The discovery thread!
Oct 4, 2012 at 9:50 AM Post #3,602 of 100,396
Quote:
Just fyi, Philips SHE5105 is now only
$14 at Amazon. It's a better version of 3580 with slightly better sound (per dsnut), much better cable and an inline Mic control. His biggest complaint back when he wrote the review was the price, which at $50 was many times that of 3580 with similar sound quality. But now at $14 the value is hard to beat imo.
Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2

how are the 7000, 8000 and 9000??

Oct 4, 2012 at 10:02 AM Post #3,603 of 100,396
Quote:
$14 at Amazon. It's a better version of 3580 with slightly better sound (per dsnut), much better cable and an inline Mic control. His biggest complaint back when he wrote the review was the price, which at $50 was many times that of 3580 with similar sound quality. But now at $14 the value is hard to beat imo.

Im about to buy me one of these :wink:

Oct 4, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #3,604 of 100,396
Quote:

At this point I should really have some self control on these cheaper IEM's but just copped a pair. LoL

Damn that slickdealers in me!!! Have always wanted to try out that 3580 sound, and these 5105 have better built and improved sound, has mic, better cable, more sexy looking........... just trying to persuade myself why I am buying these that's all folks move on people move on. LoLoLoLO

Quote:

yep, they are good and best part is that they are "free".
Are they better than my favorite Chepos?  (3580 and Fx40), its verrry close.  The earbud wins cause all the apple controls they got, but the 3580 and Fx40 are cheaper, so they got the upperhand there.

Are they better than most of the iems and heaphones under 100?  man, thats like saying that the best iem under 100 is the 3580...  man, you got tu lunatic or a hardcore appleluver for such a statment,  and you those you will find, so not a surprise.

just for the record, i love apple products, i got a Shufle, Ipad and IP4s so no bias here, but these earbud being better than anything under 100? got be crazy,  under 40 and it gots stiff competition (Mx580 earbud comes to mind).  BUT DONT GET ME WRONG.. they are very good man, very good.  i would recommend them for people searching earbuds or iems under 40.

WoW, looks like I got to steal a pair from a friend. ha  Thanks rick, seems apple really did something magical with these esp. since there are so many sound limitations of earbud construction etc. Nice, nice. Props to apple for bringing something nice and different for "free".

Quote:
Im about to buy me one of these :wink:

beerchug.gif

Oct 4, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #3,606 of 100,396
Originally Posted by toptalent 

Could you please post a link to it?
I looked on Amazon and can't find it, hopefully they'll get me a cheap deal for shipping or something!
Otherwise no go!
Thanks

Oct 4, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #3,608 of 100,396
I'm about to start some controversy with this statement (which is okay), but the FXD80 is what the SM3 would sort of sound like if it was a dynamic IEM, but better. And actually to my ears now the D80 is what the SM3 should have sounded like (a little bit more space but great details and 3-D imaging). Just my opinion. I'm really digging this X80 now as you all can see. But it does take tons of burn-in to get the D80 to nirvana state.

Oct 4, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #3,609 of 100,396
Quote:
I'm about to start some controversy with this statement (which is okay), but the FXD80 is what the SM3 would sort of sound like if it was a dynamic IEM, but better. And actually to my ears now the D80 is what the SM3 should have sounded like (a little bit more space but great details and 3-D imaging). Just my opinion. I'm really digging this X80 now as you all can see. But it does take tons of burn-in to get the D80 to nirvana state.

I'm a believer in new technologies and even though the sm3 should be much more capable, I have no problems accepting your statement. hell, I wan't another pair of iems already and the ones I've ordered are still not here XD seeing all this positive feedback on higher end CNT jvcs, I have no reasons for disbelief...

ok, as you have heard sony xb90ex, what do you think is better for classical and jazz? them or the jvc fxd80. I always listen to highest quality recordings (if possible) in lossless, like SACD and LP rips (yeah, I know :D) and it seems like the integrated sound card on my asus motherboard is quite good - via hd audio.

Oct 4, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #3,610 of 100,396
Quote:

I'm a believer in new technologies and even though the sm3 should be much more capable, I have no problems accepting your statement. hell, I wan't another pair of iems already and the ones I've ordered are still not here XD seeing all this positive feedback on higher end CNT jvcs, I have no reasons for disbelief...

ok, as you have heard sony xb90ex, what do you think is better for classical and jazz? them or the jvc fxd80. I always listen to highest quality recordings (if possible) in lossless, like SACD and LP rips (yeah, I know :D) and it seems like the integrated sound card on my asus motherboard is quite good - via hd audio.

Overall sound (clarity, details and transparency) I would give it to the FXD80 without the slightest hesitation. Now, I haven't heard bass as deep (yet not boomy) in an IEM as I've heard in the XB90ex. With it's good mids and decent highs, I think it does strings probably better than the D80. Taking in the entire sound spectrum, however, the D80 wins. Space between instruments in jazz recordings is just spectacular. And the D80 and D70 are just micro-details monsters. Actually, I think the D70 does a better job at micro-details, but the D80 gives more weight and substance to instruments. Everything is more 3-D in the D80s. I have to reiterate (and Dsnuts has stated this countless of times), you are not going to ever hear the full capability of the FXD80 (or any of these carbon nanotubes phones) unless you commit to some extensive burn-in time before deciding to sell them because you don't hear this that or the other. The D80 punches way beyond it's average retail price with a long burn-in period (I would say a minimum of 200 hours).

Oct 4, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #3,613 of 100,396
Quote:

Overall sound (clarity, details and transparency) I would give it to the FXD80 without the slightest hesitation. Now, I haven't heard bass as deep (yet not boomy) in an IEM as I've heard in the XB90ex. With it's good mids and decent highs, I think it does strings probably better than the D80. Taking in the entire sound spectrum, however, the D80 wins. Space between instruments in jazz recordings is just spectacular. And the D80 and D70 are just micro-details monsters. Actually, I think the D70 does a better job at micro-details, but the D80 gives more weight and substance to instruments. Everything is more 3-D in the D80s. I have to reiterate (and Dsnuts has stated this countless of times), you are not going to ever hear the full capability of the FXD80 (or any of these carbon nanotubes phones) unless you commit to some extensive burn-in time before deciding to sell them because you don't hear this that or the other. The D80 punches way beyond it's average retail price with a long burn-in period (I would say a minimum of 200 hours).

I can concur with eric on his love of the FXD's.  I've never heard any iem's that I enjoy as much as I do with these either.  I know it's not for everyone but it just sounds like the perfect earphone for my tastes.  Especially the D80.  

Oct 4, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #3,614 of 100,396
Quote:

thanks for the reply. I'm more and more positive that the sonys are for me. although, I'll have to buy those JVC fxd80s as my other pair and call quits on iem craze I've developed as of later LOL. 

it seems that I'll be happier with the xd80 as opposed to xd70, as I like some heft with notes. I'll just have to wait until they are sold in us for cheaper than they are right now on ebay. 

as for burn in, I'm a believer of burn in. I usually burn my iems every nights for two weeks straight on pink/white/brown noises and frequency swipes. that's about 150 hours of burn in and adding the day time listening there will be no problems with that :D or I could just extend that by adding one more week of night time burn-in sessions lol.

thanks again, I'll try to do a proper review when my xb90ex finally come here and possibly compare them to my beloved Able Planet SI 500s. they are not getting proper attention as I think, maybe because of the prices right now... But I can't stop wondering if these are actually quite close to the original ddm 2s. everything I've read about radius ddm2s can be said about these two. granted, that may be incorrect, and if I had a chance to listen to originals, maybe these won't sound as good, but still - they are darned good. best in every aspect of audio quality I've yet heard from anything (not only iems)

Oct 4, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #3,615 of 100,396
Quote:
It looks like they just jacked up the price to $22. Is this a head-fi effect? On the plus side, it now has prime shipping if you're a member.
Sent from my Toshiba Excite 7.7 using Tapatalk 2

That's for the purple one... yeah colors on amazon could get very different in price :)
EDIT: now the black is 22, it was 14 this morning .o.o

Users who are viewing this thread

Back