The discovery thread!
Dec 23, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #5,686 of 100,024
Quote:
where's the review?

Review of Monster Isports
These were purchased for $29.99 from Tigerdirect + tax, free shipping.
Build quality: It seems good, but mine arrived defective, right nozzle is loose in its bay, so they are exchanging it.
Overall, cable seems to be well made, microphonics are not bothersome, and not very existent. The tips are very comfortable and comes in wide range of sizes, along with the hook holds. Hooks are not painful, but made of hard plastic, unlike the Bose IE2 hooks which are a silicon type material. Hooks help the earphones stay in ear, and I do think these are good phones for exercise, goes not very deep, but stays in ear, very light for a Monster product (unlike the MDTs that I have, that are heavy).

Sound:
Well I listened to these first with Rush album - Test for Echo, and was very surprised how they handle rock music. These are not bassy phones at all. So if one expects the traditional Beats (monster) bass, well you will be disappointed. But it is ample, and it is of good quality. For Rock music it works great. The soundstage is well placed, not wide, forward and definitely emphasizes the vocals. It is as if the singer is right in front of you. Guitars are crunchy but a bit lacking the full detail and separation, the base is great, I was able to hear most notes without any issues in all the songs base line. Drums are good, phones handle fast tracks fairly well. I would think with some burn in things will get even better.

For $29.99 I think these are great phones for the use. If I was to buy them just for daily listening purposes I would still consider them a good value, but not excellent. The ATH-CMK50s that Dsnuts recommended back in the day for like $25 was a deal for such sound for example, but the Isports are not with the similar price point. But when you put the variable of sports into the equation, things change and these phones for this price become an excellent value. I will definitely be using them for all my exercise routine, jog, run, strength training, hikes etc. I was using the CMK50s for my exercise routine for a while, as they are very comfortable and stay in ears, but now they are not to be found anywhere, they will go back to my special listening drawer, and the Isports will be the choice of daily exercise phones. In all honesty, I am mainly worried about the quality issues more than anything else, if they do last a couple of years of exercise, I would be more than happy with the purchase.

Dec 23, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #5,688 of 100,024
Quote:

Review of Monster Isports

thanks! 
beerchug.gif

now, i wonder how the new ATH-CKP500 compares 
rolleyes.gif

Dec 23, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #5,690 of 100,024
Quote:
As I keep looking and thinking about an amp to use with the ELE DAC, I am now wondering if I should consider upping my budget a little bit?  Has anyone has used this little DAC with an O2 (Objective2 headphone amp)?  It appears that I can get one of these for about the same price as a Bravo Ocean or Indeed G3 Hybrid.  

http://www.mayflowerelectronics.com/products.html

Your advice?

I think that raising your budget would be a good idea.  There is no use in upgrading to a pricier and (presumably) better amplifier later, if you have the money to get the upgrade right now.

Still, I think that a hybrid tube amplifier is the way to go.

Here is one, that I would have bought if I could have gotten it at this price when I was looking for an amp:

http://www.amazon.com/Little-Dot-standard-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B00A2QM5O6/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1356225578&sr=1-3&keywords=hybrid+tube+amplifier

If you have soldering skills, some technical knowledge on electronics and interest in using both, you can get a Bravo V2 and modify it to sound much better than anything costing twice as much as the Bravo.

Take your time to do some online research on comparisons between amps.  It will be worth it.

What is your location?

Dec 23, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #5,692 of 100,024
I would say a Little Dot MKII would be better for those Beyers for some more dough. Mind you, it probably won't play as nicely with a range of cans like the Ocean will. I can't seem to find any power ratings on the Ocean either other than a simple "500mw". That doesn't really tell me much. Although aesthetically the Ocean is adorable.

Dec 23, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #5,698 of 100,024
Quote:
I think that raising your budget would be a good idea.  There is no use in upgrading to a pricier and (presumably) better amplifier later, if you have the money to get the upgrade right now.

Still, I think that a hybrid tube amplifier is the way to go.

Here is one, that I would have bought if I could have gotten it at this price when I was looking for an amp:

http://www.amazon.com/Little-Dot-standard-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B00A2QM5O6/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1356225578&sr=1-3&keywords=hybrid+tube+amplifier

If you have soldering skills, some technical knowledge on electronics and interest in using both, you can get a Bravo V2 and modify it to sound much better than anything costing twice as much as the Bravo.

Take your time to do some online research on comparisons between amps.  It will be worth it.

What is your location?

I am in Columbus, Ohio, USA.  

It seems that I am spending the majority of my days online researching amps! That Little Dot for something like $88 looks very good. And while I haven't used a soldering iron in several years, modifying a V2 is also a very appealing option. And just today, Dsnuts brought to our attention the new inexpensive Schiitz products, so now the $99 Magni is another contender. A ton of choices! Again, thanks for your time. Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back