The discovery thread!
Jan 2, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #5,776 of 101,647
Quote:

Thx to this thread, I picked up the Monoprice 8320, SHE 3590, JVC FX101 and the Sony MHC1.

1. MP 8320 - Sounds great but the fit was a deal breaker.
  2. JVC FX101 - Insaaane bass but peakyness in treble around the 7k limited ear time to just eq-able devices. Stopped using them because of the device constraint.
  3. SHE3590 - Still loving this set. Got even more use when I found that the MHC1 tips fit them great. Using them as my workout buds.
  4. MHC1 - I found my set. I'm stopping here. FX101 bass without the peakiness. Sound is thick and warm. Found a way to deal with the cord and I love them. Just don't do a lot of twisting and bouncing with them and they're great. $24 well spent.

That's pretty much my partial year in review from this thread. Thx Ds, my wife is indirectly pissed at you. :wink:

I agree with what this man has said. I also have no problems with the MH1C's cable so I enjoy it very much. 

Jan 2, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #5,777 of 101,647
Quote:

I agree with what this man has said. I also have no problems with the MH1C's cable so I enjoy it very much. 

Another excellent and inexpensive option is the TDK MT300's. I guess you could say that I like them a lot
ksc75smile.gif

Jan 2, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #5,782 of 101,647
Quote:
For those lucky Canadians only, goes for like ~$20 or so in most places/ rest of the world. :frowning2:

Yes, but a steal at $20 :)

Jan 2, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #5,784 of 101,647
No real details as of yet  but some info from AT:

At CES 2013, Audio-Technica will be introducing a wealth of new products in a variety of categories and styles for every listener. New product highlights include the following:

- We're expanding our QuietPoint noise-cancelling headphones lineup with the over-ear ATH-ANC29 and ATH-ANC33iS in-ear/communications model with smartphone control and call answering.

- Find your fit with the all-new SonicSport line of fitness-oriented headphones for active listeners, available in a variety of stay-in-place styles and bold colors.

- Get ready for the world premiere of two exceptional value in-ear headphones that bring true high-quality sound to extremely attractive price points: $19.95 and $14.95 suggested retail!

- Four new audiophile headphones will make their debut, each designed to deliver extraordinary sound quality to satisfy the most discriminating listeners.

Jan 2, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #5,785 of 101,647
Quote:
I would say they are solid for $20. You guys want to try something new. They are excellent for that cost. They are better at $5 sure but definitely worthy for $20. 

Ok, but I enjoy the mt300's over my mh1c's, r1's and even fxd70's, so obviously I value them pretty highly :)

Jan 2, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #5,786 of 101,647
Quote:

Ok, but I enjoy the mt300's over my mh1c's, r1's and even fxd70's, so obviously I value them pretty highly :)

In what ways do you enjoy the mt300 over the mh1c apart from the cable? Are they more neutral/ detailed, and are they similar to the re0's?

Also on another note, finally sorted the piercing highs on the sony xb90ex. The sony's had driver flex from out of the box, it was strange that I wasnt getting any bass from them

Jan 2, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #5,787 of 101,647
Quote:
In what ways do you enjoy the mt300 over the mh1c apart from the cable? Are they more neutral/ detailed, and are they similar to the re0's?

I hadn't listened to the mh1c's very much lately (mainly due to that cable), so I'm glad you asked the above which got me listening to them again.

I'm no expert, so I find it a bit difficult to explain what I am hearing. But I find the main differences to be that the mt300's are more balanced and the mids (vocals, guitars etc) are more present and forward. For me this results in a fuller and richer sound and everything in the FR sounds "right there" (whereas with the mh1c, the mids might sound a bit thin/hollow to me). Looking at Sounds Glossary, this might be what is making the difference:

Quote:
Presence Range - The presence range between 4kHz and 6kHz is responsible for the clarity and definition of voices and instruments. Increasing this range can make the music seem closer to the listener. Reducing the 5kHz content makes the sound more distant and transparent.

If I raise the volume on the mt300's, everything still sounds great, whereas if I do that with the mh1c's to get the mids to where I want them, the bass or treble may become overpowering/harsh. The mt300's have a lot of bass and sub-bass, but it is tight and punchy (never boomy), and doesn't bleed into the mids. Also, the treble is never harsh or sibilant (something I am sensitive to).

Having said this, the mh1c's are pretty terrific and I enjoy them quite a bit. It's just that when I switch over to the mt300's, I find them much more engaging.

Jan 2, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #5,788 of 101,647
As the prize for the S500 contest, Ds sent me the RHA MA-350 and I have a pretty good grasp of how they sound by now.  "Clean" and "balanced" are the 2 words that adequately describe their sound signature. 

These RHA MA-350s have an aluminum housing, so combined with an extremely light fabric cable makes them really good for everyday use.  I was afraid that the fabric cable might be extremely microphonic (lots of cord noise) but it wasn't the case. In fact I went on a long run with them and there was little to no microphonics, that is with a clip on of course. When music is on, isolation is average to above average, so even when the cable rubbed against my clothing/ fingers, cord noise hardly affected the music quality. For a fabric cabled iem these RHA MA-350s are pretty awesome in it's lack of microphonics. Here is a pic of how they look:

Now onto the sound of these RHAs. I was surprised how good they sounded tbh. Their soundstage and instrument separation is on par, if not better than the FX40s, the soundstage is bigger than the 40s for sure. Like I said earlier, these RHAs have a "clean"/ "balanced" sound signature and by this I mean that the entire sonic spectrum is well represented; with extended highs that do not have harsh treble or sibilance, as well as forward mids along with snappy punchy bass/ lows. These are not analytical or "flat" iems but they do have a rather cold/ clean but not lean sound to them.  Hence when paired with my ELE DAC (also has a clean/ colder sound siggy), they don't really gel as well as say with my Sony MH1Cs (a warmer/ more bassy sound siggy). 

These RHAs are not basshead iems either, but the lows are no slouch and is present when called for, therefore this allows the mids/ highs to shine along with the bass. They are pretty "accurate" in their sonic presentation, so I would venture to say that these RHAs fall right in between the more mainstream "fun"/ warm sound signature and the more "cold"/ analytical one. I think both audiophiles and your average mainstream music listener will really like these RHAs because they offer the best of both worlds without compromising on anything.

On the side note I also received the monoprice 8320s from Ds as well, and I'll say that to me they sound better than the Thermaltake Tts. I expected harsh highs/ sibilance and lack of bass from them but surprisingly it was not the case. Listened with medium stock rubber tips and detected only slight sibilance with a pretty clean bass end, albeit lighter than the RHAs. Soundstage is nice and the mids are lush, hence acoustic music sound fantastic with them. When all said, these 8320s are out classed by the RHAs in very aspect but surprisingly not by that much.  That was why I was more shocked by what I heard from these 8320s than the RHAs initially, but I soon realized that the RHAs does everything better and with more refinement than the monoprices.

Jan 2, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #5,789 of 101,647
Nice impressions. Glad your enjoying the earphones. I am gonna save up some more to give away for the next event whenever that will be..Your collection is starting to look like my own. lol. Those RHAs are surprising. I The MP8320 sounds much better with better tips. I would tip roll with whatever you got.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back