The discovery thread!
Dec 24, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #5,701 of 100,028
YEAH BOi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My ELE DAC finally came in today.  Man is this thing small, when i shack it i can hear stuff moving inside, the 3.5mm jack moves as well. LoL Sure doesn't have a solid built quality to it.

So far i am using an external HDD usb cable to power this thing up, will try it later with a printer usb cable to see if it sounds different. Set up is a breeze, just plug and play basically. But man does this thing take a lot of juice to output a loud volume.

Using VLC player at volume 100% and have to set my "Speaker" volume to max and "Wave" to almost max in order to get a loud enough sound to come through.  Testing with my MH1Cs as we speak.......

Man this thing sounds glorious compared to the crappy stock audio card on my lappy via 3.5mm audio jack. NO MORE BUZZING SOUND!!! Thank god. LoL I can tell this little cheapo dac is going to sound better than my ipods/ sansa player already.

Early Christmas present for me WOOT WOOT!!!

I beat you to it WAYNE, stay thirsty my friend.
tongue_smile.gif

beerchug.gif

Dec 24, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #5,703 of 100,028
Quote:
Glad they finally got to you my friend.

I got mine few days ago but sound from left channel is cutting in and out. 3.5mm jack is at fault i think. Not sure what to do.
Sent email to the seller, but no response yet. Should there be any easy fix for this?

Dec 24, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #5,704 of 100,028
Quote:
Glad they finally got to you my friend.

Thanks Ds, another amazing recommendation from you.  All your recs has been spot on and more then lives up to the hype.  Nothing but true audio gems so far for so little. Appreciate all the hard work you put into these discoveries. STAY HYPED!!!

Happy holidays Ds and everyone here at head-fi.

Dec 24, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #5,705 of 100,028
Quote:

I got mine few days ago but sound from left channel is cutting in and out. 3.5mm jack is at fault i think. Not sure what to do.
Sent email to the seller, but no response yet. Should there be any easy fix for this?

Keep trying to contact them. They should send you a new one. That sucks about the few lemons. Something unavoidable when buying stuff this cheap I suppose. If not you should be able to request a full refund.

Dec 24, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #5,706 of 100,028
Quote:

Seems like it would be quick work with a soldering iron. I remember when my Clip+ started doing that. I refused to buy another one, so I watched a couple of youtbe videos on how to solder, and the rest is history.

It might be worth looking into. Learning how to solder opens up a world of infinite possibilities. 

Dec 24, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #5,707 of 100,028
My SMSL Fort came in today. I'm very bad at describing audio so far in my limited experience with headphones, but it is MUCH better than my onboard audio, and the volume knob is soooo nice to have. 
L3000.gif

Dec 25, 2012 at 2:07 AM Post #5,709 of 100,028
These Somic MH463s are the real deal, sound-wise.

An excerpt from my review:

SOUND QUALITY: 

BASS: Loud, boomy, and kind of obnoxious in bass-heavy genres without M50 pads, but is punchy and articulate in more "natural" ones.
LOW-MIDS: Slightly recessed and distant, but still hefty and with a good amount of "body" to them.
HIGH-MIDS: Exceptional. From 350-700 Hz, the MH463 is unstoppable. Airy, a bit sparkly, and right at the forefront, which is exactly where they should be. The high-mids truly set this headphone apart from everything else I have heard. 
TREBLE: It's here, it exists, it does its job, and it leaves. Not harsh or grating, nor recessed and hollow, the MH463s treble gets done what it needs to get done. You'll know when a vocalist breathes or a drummer hits a hi-hat, but it's not painfully obvious unless the track calls for it.
SOUNDSTAGE: Wide, inviting, definitely not intimate. Things that are hard panned sound like they're coming from about 95-100 degrees left or right (slightly over your shoulder). Everything fills in quite nicely.

BUILD/FEATURES:

DURABILITY: Not great, it appears. This headphone employs a similar strain relief to the M50...and seeing how my M50's strain relief broke, this is definitely vulnerable. Don't move your head back and forth too much while listening, because the MH463s creak like there's no tomorrow. Also, the extenders are very rigid and tight, sort of like the JVC HA-S400. Perhaps they just need to be broken in. 
COMFORT: Without the M50 pads, the MH463 is unbearable for more than 30 minutes to an hour. However, they do have a well-cushioned headband, so once the M50 pads are on, they are an absolute breeze to wear for long periods.
APPEARANCE: They look...decent, I guess. Save for the residue, they appear pretty plain and standard.
ACCESSORIES: Hope you like 1/4 inch adapters, because that is all you're getting.

With Turtle Beach X12 pads, as I just found out today, the bass issues go away entirely. The bass goes from inconsistent and awkward to a bit of a bass-heavy, but refined sound. Imagine the HA-S500 bass, but on Ritalin. Soundwise, these smoke the HA-S500, and the HA-S500 smokes most things under $150. The HD-600 comparisons may be a bit much, but believe the hype. On sound alone, these are worth at least 3 times their asking price, if not more.

Dec 25, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #5,713 of 100,028
Man oh man, I have never heard my audio like i am hearing with my ele dac!!! That is if you like your right/ left channels reversed. LoL

Ok looks like a lot of these ele dac has their R/L audio outputs reversed as my blue ele also have the same issue.  So looked up online to see if you can fix this problem. Was able to find solutions if you are using VLC player or Media Player Classic.

http://forums.thedigitalfix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=564917

For Media Player Classic: Click on play, then click on audio, then options: Under "Internal Filters" is "audio switcher" with options on the right for you to play with. Click on the "Enable Custom Channel Mapping " box to enable the feature.

You will see "Front Left" as "1" and "Front Right" as "2" boxes checked by default. All you have to do now to reverse the Left/ Right channels is uncheck the "1" box for Front Left then check it as "2" and uncheck "2" for the Front Right and check it as "1".  Then click on apply. The final setting should show Front Left with only a "2" checked and Front Right with only a "1" checked.

For VLC Player it seems easier but there is a HUGE problem. It allows you to pick "reverse stereo" BUT only for ONE track, after the track is finished playing it goes back to "stereo" output again. Looks like others have this problem as well.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080922022659AAOLlR9

I followed the link to the so called solution on that lamo apple site from the link above but it doesn't even address the same issue. It's for burning reverse playlists onto CDs LMAO or am i reading it wrong??? Cuz that apple page has nothing related to VLC "reverse stereo" problem whatsoever.

If anyone out there knows how to set "reverse stereo" permanently on VLC player for all playing tracks please help out. I like to use VLC over Media Player Classic and it bugs the hell outta me that it changes back to "stereo" after every song.

The ele dac is flawless if not for this one MAJOR issue. But it is pretty interesting to listen to all your music in opposite channels. LoL

Dec 25, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #5,715 of 100,028
Not sure if I'm getting these channel issues that everyone else is getting. I got a black one from travelinwind and hooking it up via otg to my s3, eberything is fine. Haven't tried my pc yet thon hopefully I won't. Now... just need an amp for this thing. I was looking at the Schiit modi... :)

Oops, did I say modi? I meant the magni. :X

Users who are viewing this thread

Back