The discovery thread!
Dec 27, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #5,749 of 100,040
I bet you guys would never guess what I have in my ears right now.

Thanks to DannyB who flowed me an extra pair of his ipods. I have been busy with other threads as of late so I haven't been able to try these till now. Not bad. These are actually pretty good. Much better than one would think. The only issue I have with them is they don't seem to fit my ears all that well. They fit kinda loose. They sound much fuller if I press against them. One size don't fit all..I am impressed that Apple has stepped up their earphone game. About time.

Though I recently got a pair of TDK MT-300. I think the TDKs are actually a better earphone sound wise but cost $10 vs $30 ipods.

Dec 27, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #5,750 of 100,040
Quote:
I just got Somic EFi-82 MTs in the mail from Guangzhou. These things are serious business.

Picture a more neutral JVC HA-S500, only over-ear and a larger soundstage.

Essentially, take the S500, remove everything people don't like about it, and cut the price in half.

Crazy.

As I get more ear-time, I will definitely update you all with impressions.

Interesting. They look like toys but if the sound is good hey what can you say. Seems those Somic cans are the real deal. I would try one out but am tapped out. I bought so much stuff for the holidays I am waiting for the shell shock that will be my card bill. lol. Keep us updated on how they are turning out.

Dec 27, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #5,751 of 100,040
Quote:
Interesting. They look like toys but if the sound is good hey what can you say. Seems those Somic cans are the real deal. I would try one out but am tapped out. I bought so much stuff for the holidays I am waiting for the shell shock that will be my card bill. lol. Keep us updated on how they are turning out.

They look like toys, they feel like toys, they're built like toys. Somic seems to put all of their money into their drivers, which is OK by me.

These cans are very solid in all sonic areas, however. Soundstage is wide and inviting, bass is tight, punchy, and full of impact (makes the HA-S500 sound sloppy in comparison). Mids are at the forefront, and the treble does its job and gets out of the way. This seems to be the "house sound" for Somic's higher end stuff, and it's a sound signature that I can get behind 100%. 

They should be able to use AKG K240 pads and other pads with a similar diameter. I'll try them out with my Creative WoW ones once I build up the courage. Right now, there's a layer of acoustic dampening that is secured only by tape, so I don't want to mess that up (I told you they were built like toys). 

Dec 27, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #5,752 of 100,040
Quote:
Keep those CKN50 impressions coming DannyB. Cheap microdriver IEMs are always interesting.

The treble is still not to my flavor so I'll keep them on burn for a few more days.  But the bass is really good.  So far, it seems to best the FXD series in precision and punch.  I haven't compared it to the FXD70's yet but it's better than the D80's and D60's.  
Quote:
I bet you guys would never guess what I have in my ears right now.

Thanks to DannyB who flowed me an extra pair of his ipods. I have been busy with other threads as of late so I haven't been able to try these till now. Not bad. These are actually pretty good. Much better than one would think. The only issue I have with them is they don't seem to fit my ears all that well. They fit kinda loose. They sound much fuller if I press against them. One size don't fit all..I am impressed that Apple has stepped up their earphone game. About time.

Though I recently got a pair of TDK MT-300. I think the TDKs are actually a better earphone sound wise but cost $10 vs $30 ipods.

I am looking forward to hearing these TDK's also, thanks to a generous member here.  For those earpods, I like them too but it doesn't seem to fit my ears properly either.  

Dec 28, 2012 at 4:49 AM Post #5,754 of 100,040
Just received my ELE DAC when I thought it was lost in shipping. Quite a nice New Year gift for myself lol.

Currently using it with GR07 MKII, the left and right channels are working properly, sound stage is larger than my Clip Zip but I'm not sure I like its sound as much as the Clip Zip's. Maybe it will change after some burn-in
ksc75smile.gif

Dec 28, 2012 at 9:06 AM Post #5,755 of 100,040
Just a quick post.

Got my smsl fort, ghost is right, these are like a fuller, slightly warmer ele dac.

The volume dial feels pretty solid as well, all in im pretty happy.

Did notice some imbalance, but that's been catered for of course.

Dec 30, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #5,756 of 100,040
Quote:
My Fire Phoenix? With my A900X. It sounds fantabulous.

This unit is great but I believe Kiteki found one better. Should sound very similar to this unit for less. http://www.ebay.com/itm/HIFI-NEW-Version-DAC-Decoder-TE7022-CS4398-24Bit-96Khz-USB-RCA-headphone-output-/140751305382?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&hash=item20c56e7aa6  The only real issue with the Fire Phoenix is the mixed QC they have. I know more than a few guys that had to return their Fire Phoenix so this other one while it will not have the same type of power that is on the Fire Phoenix. Should have just a nice sound.

Now how does the Ele dac compare. Well I can say the Ele dac for it's ease of use and sound is the clear winner for value especially if it is your first foray into a great sounding DAC. Something like this Fire Phoenix is a complete DAC/AMP so a much more powerful and complete unit.. Sound wise these sound elegant. The Hifimediy dac has more in common with the sound to these than the ELe dac. Sound wise the CS4398 chip that is in this unit is somewhere in between the Hifimediy and the Ele in sound..Great spaciousness of the Hifimidey and a bit less in fullness to the Ele. So somewhere in between. All 3 having great clarity in the sound..None lacking in any way.

One thing I did realize was. The Sound chip is one thing but based on how it is amped it can sound completely different in different units. I have some Op Amps that I ordered I will be switching out in the amp section on this unit to find out if I can improve the sound. Which I should be able to. We will find out soon enough.

Dsnuts...

Did you ever get this unit that Kiteki found?  If so have been wondering what your impressions were vis a vis the ELE, Hifimidey and Fire Phoenix?  Thanks!

Dec 30, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #5,758 of 100,040
Quote:

Dsnuts...

Did you ever get this unit that Kiteki found?  If so have been wondering what your impressions were vis a vis the ELE, Hifimidey and Fire Phoenix?  Thanks!

I never got one. My fire Phoenix has the same internals and with my dual op amp installed I couldnt be happier with my FP.. I think that is a great price for that sound. If I was to get a SMSL fort or that CS4398 dac. I would get the CS4398 dac..
Quote:
Speaking of Kiteki, why did he get banned??? He was our favorite girl!!! I mean "she."
tongue_smile.gif

Ya he gets banned every so often. I have no idea myself but we aren't supposed to talk about that. I am sure he will be let back in.

Dec 31, 2012 at 9:22 AM Post #5,759 of 100,040
Quote:

I will be satisfied if I receive it till the end of 2012!

I was right, just received it!
I got the silver one, L/R are OK.
This sounds loud! And with S500 I can hear some hissing when it's loud! I think that needs some burn in first, or not?
First impression? Maybe I was expecting something more..I don't know if Sony Vaio's audio chipset is better than ELE-DAC but for the moment sounds the same/better and more clear compared to the muddy sound of ELE

Dec 31, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #5,760 of 100,040
Quote:
The treble is still not to my flavor so I'll keep them on burn for a few more days.  But the bass is really good.  So far, it seems to best the FXD series in precision and punch.  I haven't compared it to the FXD70's yet but it's better than the D80's and D60's.

Nice to hear they compare well to the FXD80s. The brown color looks really nice too. Do they stick out a lot in your ears? I want to get a pair and compare them with my XBA-30s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back