The discovery thread!
Dec 30, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #316 of 100,108
Short update, after having listened to the SHE3580 for a few more hours today, there's one feature that stands out for me and it's transparency. These phones are very good at opening a window to the music and removing themselves from the equation. This is mainly due to their clarity, balance and timbre, but also because they're so tiny and light, you hardly feel them in your ears. Color me impressed.
smile_phones.gif

Dec 30, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #317 of 100,108

Quote:
Dsnuts, a few other questions as I am ready to give up on these Phillips; do you have any "value" finds in earbuds category as I have seen only your iem's & full size?  I was thinking of trying Yuin PK3 as I have seen many recommendations for it in the earbud category.  Have you heard those and if so how would it compare to the various others you have recommended?  Also I thought I read early in this thread that someone asked if you would post all your recs with kind of a ranking of them, did you end up posting that?  Thanks again.

There seems to be more and more choices now a days for good to great sounding budget stuff.. That is only good news for all of us.. The way cheaper stuff sounds now a days. Other manufacturers gotta take note and deliver more for the dollar now a days and again that only means we win with more and better choices.

Those tips can be kinda hard to put on but not too bad once you get it. I have been busy finishing up the year at my business. Once I get some time I will work on a budget fi earphone comparison and you guys will be the first to see it.. I figure I would let you guys discover these all here first. In any case both these iems represent some of the best money can purchase at the moment for cheaper great sounding stuff.  Iems such as the XePort 3010 and the 5010 are also worth getting and add to the fact that these 2 can be bought for less than $30 on their web site which ships from San Diego makes it a good deal for anyone in the US.

I think there is probably a lot of rebranding going on that we aren't aware of. The XePorts for example look just like MEElectronics earphones..They are probably using the same drivers as well but with different tweeks to them..If any of you guys think you found one the community should know about. By all means let everyone know about them or you can contact me and I can certainly give a listen. It is all about the discovery and there is a lot out there that we are just not aware of I bet.

Dec 30, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #319 of 100,108
Just received my pair of SHE3580s from Amazon.

Some initial impressions:

1. Damn, these things are really tiny. I was having trouble getting seal on them until I turned them upside down and switched ears. There wasn't enough room for the cable and strain relief in at the bottom of my ear. Flipped and with my trusty Sony hybrids, great seal.
  2. Isolation is pretty mediocre. Not really surprising considering how little there is to these. I would say they're on par with my CW31s, a little worse than the MEE M6.
  3. Sound: Everyone kept talking about the deep sub bass, and how the bass was in your face with these, so I cued up Minnesota's Starry Eyed Remix and was really disappointed at how flat it sounded. It didn't sound awful, just not as bassy as I was expecting. So why not throw a little EQ at the situation. Grab the bottom slider and as I slid it higher, my grin grew larger and larger, until finally my mouth dropped open in amazement. These little things were pumping sub-bass levels that I had a hard time getting out of my TF10s and they made a supposedly "somewhat bassy" IEM like the CW31 sound WEAK. The extension on these bests my expectations.
  4. Ok, so how is the rest of the sound? Remarkably good. Separation I would never have expected from a set of headphones that costs less than 2 gallons of milk. This was really clear when I played Inspired Flight's "It's The Chemicals", everything well separated with a nice wide soundstage for an IEM, much wider than both the MEE Elec CW31 and M6. The highs are crisp, almost a little more sparkle than I care for, but I'm pretty treble sensitive, leading to my criticism that there's something pretty fatiguing about the sound. I'm going to burn them all weekend and see if that changes. I did notice a hint of sibilance on songs heavy on the high treble like Mord Fustang's Lick The Rainbow. I'm hoping that will loosen up and make these easier to listen to for extended times. 

All in all, you've converted another skeptic. I thought there was no way these headphones could possibly have the kind of sound you claimed they would. I can see that if they lose their fatiguing nature as they burn in, these will easily supplant the CW31s as my daily "bumming around" IEM.

Music used for initial impressions:
http://soundcloud.com/minnesota/starry-eyed-minnesota-remix
http://inspiredflight.bandcamp.com/track/its-the-chemicals-feat-scarub
http://themusicninja.net/newsongs/Lick%20The%20Rainbow%20(Original%20Mix).mp3

Dec 30, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #320 of 100,108
Nice impressions..These do change for the better with burn and you are right the sound these emit is astonishing. Almost magical how they sound. One would never assume this sound can come from such small buds. I have a feeling these will grow on you as they have for me. Burn my friend and give them another go..

I was in the camp that thought bigger drivers mean bigger bass. These threw a wrench on that theory.

Dec 30, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #322 of 100,108
Ya I think it stems from my full sized headphones. The thought that bigger drivers means bigger bass..I suppose it truly depends on the tuning on the drivers more so than just size. The guys that just bought or have the Philips SHE 3580 know what I am talking about. These things almost disappear in your ear they are so small. Only the ass end of the buds can be seen with the cord sticking out of them.

Yet they throw out bass like a Boss. And more than just bass all of it is so coherent smooth sounding. Not congested or lacking like most sub $10 stuff out there..If you did a blind test and just judged the sound that came from the Philips. I can certainly guarantee not a person on this planet would guess that this sound comes from a  Philips phone and not just any Philips but one of their cheapest buds. 

Dec 30, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #323 of 100,108
dsnuts you are 100% right about the she3580, they blew all the other buds out the box literally!!!! I have been burning for the past few days my other phones you guys recommended here, and they are getting better but still not 100% there sound wise. these Phillips OMG! straight out the box sound absolutely fantastic, when my other phones color vocals and highs when the bass gets heavy, these do not! not even a little! clear strong bass, clear smooth vocals, clear crispy highs! they do just about everything right for me. i just wish the build was a little nicer, cable is very chintzy. I'm burning now but to tell you the truth I would not mind if they just stay the way they are... dsnuts I can't imagine this getting any better....all this for just 10.00, SWEET!!!!

just wanted to add after more detailed listening these suckers are very high energy, loud with no fatigue to me, I also noticed alot more new textures to the music I know and listen to daily...I just orders 2 more for the hell of it...

Dec 30, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #324 of 100,108
Dsnuts I believe you've got yourself some headline worthy impressions of the SHE3580 here :D

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 31, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #325 of 100,108

Quote:
dsnuts you are 100% right about the she3580, they blew all the other buds out the box literally!!!! I have been burning for the past few days my other phones you guys recommended here, and they are getting better but still not 100% there sound wise. these Phillips OMG! straight out the box sound absolutely fantastic, when my other phones color vocals and highs when the bass gets heavy, these do not! not even a little! clear strong bass, clear smooth vocals, clear crispy highs! they do just about everything right for me. i just wish the build was a little nicer, cable is very chintzy. I'm burning now but to tell you the truth I would not mind if they just stay the way they are... dsnuts I can't imagine this getting any better....all this for just 10.00, SWEET!!!!

just wanted to add after more detailed listening these suckers are very high energy, loud with no fatigue to me, I also noticed alot more new textures to the music I know and listen to daily...I just orders 2 more for the hell of it...

Now your experience was almost the same as mine. I ended up ordering 2 more myself. I mean it was an automatic thing for me. If I am not gonna end up using the extras you bet I will give them to friends and family to hear. Energetic is a good description as well as musical, non fatiguing sound. It is that smoothness again that just lets you enjoy your tunes. Heck I was so impressed I thought well if these sound this good then I wonder how their rich bass earphones sounded. Nope.. Not even close. I ended up selling those today to some dude that wanted big bass. He got big bass alright with not much else. These and the isurus make me appreciate better balance in earphones..Once you get this type of sound and you get a phone that lacking you can clearly tell.

How crazy is that. $10 and $20 earphones that have become my litmus tests..

Quote:
Dsnuts I believe you've got yourself some headline worthy impressions of the SHE3580 here
biggrin.gif

Na no credit goes to me. It is all you my friend. If you didn't throw this up on these threads several months ago. .I would have certainly passed these up if I saw them at the local Kmart. I mean just look at that cheapo plastic packaging. You look at them and there is no way you are looking at buds that sound this good..Even kids will pass these up I bet because there is nothing on the packaging that says. Big Bass Xplostion! And no one in their right mind is gonna buy a purple/ pink one. Well I suppose if they were $5. Then maybe. So unassuming ..See now what I wonder is how Joker would rate these.. If he scored the CC51 a 7.7 I would put at least a 8 to 8.5 in sound on these easy. Cus to me they are superior in sound to them..

Dec 31, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #326 of 100,108
Sorry if this has been asked before but I hear the stock tips of the isurus suck. What tips are the best and where can I get them.

Dec 31, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #327 of 100,108
Maybe you just don't like the CC51 sound-sig. Preference =/= technical merit. Of course I haven't heard these Phillips. If I come across them MAYBE I'll pick them up. If I can get them in pink.
tongue.gif

Back to the Isurus. Did I mention I hate the mother******* j-cord?
angry_face.gif
I just could not get rid of the microphnics today because the j-cord kept rubbing against the back of my collar every time I turned my head. Other than that these are pretty impressive.

Dec 31, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #328 of 100,108
Well they are not bad per se as they fit the isurus perfectly as they were made for them..I would try the stock ones first and see how you like them. I did noticed if you use tips that have a smaller sound hole this tames the highs a bit giving a better balance to the sounds. Otherwise the highs might be a bit too extended for your liking. They are listenable that way but just changing the tips to a smaller holed one and you get all the detail with less sharpness. It is worth trying out different tips. Several of the guys report MEElectronics biFlanges and I found some tips in my big bag o extras that makes the sound hole almost half the size in diameter and everything is balanced just right for me. I have a pic of this tip on my Business computer. Will throw that back up tomorrow.

I almost wonder if I can use some double sided tape to cut out a small circular donut to put in the sound hole might do the same thing. Might have to do some experimenting. The strange thing is I tried the Sony hybrids and even though those have a smaller hole it almost does the opposite and becomes even brighter for me.. I am surprised at just how much the sound changes changing the tips. I will have to do some experimentation on mine..For now try them out and try other tips you have. You might find one that leads to a better sound for you.

Dec 31, 2011 at 1:31 AM Post #329 of 100,108

Quote:
Maybe you just don't like the CC51 sound-sig. Preference =/= technical merit. Of course I haven't heard these Phillips. If I come across them MAYBE I'll pick them up. If I can get them in pink.
tongue.gif

Back to the Isurus. Did I mention I hate the mother******* j-cord?
angry_face.gif
I just could not get rid of the microphnics today because the j-cord kept rubbing against the back of my collar every time I turned my head. Other than that these are pretty impressive.

I forgot to mention this accessory is needed on these. How can I forget.   I keep it up on front and it isn't as bad. Or you can wear this fashionable number and even comes with a cell phone pocket.

Dec 31, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #330 of 100,108
ROTFLMAO nutman you're hilarious! Where do you keep coming up with crazy stuff like that!? :D

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back