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #6,461 of 100,464
I found out the hard way that most cheap stuff is just that. Cheap. The sound is cheap the built is usually cheap..Too much bass on most cheap. No real definition to speak of. Lacks sparkle or sometimes have too much. The few that are on the threads here are the exception. Most are poo.

Jan 26, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #6,462 of 100,464
Here's a little blast from the past.

For guys that own the SHE3580.. These are what you guys need to try.. The better housing being a vented design gives a nice little upgrade to your SHE3580. I had no idea Amazon Japan had these.

All white. SHE9701. Nice.

Jan 26, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #6,463 of 100,464
Quote:
Ooh! Nice! USPS, UPS, DHL, or FedEx?

Got the Somic's a few hours ago.......open box?  Dorky look'in for sure!  First impressions briefly......didn't like the sound with the stock pads, tried the SHR840 pads, bass was muffled and loose imo, just listened that way for about 20min, 840 pads were loose, but not too bad there.  Then went to HM5 pads with one of my modds, 1/8" felt with a two inch hole centered on the drivers, in back of the pads.  Lost some clarity but bass was way loose and veiled, as expected, too much bass....EQ down 6db at 30hz, 60hz, and 125hz, still bass didn't sound right to me.  Now I am listening to my other modded HM5 pads, same pads I am using on the S500.  Much better, like them this way, but had to EQ down 4db at 30hz, 60hz, and 125hz, nice tight quality bass, I would say about the way the S500's were before burn in.  The EQ has let the mids and highs clear up, both are very good, right now they sound close to my modded S500 cable and all.  Where they beat the S500 is imaging/separation, and depth of soundstage, 3D, S500's more 2D to me.  I really like this, I can point to exactly where each instrament and voice is coming from.  Main vocals are more forward than instraments, I like that better.  Female vocals are just outstanding, listening to Margo Timmins (Cowboy Junkies) now, maybe the best I have heard here here on my home gears.  I don't think a recable will make these sound any better.  They should get better over time.  My impressions right now, they are going to be better than the S500.  I like the bass better, and the separation/imaging.  Highs on the Somics are different to me.....listening to Patricia Barber, "Tough of trash", symbols, high hats, and snare durms are behind here and each in the correct position.  With the S500's, I don't get that, the symbols, high hats and snare drum have separation, but I don't sense they are position behind the vocalist.  Oh, the HM5 pads with my special modd fit nice and tight and are very comfortable, no O-rings needed here, the cups measure 3.4", probalby other pads out there, but the HM5's are so comfortable.  Cash was right, huge soundstage, deep soundstage, great separation, similar drivers than the ES700 (won't need those), keeping the Somics for now, AD900X here on Monday for a head to head audition.  The Somic's with the HM5 modded pads do it for me.  Now I just have to figure a way around horrible red cable.  I am thinking I can pull the 3.5mm plug and slide on some black cotton sleeving and replace the plug, cheap $5 fix.

Damn these sound good......think my S500's are loosing favoritism!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back